1 Aaawwwww sssshucks - 1 atta-boy

Curt_Hinson

The wife and I spent two nights at Ft. Yargo State Park, Winder, GA on our second trip out with the new Heartland Sequoia. I was ready to hitch up and pull to Augusta, GA when I discovered that the bedroom slide would not retract all the way. In fact, it would only retract about a foot. You could extend it, but every time you tried to retract it, it would stop after traveling about 1 foot. It did the same thing using the remote. I placed a call to Good Sam Roadside Assistance and was finally told that someone would be out there in about three hours. They also informed me that the service call was free but I would have to pay for labor and parts. I was also informed that the service man charged $160.00 per hour with a minimum of two hours for labor. This did not include parts. I waited about 1 and 1/2 hours and then I did what any man with common sense would do. I went to my tools, got my screw driver and a bit to fit the screws they build the campers with, removed the little access door under the bed and I immediately discovered the problem. There was a large wire nut laying on the carpet. When I moved the wires attached to the motor, I could see that the wiring that was minus a wire nut was grounding out on the bolt that retained the chains. As long as the wire was not touching, the slide would move. Replaced the wire nut and stuffed both of them on top of the motor, put the panel back in place, moved the bedroom in, called Good Sam and they said that they would cancel the service call, hooked up and pulled to Augusta where I am writing this.

I thought all of the slides were hydraulic, however I discovered that the bedroom slide is chain driven. The motor is considerably more noisy now and I'm thinking the motor may have to be replaced. This is a warranty issue, but I don't want to take it back to where I bought it. They throw them out back and you may get it back in two to six weeks. I think I will contact Heartland about a replacement motor.

Dang, what a bummer.

Curt

jbeletti

Curt,

Sorry to hear this and awesome that you were able to fix it yourself. Being handy and owning an RV go hand-in hand. That said, this is something that should not have happened. I have flagged this up to plant 2 here LM/BH/BC are produced so they can look into better securing this splice so the action of sliding in and out does not disturb in any way, the spices under there (motor, reading lights and AC recepts).

jimtoo

Hi Curt,

With your VIN # in hand call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 or 574-262-8030, tell them your problem and ask if they have an independent repair service in your area that will do warranty work. You will need prior authorization and service person will, I'm sure, need to call in estimate for repairs. There are lots of independent shops that do warranty work for manufactures.

Let us know what happens.

Jim M

Curt_Hinson

Thanks Jim and Jim. I can't let this slide slide. I will be looking into this further. Electrical I understand more than I do hydraulics, so I will determine later what must be done.

Jim Beletti, not sure what all of your reply means, but it impressed me. :)

Thanks again, Curt