What I'm I not getting

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Hear is what I'm trying to do, I bought a led marker- running light that mounts under the tailgate an above the rear bumper of my Super Duty. Tryed the light on a 12 volt battery on the bench works fine, get it all hock up nothing, OK may be I don't have a good ground,nope tryed grounding in a few places nothing. I bring the battery off the bench slide it under the truck pull down the ground wire from the light, ground it to the battery then it works. what Im I not getting

wehavefun

I think your ground is the issue, maybe not connecting because of paint? Just guessing. It's either the power or ground for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

upsmech

I also think it is a ground wire issue! If you have fire with a test light you definitely have grounding issue.

danemayer

I'm a little confused by your description of what you've tried.

The ground has to complete the circuit back to the negative terminal of whatever power source is being applied to the light. If you ground the light to the truck bed or frame, that's a return path to the truck battery. But if the power source is a battery on the bench, grounding to the truck won't complete the circuit.

Try hooking the light to something that gets power from the truck battery, and then test the truck ground.

porthole

Retired
LEDs only work one way. I am betting you have the positive and ground mixed up.

Not true anymore. I have an LED "over 80 inch" center marker light I just put on my boat trailer that works either way. And since it is sealed, I can't look to see if it is perhaps a double LED configuration.

wdk450

I would hope you have a good ground wire from another part of the truck other than the tailgate. The tailgate hinge isn't what I would call a reliable metal ground circuit connector.

John T Bettencourt

I have had this same problem putting a Led bulb in a 1157 taillight socket. Would not work in socket but worked fine when run of the 12v battery when hooked to a lead of each post of the battery. Seller told me that some vehicles need a resister in the line to make it work. Still I don't understand why.

porthole

Retired
I have had this same problem putting a Led bulb in a 1157 taillight socket. Would not work in socket but worked fine when run of the 12v battery when hooked to a lead of each post of the battery. Seller told me that some vehicles need a resister in the line to make it work. Still I don't understand why.

Newer vehicles have the ability to show that a bulb is out on your dash display, they do this by the resistance in the light circuit. The resistance from traditional incandescent bulbs is much higher then LEDs. The body computers need the resistance in the circuit to work correctly.
If your LED is not working, is the dash displaying a bulb out at that location?

The work around for the the issue when upgrading to LEDs is some type of load equalizer that you install. Google your vehicle and LEDs load equalizer and see what you come up with.

Not true anymore. I have an LED "over 80 inch" center marker light I just put on my boat trailer that works either way. And since it is sealed, I can't look to see if it is perhaps a double LED configuration.

You are correct however here is the long explanation. I apologize if it is long winded. I wanted to do a simple explanation for those that are frustrated by all the different answers you get in led threads. If anyone sees any errors feel free to correct them. I am in a long line up and keying this in through the quick reply on my phone while i am waiting so i can only see a couple lines at a time.
A single led is always one way only because it is a diode and that is how they work. It is possible to build an array(this is what we usually replace our incandescent bulbs with) of leds that is non directional but this requires additional electronic components that the cheaper manufacturers eliminate.
That is why reversing them is always the first thing to try. If he had power with the bulb he was replacing he's should still have power with the led. Another possibility is as others have mentioned a bad ground.
Other likely culprits are a bad fit between the replacement led and the socket or low voltage. LEDs are much more limited in the range of voltages they will work at. While an incandescent will just be dim at a low voltage a led will not turn at all if it is below a certain threshold. Again there are things they can build into the electronics to extend the upper and lower voltage range but that increases the price so you don't see them in the cheaper ones. The cheaper ones tend to use a resister to try to protect the led from excess voltage and that extra voltage gets turned into heat. That is one of the reasons some people have ones that get very hot and others don't
This is why we see do many different answers to questions about LEDs. Everyone is right because it depends on the other electronics in LED arrays they bought.

porthole

Retired
Just so happens on my boating forum there is an in depth LED thread started a few days ago. LED's are becoming a replacement for boats now that the USCG allows them for navigation purposes (funny about that as well).
Got some smart people here chiming in.

Boston Whaler Continuous Wave forum

Cabindoc

To the OP,

I have one of these and first, they come with a 4 way that plugs into your trailer connector, why not use that. Second, I have added many lights to my truck and a self taping to any part of the body usually works. my $.02