SOLVED: Brakes are locked on our Big Horn

Oilman

Made a sharp turn while turning around in a parking lot, and the brakes on the 5th wheel locked. Any suggestions? We are stranded at this point!

jnbhobe

Re: brakes are locked on our Big Horn

Made a sharp turn while turning around in a parking lot, and the brakes on the 5th wheel locked. Any suggestions? We are stranded at this point!

Plug the breakaway switch back in !! You pulled the cable out.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

You have probably pulled your breakaway cord at the pinbox. Look and see if is dangling from the hitch. Trace

gebills

First check, given the circumstances, are to check your emergency break-away cord located in the hitch assembly. If this is pulled out/detached, it will lock up your brakes. I would expect that, if everything else was okay, that should be where your problem is. If it isn't, then it could involve a short. Check your breakaway switch first.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Check the pin on the break-away box (on the pin box). It might have been pulled out when you made the turn. I believe you can push the spring loaded activator back and reinsert the pin.

gebills

That's kinda funny; at least we're all thinking the same direction........... Good luck Oilman. Let us know how it comes out. gebills.

FiremanBill

Also, I had one on my old rig that shorted out somehow and melted the plastic pin causing the contacts to close and lock down the brakes. Couldn't tell by looking at it but when I pulled on it all that came out was the end of the pin!

Oilman

brakes are locked on our Big Horn

Your responses are amazing. Headed out to the truck now, stay tuned! Feeling not so "desperate " on a Sunday afternoon in Elizabethtown Ky on our way back to Mi from 2 months in Fl.

rick_debbie_gallant

Your responses are amazing. Headed out to the truck now, stay tuned! Feeling not so "desperate " on a Sunday afternoon in Elizabethtown Ky on our way back to Mi from 2 months in Fl.

Plug the breakaway switch back in or unplug the umbilical card and the fivers battery until uget it moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Oilman

brakes are locked on our Big Horn

A million Thank you's to all. Problem solved, how great it is to have this kind of support . Truly appreciated.