Second PA chapter 2010 rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill40

Hi gang, we found a great CG up in Somerset.Hickory Hollow. I know all the Dodge & Fored guys are going to find this had too beleive but the chevy had a break down. GM calls it the parking lot syndrome. This is NO PS when going slow. Bummer. The people at HH were great worked us in on holiday and were able to find someone to get us back on the road. We are going to try and stop back on the trip back if they are open. Little out of the way for some but right in the middle of the Laural highlands. Will keep you all up on the trials and progress on the trip[ to CA. Made it too Dayton after losing four days.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Bill,

We live about 15 minutes from there. Hickory Hollow is a nice campground. It is fairly new, about 3 years old. The owners are improving things and adding things every year. Lots of outdoor recreation nearby.
I have talked to the owner a few times (we do ice cream at the campground) and she is very nice. I could talk to her and see if they could accommodate a Rally? Let me know.

dieselsweetheart

Jamie, sounds good to have you ask her... where is this in relation to the turnpike, for example?

Porthole, your place sounded a bit iffy... on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the absolute worst (would never stay there again) to a 5 (high recommend it)...what score would you assign?

JWalker

Cheryl,

Hickory Hollow is located about 7-8 miles south of the Pa turnpike (exit 110) on route 281. Very easy to get to.
Campground is located:

10 min. from Restaurants
10 min. from fuel stations
10 min. supermarkets (Wal-Mart, Giant Eagles)
20 min. from Seven Springs Resort (ATV tours, Sporting Clays etc.)
30 min from Ohiopyle (white water rafting / Hiking-biking)
30 min. Falling Water
30 Min. Flight 93 site

I will stop in and talk with them this weekend.

bill40

If you get to talk to Brenda she was very helpful. They had a big cook out going on Sunday with a DJ. New Pool and a water slide for the kids. It is only 7 miles off the Somerset exit. Big firemens jubelee going on as we were pulling out. Wish we would have had time to visit some of the sites.

porthole

Retired

Porthole, your place sounded a bit iffy... on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the absolute worst (would never stay there again) to a 5 (high recommend it)...what score would you assign?

The Place was OK. The transient was nice, the other side - well.

We only stayed one night and comparing it to south Jersey campgrounds I would give it a 4-5. Comparing it to Pine Grove - maybe a 2.

I would definitely go back, especially if I was traveling with one other person (awning to awning setup). But I don't think I'd spend more then 2-3 days there.

And it is reasonable.
Rally rates for next year, from the flyer I got:

10 trailers - 26
15 trailers - 25
20 trailers - 24
25 trailers - 23

Extra adults 5
kids 2.5 (each I think), under 7 free

Free fire wood (didn't say how much) & gift certificate for a free weekend.

Pictures to follow after the power failures stop.

JWalker

Hickory Hollow Campground

Cheryl,

Here are the pictures of Hickory Hollow. Most of the pictures are of the sites they would reserve for the rally. They do have that weekend after Fathers Day open. Rally price is $27/night. The pavilion has electric. 7.5 miles from Turnpike. www.hickoryhollowcampground.com

My wife and I would give it 4 out of 5. Downfall is that there is not much in the way of activities at the campground ( no Segways), but it is a nice, quiet, clean campground.

More pics to come.

Attachments

• HH 1.jpg
    HH 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29
  • HH 9.jpg
    HH 9.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 23
  • HH 8.jpg
    HH 8.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 24
  • HH 7.jpg
    HH 7.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 27
  • HH 6.jpg
    HH 6.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 29
  • HH 5.jpg
    HH 5.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 30
  • HH 4.jpg
    HH 4.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28
  • HH 3.jpg
    HH 3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
  • HH 2.jpg
    HH 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 30

JWalker

More pics:

Attachments

• HH 10.jpg
    HH 10.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26
  • HH 11.jpg
    HH 11.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 25
  • HH 12.jpg
    HH 12.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 26
  • HH 13.jpg
    HH 13.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 25
  • HH 14.jpg
    HH 14.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 23

dieselsweetheart

Thanks for posting those pictures! It does look like a nice, quiet place. Nice scenery too... I know there is a lot to do and see in the Somerset area... we'll think about that one! Thanks again!

Clark

Cheryl,
You had asked us to stop by the Pocono Vacation Park near Stroudsburg, PA and check out the facilities with 2010 in mind. First, we ran into Duane and Debbie when we pulled in and had some nice talks. Wonderful folks. Duane mentioned that he took some pictures of the PVP and would forward them to you.
The park advertises 300 sites, which is true, but only about 30-40 of them are not permanent/seasonal sites. They could possibly accomodate 20 rigs on level sites, but I have reservations even about that. I would honestly look elsewhere for a rally, but if you are in the area of Stroudsburg, and ready for a short stay and sightseeing, please stop in. Prices are very good and the Delaware Water Gap park is worth seeing.
Hope that this helps.
Clark

cableman

sounds like a nice time

We are looking forward to meeting some people from the club. Like the place around somerset, lots to do and see in that area.

dieselsweetheart

Well Dan we will all be anxious to meet you! We had a great time together at Pine Grove in August! Always happy to have new folks join us...!

dieselsweetheart

Announcement! Stay tuned for an announcement this week about a site in Lancaster, Pa...Heartland of the Amish... Jim and I just made our rounds today...one CG too small, the other just right...beautiful, large, wooded sites.... the actual address is New Holland with easy access off the PA turnpike. We are considering moving up the rally by two w/e's because it's cheaper earlier....full hook-ups with 50 amp and cable.
2 pools, mini-golf, volleyball, etc. Weekends are themed with activities. Much to do in the area.

More info as soon as the "group" lady calls me back. She wasn't there today.

Status
Not open for further replies.