Second PA chapter 2010 rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Watkins Glen in also a great location, near the winery, Glenn Curtiss Avaition museum, Harris Hill (soaring center), Corning, finger lakes, etc.

Last edited:

lelandpa

There's also a nice place in Mansfield, its called Bucktails its close to the PA Grand canyon. Beautiful country up there!

Clark

Re Freckles mention of the Delaware Water Gap. We recently stayed at the Outdoor World Timothy Lake South and thoroughly enjoyed the park, particularly Dingmans Falls. We are going for an overnight at the Pocono Vacation Park near Stroudsburg, PA next week. Listed as having 300 pull through sites and reasonable rates. I'll take note and give you a report. Anyone else been to this campground?
Clark

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Clark
Hey, give us a full report about the Pocono Vacation Park when you get back.

lelandpa
You're right this part of the state is real Beautiful country. Hill state park is nice also.

dieselsweetheart

Freckles was just at the Hills Creek State Park. I don't think it's appropriate for a rally though...remember how stupid some of those sites were layed out? And if there's only the lake there, thpse who don't really use a lake won't have anything else.
True the PA Grand Canyon is pretty, but we need to pick a better CG if we want to get in that area...

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We also have some very nice State Parks here in NY , but to Set a section or group of site together would be impossible do to the reservation system. We have only been talking with private park's. Hill's Creek State park was very nice and we did enjoyed are stay. Campsite (A8) This is a Dog loop and a very large site

dieselsweetheart

Yeah we have to do another KOA or a non-state park type of CG if we want to be paid attention to.... Deb from NJ is having issues too... some folks just don't want to host groups...or some CGs are mostly seasonals or permanents...esp. when you get closer to the beach....

We will come up with something. We had a second choice for a KOA up near PSU and Williamsport...we can always check that one out with a ride up...

porthole

Retired
Re Freckles mention of the Delaware Water Gap. We recently stayed at the Outdoor World Timothy Lake South and thoroughly enjoyed the park, particularly Dingmans Falls. We are going for an overnight at the Pocono Vacation Park near Stroudsburg, PA next week. Listed as having 300 pull through sites and reasonable rates. I'll take note and give you a report. Anyone else been to this campground?
Clark

Where is this and can you give any more info?

We will be passing through that area this coming weekend.

dieselsweetheart

Ok Clark...give us a report when you visit the Pocono Park. Do they like groups? (Some can't be bothered)... Is there a spot there for a pot-luck dinner...(like a pavilion) we could have.... say, big enough for 40 people at least?

Jim and I would take a field trip up there too, but we'll wait for your preliminary report. No use us going if you don't like it...

porthole

Retired
Clark & Carolyn and us are here now. Took a few pics and will post later. And yes they have a "rally section" We are in it now.

dieselsweetheart

Hey gang, Jim and I have a tentative date for the next rally as the w/e after Father's Day....I'm sorry, don't have a calendar right now...but it would be the w/e AFTER Father's day.... how does that seem for everyone??

Still waiting on a report from the Pocono park as a potential site...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would love to visit PA again and I believe that date (June 25, 26, 27? - Fathers day is 20th) fits into my calendar.

porthole

Retired
Listed as having 300 pull through sites

Seems as though most of them are "seasonal"
The rally area seemed OK, but Clark was informed that many week and monthly campers reserve some of those spots.

The rally area as well as most of the campground have awning to awning sites, that is nice is you are traveling with someone.

The area we were in was fairly level, most of the fire rings seemed to have been absconded by seasonals using 2 stacked rings.
Our site was long enough to leave the truck connected overnight with a good 20-25' behind us and 5' in front.

Sites were relatively clean, dog friendly, although not everyone picks up after their dog :confused:.

Golf carts are the norm for the locals.

One thing I didn't care for but would not stop me is that the "3/4 blend" gravel road was more dust then rock, so it made for dirty dog paws after walking in the wet grass.

There is a shower rest room building a short walk from the site. Don't know about the female side but the men's shower was 2 showers and 1 "stall". Wonder how that works out with a full camp.

Never saw the store or "arcade" area (was closed) and it is on the other side of the campground.

I could not find a "park map"

Rates are reasonable and ala carte.
This past weekend it was 27 for W&E and 32 for WESC.
Extra 3.75 for each 7-17 year old.

I can't recommend as I am more familiar with NJ campgrounds. In that aspect I would definitely go there. But you "Penners" may be used to something a little different. Clark seemed to think it would be a bit far from the left coast of PA.

Our site row was the closet to a road. Although it didn't seem that busy the noise level suggested it was a 40-60 mph road, with some trucks.

Pictures to follow.

lelandpa

Hi Cheryl, we just stayed at Shangri la on the creek in Milton, PA (it is a Jellystone park franchise), we loved it there, sites are huge and level, there is also a big pavilion there for groups, if you are interested in checking it out the website is www.slcreek.com

Status
Not open for further replies.