Why the need for faucet water flow restrictors

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Something I have never understood. Why do you need a flow restrictor on a faucet? I have removed a number of them on my rvs over the years without any harm. Seems to me like a needless expense.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: Why the need

Jim, its so we cant use toooo much water. Now, I need a "tree hugger" to explain to me where the water vapor (evaporation) goes. It cannot get out of our atmosphere. It evaporates, goes up into the atmosphere and then comes back as rain somewhere. Maybe not where we need it...but it does. The only other explaination is people on Mars are stealing it.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

Flow restrictors are for those who are not skilled enough or perhaps too lazy to adjust the flow using the handles. :)

Willym

Reducing water demand reduces pumping, filtration and treatment costs, as well as waste handling costs. We're on metered water and can see the true cost of good water. Treatment uses chemicals which eventually find their way into the environment. Another benefit might be that the overflow path on a sink can only handle so much flow. If the tap is left on and the sink is plugged or plugs up, it might not overflow if the inlet flow is restricted. Kids like playing with water and have been known to leave taps on....

wdk450

They are mandated by law in houses in many states including this one (California). I don't know if there are laws/regulations on RV's about this, but there is much crossover in the RV/mobile home industries, and mobile homes are de-facto permanent modular housing.

Westwind

Also keeps you from emptying out the hot water heater too quickly. I know someone who would do it easily.

SmokeyBare

Low-Volume Plumbing Fixtures. By now, most facility executives are aware that under the U.S. Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPAct) only low-volume toilets, urinals, faucets and shower-heads can be installed in most facilities.

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/green/article/Water-Conservation-Rules-Spreading--2734#

It is estimated that by 2020, the United States, will save between 6 billion and 9 billion gallons of water a day, enough to supply four to six cities the size of New York City.

Probably because of the above requirements...

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
And, since nobody manufactures free flowing fixtures the RV manufacturers are using the fixtures that limit flow to 2.2 GPM. The industry standard.

Now that our Bighorn fixture is needing to be replaced, I'm shopping for a new one but also will have the added expense of buying new pex adapters from 1/2" pex to 3/8" compression. It appears that most kitchen faucets available have the built in lines for 3/8" compression fittings.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
And, since nobody manufactures free flowing fixtures the RV manufacturers are using the fixtures that limit flow to 2.2 GPM. The industry standard.

Now that our Bighorn fixture is needing to be replaced, I'm shopping for a new one but also will have the added expense of buying new pex adapters from 1/2" pex to 3/8" compression. It appears that most kitchen faucets available have the built in lines for 3/8" compression fittings.

Ray, we did not like the bathroom faucet in the new BH, so I just went to lowes and put a delta right in.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Ray, we did not like the bathroom faucet in the new BH, so I just went to lowes and put a delta right in.

And now to finish what I was saying you should be able to get the PEX adapter cheap for your kitchen.

Ray LeTourneau

And now to finish what I was saying you should be able to get the PEX adapter cheap for your kitchen.
So far the only thing I've found is a sharkbite type adapter with a built in valve for about $12 each. It might be good to have shut offs though. I still have to look through the other fittings in plumbing. I was with Lin while shopping and she was getting bored.:rolleyes:

Ray LeTourneau

Ray. Do you not have pex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, 1/2 inch pex lines that connect to the faucets via a 1/2 female pipe thread finger tightened type fitting. Every fixture I've looked at come equipped with 3/8 compression connectors. At least I think they're 3/8. Might be 5/16, but compression for sure. Attached are a couple pic of what we have and the replacement needed.

Attachments

• need these.jpg
    need these.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Have these.jpg
    Have these.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 16