Yellowing

noobee

A number of outside vents, etc. have begun to yellow from UV rays. Is there a way to get them white again without having to paint them?

Thanks CS

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
With our previous rig we had this problem. Used some stuff called Awesome that we found at The Dollar Tree. Worked quite well. They did continue to yellow so we just kept cleaning them as needed.

ihsolutions

303 Protectant will slow down further degradation of the material. Over time these get brittle and will break. 303 protects against that. It will still yellow, but wash right off. It takes the UV rays instead of the plastic. Their slogan is "SPF sunscreen for your stuff" or something to that effect.

khalsey

On my Landmark and the sob trailer that I had for several years before, I just clean up the yellowing plastic vents, mask off the the surrounding area and paint with white Krylon Fusion paint for plastic in spray can. After several years was still white and never peeled off.

gpshemi

As a plastics engineer, I can tell you the only way you can protect it for good is to paint it. Everyone else can agrue if they want, but the bottom line is the same. The supplier expects the parts to be painted, but none of the manufacturers do that unless it's a custom painted unit. You can spray it with protectant all day long, but the UV's will continue to degrade (actually erode) the resin with time. You should paint it will it's still a viable part. Any decent paint will adhere to the material (HIPS or ABS most likely). Fusion isn't a bad call. I like Rustoleum myself.