What options do I need?

soilmovers

We have been back and forth with what model to replace our 08 3055. I thought the BH 3800 (2011) with 2 bedrooms and the extra half bath was perfect. But the kitchen was too small for our needs.
So, we are going to order a 3670. After looking at the options, I wonder what are the best choices from a practical perspective.

Here are my questions:
Are dual pane windows worth the money? We are in Texas only.
What about the slide awnings? Will high winds and heat destroy them in time?
Power cord reel? We move twice a year.
Fireplace? do I really need that in Texas? Maybe a few cooler months
22" TV for bedroom- can I buy one cheaper and install it myself?

We are going with the gel coat, central vac, 4 door refrig, convection micro, 2d AC and color Lasso.

thanks for your help!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We elected to go with the Big Country 3650 instead of a Big Horn but as for additional options we went with:
dual pane windows
2nd A/C with heat strip (a must)
power cord reel
fire place (use instead of the proprane heater)
a 2nd power awning on the door side slide instead of a window awnings
slide toppers
Correct Track II
Reico-Titan Wireless Ground Control Leveling system

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have been back and forth with what model to replace our 08 3055. I thought the BH 3800 (2011) with 2 bedrooms and the extra half bath was perfect. But the kitchen was too small for our needs.
So, we are going to order a 3670. After looking at the options, I wonder what are the best choices from a practical perspective.

Here are my questions:
Are dual pane windows worth the money? We are in Texas only.
What about the slide awnings? Will high winds and heat destroy them in time?
Power cord reel? We move twice a year.
Fireplace? do I really need that in Texas? Maybe a few cooler months
22" TV for bedroom- can I buy one cheaper and install it myself?

We are going with the gel coat, central vac, 4 door refrig, convection micro, 2d AC and color Lasso.

thanks for your help!

For the bedroom TV, measure carefully. I've got a 19" Jensen in mine and getting anything bigger might be tight, especially if it has a base stand. I created a mounting surface for mine and have the TV on a Jensen MAF-40 articulating mount so I can tilt it for better viewing.

We don't have a fireplace in ours and found by replacing the floor vents with adjustable ones, we can direct the furnace heat where we want it. We do get some chilly nights in northern Michigan. Dressing appropriately also helps, as does a flannel-like set of bedsheets and quilted comforter for the cooler times at the beginning and end of our season.

We have slide awnings and would not be without them. They protect the top of the slides and help cut down the sun load. We don't get gale force winds, but so far they've been just fine. I've yet to have them keep me awake at night due to flapping in the wind (mine are very taut, unlike others I've seen). Putting a window awning over the dining room slide windows helps cut down the heat/sun load. I'll be adding another over the computer desk window this fall. It also allows leaving the window open in all but the most wind-driven rainstorms. We also leave the slides extended the entire season, May to September.

I also don't have a power cord reel. I can still hold the cord in one hand while I coil it up. We're on a seasonal site, so we don't move frequently, either.

Past comments on dual panes is mixed. Some say they help insulate, others say they just cut down the noise. Mine are single pane.

soilmovers

We elected to go with the Big Country 3650 instead of a Big Horn but as for additional options we went with:
dual pane windows
2nd A/C with heat strip (a must)
power cord reel
fire place (use instead of the proprane heater)
a 2nd power awning on the door side slide instead of a window awnings
slide toppers
Correct Track II
Reico-Titan Wireless Ground Control Leveling system

I was curious about the fireplace. Do you find it warms the room enough without using the furnace?

dual pane windows- are you happy with this investment?

thank you for the info.

GOTTOYS

Fireplace is the thing I would get. We love ours you can vary the amount of heat coming out of it from none to about 5,200 BTUs. I would also get the dual pane windows on our next one. Help with heating and cooling. There is a lot of heat coming through some of those large windows...Don

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have both options and as of now, living in the deep south. The windows are great in the summer for keeping the heat out. And there was about 2 weeks at the beginning of the season where we would turn on the fireplace in the morning. It works great. We really have not even used our heater at all. We did go with the heat pumps and they put them in both of our A/C units.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Can't say on windows, I was advised not to get awnings as we are subject to high winds here. I have heard mixed reviews from folks that have them. I thought the fire place was silly but now that we have had a chance to use it LOVE IT!! would not be without it. We don't have the cord reel but would get one if we were ordering a new rig and we have the TV in the bedroom and are glad it's there. I don't know about the cost though. Oh, by the way congratulations. I hope you enjoy the floor plan as much as we do

Birchwood

If I couldn't afford many options the one option I would afford would be the 12 to 14 cubic foot fridge.
Next would be the second A/C in the bedroom and we live in Canada for six months.Some of the other
options are nice but depends on the owners usage and may be useless in some instances.

Westwind

We have a new 2012 Bighorn 3070, we have been told the fireplace is a good thing because you can warm up the trailer and not use your propane. Dual Pane windows are mixed, cut down on temp transfers and noise but as the trailer ages seals can break and windows fog. I think the bouncing around can cause it also. We had the 2nd AC installed because we were in Florida in April and when temps get to 90 the main unit works real hard to cool and we like it cool to sleep.
We have the Lasso Ultra Leather (Not real Leather), we wanted the lighter color but now I'm glad we ended up with Lasso, to me it's practical, but again it's personnal preference.
The bedroom TV, buy your own after you get the RV, I think the option is about $600. You could get a TV and bracket for less than that.
Glad we didn't get the cord reel, another thing to maintain or break, I don't find my cord that heavy, but again preference.

Good Luck

jimtoo

Hi Nick and Cindy,

Being in Texas also, I would recommend the dual pane windows, these are not sealed with the gas inside, so they do not fog up. They do help in the cooling for summer, noise reduction and heating for winter. You definitely want the second a/c. Fireplace is a no for us.. just use a small upright 1500 watt heater, one of the little tall ones that rotate a little.. same amount of heat,, can go in the closet in the summer or storage bldg. That way you do not loose cabinet storage where fireplace would go. Slide awnings??? We do not have them.. hear good and bad... probably more good, keeps heat off the top of the slide. Power cord reel,,is a no... Bought and installed my own TV in bedroom.

Just my 2 cents,,, now worth a nickel.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
soilmovers - sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but we are the races at Bristol and I'm just now getting back on the computer. As for the dual pane windows - this is the first time we have had them and there really is a difference, especially in the hot weather. Our coach is too new so how they will help with the cooler/colder weather will have to wait till this fall.
We have had 2 coaches with a fireplaces and would continue to get any future coach with one. It's not a furnace but really helps getting the chill out of the room in the mornings. Between the heat strip in the bedroom a/c and the fireplace, the coach stays very comfortable.

back2nature

I vote for the fireplace. We have one and love it. We live in So. Calif. but we were in Tucson this February when it got down to 15 degrees. We left the fireplace on 24/7 for two weeks. Even when we left for the day. It saves on propane. It was enough to keep the chill off at night, even all the way to the bedroom (with a down comforter). It acts like a 1500 watt space heater, but you don't have to lug it around the place. We would just set the furnace low, like 63 degrees, so it would kick in during the night if it got really cold. And we love the ambiance it gives. Fireplace, nice to have.

soilmovers

We certainly appreciate all the replies. Guess we'll go with the fireplace, dual panes (This summer, North Texas has had 60 days of 100+ !)
4 door frig, 2d AC, convection oven, central vac and gel coat.

Buying and installing the bedroom TV is a good idea.

Heartland says 5-6 weeks for delivery. If we wait until the end of Sept, they get very busy with orders from the show.

Thanks again folks!