West Coast to Goshen/Elkhart June 2013

wdk450

Gang:
Well, originally I had no plans whatsoever to attend the National Rally in Goshen. I decided it was too much driving and fuel/campground money to do on my limited budget. Well my pinbox/frame flex issue got so bad that I convinced Heartland Service that I indeed have this problem. Heartland has graciously agreed to fix it for me, but only at the factory. They originally wanted to schedule me in July, but I made a pitch to attend the Goshen National rally in conjunction with the repair, and they rescheduled me for the repair the week before the rally, starting June 10th. So now I am planning a trip to Elkhart/Goshen starting June 2nd from a NorLows rally I will be at in Redding, California.
Right now I plan to travel East over the northern Sierra Nevada Mountains from Redding to Susanville, meeting I-80 in Reno. I made this trip (in a couple of sections) coming back from the Gillette, Wy. rally last June to catch a NorLows campout in Hat Creek (near Mt. Lassen). My 1st days travel planning has me getting to Winnemucca, about 400 miles travel from Redding. The rest of the trip is still in the planning stages, but I would like to make around 400 miles a day, and do what I can to keep campground costs down. I want to have extra days available enroute in case of unforeseen mechanical problems like I had going Eastbound last year in Idaho.
The worst grade on the trip that I have heard of is just East of Salt Lake City on I-80. Are there any worse grades on I-80 I should be aware of? After going over the Bighorn mountains in Wyoming last summer, I guess I am ready for any grade now. I was thinking of staying in the high country at the top of that Salt Lake City grade for the evening of the 2nd night.

Advice on camping options in Wy., Neb., Iowa, near I-80 and in the Elkhart/Goshen area would be gratefully received. I am also looking at inexpensive hotels in the Elkhart/Goshen area to stay in while the repairs are being done at the factory.

I know everyone's travelling style and rate is individual, but I also saw a posting from 1 West Coast member who was not planning on making the trip to the National rally for the fear of travelling alone. I am presenting my travel plans now if I can be of any benefit to anyone else, or have the privilege of meeting up with any other HOG members on the trip. We can even share cell phone numbers through private messages, if that is desired.

Thanks in advance for everybody's helpful input!!!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Bill, we have stayed at the Red Roof Inn and the Jameson Inn-I think that is the name. It offered a free continental breakfast but the Red Roof was a little cheaper and very popular with the RV delivery guys.

rjr6150

Bill
What are you plans for stops in NE. May be able to suggest a few possibly even our side street. We're only 6 miles off I80

jbeletti

That would be awesome if you could stay with Heartlanders along the way. Maybe time to check the H.O.T.E.L. document to see if anyone along the way has marked Overnight stay as an option.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you get into Elkhart, stay at the Elkhart Campgound if you are not going directly to Heartland and drop off your trailer. It is a nice campground, the owners are nice and everyone stays there. I wouldn't stay any where else.

When you arrive and know the date are going to drop off your trailer go to the Jameson Inn. They give you a discount if you are having work done on your trailer by Heartland. Just let them know. They also allow you to keep your pets there also. The rooms are nice and we have had no problems. 3010 Brittany CourtElkhart, IN 46514, (574)264-7222 .

Just south of the Toll Road @ Cassopolis St.
Jameson Inn.jpg

Elkhart campgound is just north on Cassopolis St. and east on County Road 4.
Just north of the Toll Road are a number of great places to eat. Cracker Barrel and the Golden Egg Pancake House. Great breakfast.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you're on I-80 through Nebraska, stop at Sidney NE and stay at the cabela's RV Park. 115 Cabela's Dr, Sidney NE, 308-254-7889. We have a Heartland Owner that works at the main office just outside the campground. This is the Cabela's main office and they have a store that you can spend all your extra money in. Be sure to get a ballcap.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
About the highway from Redding to Susanville, my West Mountain Directory says:

" California Highway 44 between Hwy 89 and Redding Ca, as per information submitted by a reader, there is a lot of westbound desents all the way from highway 89 to Redding. Most of it is about 5-6% grades and some sections may be 6 or 7 miles long. There may be short sections of steeper grades as well. Good Two lane road." You will be driving East bound so the grades you will probably will be climbing is 5-6%. You should have no problems.

Along I-80 into Nevada you will hit one grade of about 7% going east. Most of the others are 5-6%. Should be no problems in Nevada.

East of Laramie Wyo you will hit a couple of 4 & 5% grades which should be no problem. From this point on there are no grades to give you any concern.

You might check out the Mountain Directory books for the West and East. They give you information about the grades you will be driving.
http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Hope this is helpful
BC