What is this bar at the bottom of the screen??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I go onto the Heartland Forum I get this tool bar at the bottom of my screen that blocks out the last line in an edit or what I am reading. I don't remember it being there in the near past and don't remember anyone posting that this was going to be added to the forum.

Any one else find this or Know about it?

What is this.jpg

BC

DeanWag

Re: What is this??

Think somehow your web browser got an menu bar addon, check you browser for extras that were installed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Bobcat, I don't have anything like that showing up. Hey, I thought you were the computer guy... ;-)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Bobcat, I don't have anything like that showing up. Hey, I thought you were the computer guy... ;-)
OK, Wait a minute now. I just noticed it on my screen too. Looks like a shortcut tool bar to use when you are reading posts that are down a ways and your forum header bar is at the top.

jimtoo

Hey,,, it's on mine to... I went to several other sites and it does not show .... Maybe LK is trying something new... who knows? And now it is gone... was there just a moment ago... NOPE.. it's back...

RollingHome

It appeared on my screen a couple of days ago. The only common denominator we all have is we all use the forum... if anyone figures out the steps to remove it please share. I mean like a, b, c...

jcarnevale

Looks like the "IT" people at Heartland are using cometchat. I believe it's a software program they install on their servers to add functionality to the forum. It's not a plugin like java so you can't uninstall it. It's running on their servers. You may be able to block it with some third party software, but that's beyond my single cell peanut of a brain!

Jay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Looks like jcarnevale may be right. It's a private chat kinda thing. If you click on the righthand portion "who's online", you can see if any of your "friends" are online, and hit them up for a a little chat or just say hello.
Had fun with it last night. Could be a PIA though. I will continue to play with it.

Peace
Dave

linuxkidd

Hello All,
I see you've noticed our Comet Chat plugin. A couple of things in this thread I want to address ( and some things I want to point ).

# What is it:
- It is a way for people you are 'Friends' with in the forum to instantly communicate with you, 1 on 1. There is also the capability to create and participate in group chat rooms beyond the normal 1 room chat that we use as the 'Heartland Owners Chat (HOC)'.
- There are some shortcuts on the left side of the bar which we have not taken the time to configure yet. In time, these will be more specific to the Heartland Owners.

# Can I get rid of it?
- Not at this time. But I must ask why? You can click on the 'Who's Online' button and click the 'Go Offline' link at the top if you really wish to not be disturbed by others. You could also set yourself as 'invisible' so you can see if your friends are online, but they can't see if you are. This option is under the Gear icon to the right of 'Who's Online'. There should not be any blocking of text on screen as you can always scroll down farther to bring the items behind the bar into view.

# I only see a few people in the 'Who's Online' list, how do I add more?
- Click on the Gear looking icon to the right of 'Who's Online' and click 'Add more friends'.

Note that we recognize this new capability is not for everyone and believe the options available for 'Offline' or 'Invisible' will provide a way for those to opt out. We hope the extra bit of space it uses at the bottom of the screen will not be too distractive for the persons who don't use it.

Please let us know what you guys think...
LK

Since it has appeared, the Auto Pager add-on for Firefox no longer works. Maybe there's a way around that, but haven't found it yet. Really have no use for this added bar, JMO

I like the bar because of the who's online part. I should make it much easier to talk to just a group of people you need to talk to about things like organizing a rally without having to do it by PM, email or in the open chat room. I know you can set up private chats other ways, but this is within the forum which should make it easier.

The use of a line of space isn't a problem for me, but I'm not working on a netbook with a small screen.

I don't really need a facebook, twitter, etc. short cut, but others might like that.

Kristy

Mike, I have 2 issues with it.

1. It has slowed down the loading of forum posts while looking for a virus or at least on my PC.
2. I tried it last night and you can only chat with one person at a time...at this time I like the PSI chat better.

Focus your eyes in the center of your screens and you won't even notice it. Could be worse. Another forum I frequent has so much advertisement flashing on it that you almost want to punch the computer. Really slows things down while that crap loads.

Hello All,
I see you've noticed our Comet Chat plugin. A couple of things in this thread I want to address ( and some things I want to point ).

# What is it:
- It is a way for people you are 'Friends' with in the forum to instantly communicate with you, 1 on 1. There is also the capability to create and participate in group chat rooms beyond the normal 1 room chat that we use as the 'Heartland Owners Chat (HOC)'.
- There are some shortcuts on the left side of the bar which we have not taken the time to configure yet. In time, these will be more specific to the Heartland Owners.

# Can I get rid of it?
- Not at this time. But I must ask why? You can click on the 'Who's Online' button and click the 'Go Offline' link at the top if you really wish to not be disturbed by others. You could also set yourself as 'invisible' so you can see if your friends are online, but they can't see if you are. This option is under the Gear icon to the right of 'Who's Online'. There should not be any blocking of text on screen as you can always scroll down farther to bring the items behind the bar into view.

# I only see a few people in the 'Who's Online' list, how do I add more?
- Click on the Gear looking icon to the right of 'Who's Online' and click 'Add more friends'.

Note that we recognize this new capability is not for everyone and believe the options available for 'Offline' or 'Invisible' will provide a way for those to opt out. We hope the extra bit of space it uses at the bottom of the screen will not be too distractive for the persons who don't use it.

Please let us know what you guys think...
LK

The bar may not be an issue on a desktop or notebook computer, LK, but on an iPad the bar freezes in one location on the screen and does not stay at the bottom thereby wiping out a line of text for some screens or, in my case, my ability to edit some parts of my profile in that screen. I think the bar needs some work. There are 3M+ iPads out there and they make a great tool for RV'ers. Can we see what can be done about the iPad interface?

Thanks.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired

OK, I just tried all the buttons - doesn't do anything for me except lose another 3/8" of screen real estate on an already small laptop. Plus - I tried the "dark" theme and can't reverse it.

I vote for the option of being able to disable - please.