Viair 450p

pegmikef

The indirect way of answering this is to find the fuse used by Ford to protect the circuit. They wouldn't use a fuse that allows more current than the rating of the wire.

I was curious because I also have a Viair 450P so I looked it up for my 2013 F350 in the manual and it states that the "Trailer tow battery charge" fuse is a 25 Amp cartridge fuse. The max amp draw of the compressor is stated by Viair to be 23 amps so it is awfully close. Interestingly, the compressor is protected by a 40 amp inline fuse.

Just in case, I would make sure I had a couple of spare 25 amp fuses.

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, I have been using the rear connector on my Ford without any issues with overloading the truck system and no obvious increase in compressor or connector wire heat. I use this point because it is easier to get to than under the hood or hooking to trailer battery..

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Jim, I have been using the rear connector on my Ford without any issues with overloading the truck system and no obvious increase in compressor or connector wire heat. I use this point because it is easier to get to than under the hood or hooking to trailer battery..

I guess we can talk more about this next week when we are in Florida.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The spec on the 450p is max current consumption of 20 Amps. #6 is way more wire than you need. And btw, if you're making a connector, you only need about a 6" length of each wire.

I'm a rigger so if you want to run from the battery to the rear of the truck buy a roll of 12/2 UF (UF is used for underground applications therefore watertight) romex which will easily carry 30 amps from a 12v source. I assume the air compressor is fused or has a breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

so what gage wire is being used for wiring the plug?

I think I might have used #8 solid. Went to an electrical supply store and bought a foot or two of red and black. The bolts were from Walmart, on the battery accessory wall hanger.

Maybe I can go on Shark Tank and turn this into a company. :eek:

murry135

I'm a rigger so if you want to run from the battery to the rear of the truck buy a roll of 12/2 UF (UF is used for underground applications therefore watertight) romex which will easily carry 30 amps from a 12v source. I assume the air compressor is fused or has a breaker?

Lyle,

Thanks for this info regarding wire options now all I have to do is figure out the best connector to use to make the connection between the battery wire run to CONNECTOR to spring loaded clips on Viair. Was looking at Anderson SB style but I think it recommends stranded wire.

Jim

P.S. Do we have a rally install here for Jamie and myself?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Lyle,

Thanks for this info regarding wire options now all I have to do is figure out the best connector to use to make the connection between the battery wire run to CONNECTOR to spring loaded clips on Viair. Was looking at Anderson SB style but I think it recommends stranded wire.

Jim

P.S. Do we have a rally install here for Jamie and myself?

I only threw those comments out there because I don't think you need 6 ga wire. From what I could find online the "charging" wire on our truck's trailer harness is 12 ga. So that's all you'd have if you make up Dan's adapter.

You'll have figured out until then

Lyle

Lou_and_Bette

I guess we can talk more about this next week when we are in Florida.

Can't wait to see you and Colleen

- - - Updated - - -

murry135;462617 P.S. Do we have a rally install here for Jamie and myself?[/QUOTE said:
I wondered about rallies/camp outs with the sole purpose of getting and/or helping get done "projects"

Jim, do you want me to bring my connector so you can see what I use?

porthole

Retired
Jim - Jamie, for me - i'm of the go big or go home game. When I did my run it was for more the just running a small compressor.

I like the Anderson style connectors, the one you see on my truck is the 175 amp version. Don't necessarily need the rating all the time, but more for size. The 175 is much easier to connect-disconnect. And, the 175 is fairly universal
"down the shore" for all things automotive and boating.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-connectors/=10ln6ya

I have 2/0 high strand count wire running from the starter solenoid (both batteries) and the engine block near the starter to the rear bumper.

For you two, the cheapest easiest thing to try is just using the trailer plug thing. If it works for you, you are done.

http://www.amazon.com/TIROL-Trailer...14038&sr=8-6&keywords=trailer+7+way+connector

murry135

Can't wait to see you and Colleen

- - - Updated - - -

I wondered about rallies/camp outs with the sole purpose of getting and/or helping get done "projects"

Jim, do you want me to bring my connector so you can see what I use?

No need to bring connector now that all my Rabbi's have weighed in I am going to try your set up much cheaper and easier to do for something I may use very little.

- - - Updated - - -

Jim - Jamie, for me - i'm of the go big or go home game/QUOTE]

REALLY, would of never noticed that about you "ole buddy ole pal" of mine. I think I am going to try the trailer connector approach for my application. Thanks for weighing in.

Jamie, as u see above I am going to try Dan's non-patented device as my first option. In April we can see if it works.

Thanks to all that posted it was helpful in figuring this modification out.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just a quick update on the 450P. Had to run the spare from 60psi to 80psi and decided to use the portable instead of the garage compressor. I must say, I'm really impressed. It made quick work of the job. Quieter than I thought it was going to be. Fills the truck airbags real quick. Two or three squeezes of the handle and I was up the pressure. Though, if you had to fill a tire for a long period, holding the handle when would become a little bit of a bother. But all in all, I love that little compressor.

dbbls59

I have found that the hose is long enough that I can reach the battery and the rear tires on the trailer.

mlpeloquin

Mother's Day so the short answer is per MIL spec 975 derating for 70c rated wire in a bundle, two or more 12 gauge stranded wire is rated for 25 amps. 10 gauge 33 amps.

Last edited:

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Buy the connector from a trailer shop. You'll need some heavy solid wire and a couple of large bolts to use as terminals. Pick up the 12V and ground from the connector and wrap around the bolts.

I hope when you say "solid" I hope you mean a "good" wire. Any wire used on vehicles where vibrations are present, stranded wire should always be used

wdk450

I hope you remembered to use a high current fuse or fusable link at the battery feed for safety.

davebennington

A forum member provided this information to me today. Truckspring,com has this item for sale, you have to use discount code WCWB103 to get this pricing.

pjones1969

Anybody ever complete this mod? I’m looking at the 400-P-RV and was thinking about replacing the alligator clips with ring connectors or some other sort of adapter and wiring it straight to the battery in the front storage compartment