Viair 450p

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the advantage of having ring connectors to your battery. The alligator clips go directly to the battery.
You might consider the Viair 450P as it has a 100% duty cycle as compared to the 400P at 33%. As little as $200 on eBay.

Peace
Dave

pjones1969

What would be the advantage of having ring connectors to your battery. The alligator clips go directly to the battery.
You might consider the Viair 450P as it has a 100% duty cycle as compared to the 400P at 33%. As little as $200 on eBay.

Peace
Dave

I was going to permanently mount it in the front compartment and didn’t want to remove the battery box lid and hook it up every time I wanted to use it. I’ve looked at both 400 and 450P-RV and either one would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is mounted permanently in the front compartment.
I have it wired to the battery but use an on/off switch along with a relay.
Been working good for a number of years now.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

Mine is mounted permanently in the front compartment.
I have it wired to the battery but use an on/off switch along with a relay.
Been working good for a number of years now.

Having it permanently mounted would be nice. However, what about the times you're in your truck, without the trailer?

I have ours stored in the truck, under the rear seat. Yep...isn't an easy as having direct access from the RV, but I wanted to have it with me at all times...or have ability to walk it over to a neighboring RV'er if they need help with their tires.

pjones1969

Having it permanently mounted would be nice. However, what about the times you're in your truck, without the trailer?

I have ours stored in the truck, under the rear seat. Yep...isn't an easy as having direct access from the RV, but I wanted to have it with me at all times...or have ability to walk it over to a neighboring RV'er if they need help with their tires.

Good points, I want to eventually do a separate onboard air setup on the truck for a train horn and tire filling, was thinking for air bags too but may go with the WirelessONE for those, neither of my portable compressors I have now will fill the RV tires to 110 so looking at something for just the RV. It may be better to do just the one system on the truck and size it so I could use it for the RV also

porthole

Retired
Good points, I want to eventually do a separate onboard air setup on the truck for a train horn and tire filling, was thinking for air bags too but may go with the WirelessONE for those, neither of my portable compressors I have now will fill the RV tires to 110 so looking at something for just the RV. It may be better to do just the one system on the truck and size it so I could use it for the RV also

The Viair 480 is only $20 or so more then the 450.

V-450 150 psi 100% duty cycle
V-480 200 psi 100% duty cycle

A typical air compressor cutoff switch has approximately a 35-40 psi differential.

So at or near the cut in pressure you get almost zero flow trying to fill 110 or higher psi tires

If you go with the 200 series, the compressor kicks in approximately 160 psi, allowing a quicker tire fill time.

I don't need 200 psi all the time , so I use a 150 switch most of the time and when I need the boost I have a 2nd pressure switch of 200 psi.
My two pressure switches are controlled by a double pole double throw rocker switch.

I have the Viair 480 twin pack. One compressor is on all the time. When we travel with the RV and I have a need for more supply, I use a marine rated 50 amp breaker to cut in the 2nd compressor.
I also have two storage tanks, isolated for the same reason.

Using mine for the trailer hitch air bags, truck's air ride rear suspension and air horns.

pjones1969

Based on all of the positive reviews on the P-RV series I purchased the 450P-RV from Amazon just now, I’ve decided to keep it “portable” and not hard wire it.

porthole I’ll look into those 480s for my OBA setup I’m planning.

pjones1969

Received the 450-P-RV today, very impressed, went out to storage and had no problems filling the tires to 110, went ahead and did the truck while I was at it. I will admit I stressed a little over this one or the 400-P-RV but after using the 450 with success I’m happy with it

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didn’t like the little plastic hose that came with my Viair so I bought a 50ft. Goodyear rubber airline for it. Stays flexible in the cold. Compressor, hose, and a few other “essentials” all ride under my back seat in a Du-Ha storage bin.

pjones1969

I didn’t like the little plastic hose that came with my Viair so I bought a 50ft. Goodyear rubber airline for it. Stays flexible in the cold. Compressor, hose, and a few other “essentials” all ride under my back seat in a Du-Ha storage bin.

The kit came with 2 “inside braided” black hoses. http://www.viaircorp.com/air-hoses/blackextensionhose/

I have a 50’ rubber hose as well in the beaver tail storage compartment

JohnDar

The kit came with 2 “inside braided” black hoses. http://www.viaircorp.com/air-hoses/blackextensionhose/

I have a 50’ rubber hose as well in the beaver tail storage compartment

Mine came with a 25 ft. 1/4” yellow plastic coiled hose. Had to turn the truck to face the king pin and get close to it. Set the hose down and it would try to coil away. With the 50’, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Mine came with a 25 ft. 1/4” yellow plastic coiled hose. Had to turn the truck to face the king pin and get close to it. Set the hose down and it would try to coil away. With the 50’, no problems.

John, mine came the same way so I made a short 7 pin pigtail that I can plug into the connector on the bumper. Chose this solution to give me extra reach without moving the truck and also so I didn’t have to open the truck hood or the front panel of the rig to access battery power.

JohnDar

John, mine came the same way so I made a short 7 pin pigtail that I can plug into the connector on the bumper. Chose this solution to give me extra reach without moving the truck and also so I didn’t have to open the truck hood or the front panel of the rig to access battery power.

Not a bad idea. That would provide a place (tail gate) to set the compressor on rather than in the dirt or carry a crate for it to sit on.

danemayer

I also used a 7 pin connector to make a pigtail that plugs in above the bumper.

danemayer

Nice, did you remove the original battery clamps to do this or is this more like an adapter? Any pics?

I bought a 7-pin connector that plugs into the truck's receptacle. Took a red and black #8 or #10 (don't remember) solid wire and put those into the hot/ground connections in the connector. Picked up a couple of battery terminal bolts from Walmart, in the battery accessory section. Wound the wires around the bolts and spread them apart so there's no danger of shorting them together. Then I just plug it in and attach the Viair alligator clips to the bolts.

I know I have a picture, but can't find it right now.

pjones1969

I bought a 7-pin connector that plugs into the truck's receptacle. Took a red and black #8 or #10 (don't remember) solid wire and put those into the hot/ground connections in the connector. Picked up a couple of battery terminal bolts from Walmart, in the battery accessory section. Wound the wires around the bolts and spread them apart so there's no danger of shorting them together. Then I just plug it in and attach the Viair alligator clips to the bolts.

Thanks, good idea

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Is the factory wiring to the receptacle heavy enough to handle the constant drawl of a compressor?

pjones1969

It was in post 2
531df5cfd9d9587c553b4178da2290a1.jpg