Battery not charging

Blue Oval

I just purchased a 2014 RW310. I was told by the tech that did walk through with me that the battery was recharged by both the plug going to the truck and /or the generator when it was running. Both times that I have used it though the battery has been nearly drained and I had to use a battery charger to recharge it. Is there something I am doing wrong or need to do keep the charge on the battery maintained?

Thanks, Steve

Mark-Mullin

Truck must be set up to charge your battery, not to difficult usually just a fuse in the fuse box not installed by manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blue Oval

I'll have to double check tomorrow when I get home, but I did locate the fuse and relay for trailer tow charge and they are there and good.

danemayer

Charging from the tow vehicle is a lot slower than charging from shore power. As for the generator, if you're plugging the trailer main power into the generator, then you should be charging normally from the power converter. UNLESS you're not charging at all from the power converter.

There's a set of 12V mini-circuit breakers near the batteries. One of those breakers has a teeny-tiny reset button. If it trips, the power converter will not charge the batteries. Take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic for a full explanation and pictures.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
2 things come to mind.

1, is there a battery disconnect on the battery cable and is it turned on?

2, If you dont keep your coach plugged in at home. A fully charged battery may only last 3 weeks and then will need recharging. There are things in your coach that will drain the battery just like in your car/truck when not plugged in or driven/genset running.

Blue Oval

Charging from the tow vehicle is a lot slower than charging from shore power. As for the generator, if you're plugging the trailer main power into the generator, then you should be charging normally from the power converter. UNLESS you're not charging at all from the power converter.

There's a set of 12V mini-circuit breakers near the batteries. One of those breakers has a teeny-tiny reset button. If it trips, the power converter will not charge the batteries. Take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic for a full explanation and pictures.

Thank you for that information....I'll check that as well tomorrow.

Blue Oval

2 things come to mind.

1, is there a battery disconnect on the battery cable and is it turned on?

2, If you dont keep your coach plugged in at home. A fully charged battery may only last 3 weeks and then will need recharging. There are things in your coach that will drain the battery just like in your car/truck when not plugged in or driven/genset running.

I pulled the camper home (about a 2 hour drive) and there wasn't even enough juice in the battery to start the generator. I charged it before I left and used shore power the entire time I was camping. If the inverter is working should you see an increase in say the brightness of you lights when hooked up to the truck and the truck is running? I know when I hook the battery straight up to my portable charger you can instantly see the lights get brighter, but would the inverter do the same?

danemayer

I pulled the camper home (about a 2 hour drive) and there wasn't even enough juice in the battery to start the generator. I charged it before I left and used shore power the entire time I was camping. If the inverter is working should you see an increase in say the brightness of you lights when hooked up to the truck and the truck is running? I know when I hook the battery straight up to my portable charger you can instantly see the lights get brighter, but would the inverter do the same?

When you say inverter, I assume you mean Power Converter, which converts 110V AC to 12V DC. An inverter does the opposite, converts 12V DC to 110V AC.

If you plug a portable charger directly into your battery and the 12V lights inside the coach get brighter, that tells me that power is getting from the battery to the fuse box and to the lights (meaning it's not a tripped mini circuit breaker). Rather it sounds like during camping, you're running your battery down to nothing (which isn't good for the battery).

If you check voltage at the battery with tow vehicle connected and disconnected, you should see the increase in power coming from the tow vehicle. If not, you'll have to trace the wiring through to the pinbox and connectors to see where it's open.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Converter plug might have come unplugged from the outlet behind the basement wall.

Blue Oval

Sometimes it's the simplest things..... Apparently they, camping world, put a cheap off brand battery in my new camper. Had 3 dry cells. They replaced it with a new exide and everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

Blue Oval

OK..... I thought it was just the battery. Is there something I am not doing right? New battery and I'm dry camping at the races in Bristol. Battery guess dead to the point that light in the camper won't even come on. Hook my portable battery charger up to the battery and the lights come on. What is the deal? I thought when you were running the generator it was like being hooked to shore power as far as everything being run. Also the guy at camper world told me the generator would charge the battery?

brianharrison

Are your other 120v devices working with the generator? Ie 120v lights or 120v ceiling fan? If yes the converter is not converting 120v to 12v. With all the battery connecting/disconnecting it may have sparked and blew the fuses on the converter. Or the plug from the converter may not be fully engaged.

Blue Oval

brianharrison:380316 said:
Are your other 120v devices working with the generator? Ie 120v lights or 120v ceiling fan? If yes the converter is not converting 120v to 12v. With all the battery connecting/disconnecting it may have sparked and blew the fuses on the converter. Or the plug from the converter may not be fully engaged.

Guess I will check that in the morning. I had no problem getting the battery charger to work when I plugged it into one of the receptacles on the camper. The TV was working fine, but the lights in the camper wouldn't come on and the awning lights were barely lit. I have checked the fuse box and don't see any blown fuses. From what I can tell there would be a light on next to any fuse that wasn't making a connection. Thanks for the quick response.

Jim.Allison

I may be completely wrong but I would like to offer this. 1st, immediately disconnect the battery and put it on a charger.

Verify that your leads are connected correctly.

Often the battery leads are accidently placed on the wrong terminals. This will result in the blade fuses blowing on the charger. If its a Progressive, they are external and completely replaceable.

This could set up the scenario that you are seeing.

A freshly charged battery runs your trailer. As long as the trailer is not hooked up to generator or shore power the DC circuits operate normally, but when you either run the generator or hook up to shore power the charger/converter blows its fuses. You may have an automatic breaker in the battery compartment that trips when you are hooked up to the tow rig.

To check this you need to look at your battery compartment, the small breaker should be your positive line. The code requires a fuse or breaker within 7 inches of the positive terminal. This will always be your positive terminal wire. The negative terminal wire can be identified by the fact that it is attached to the chassis via a buss near the battery. This is a chassis ground. In my rig the positive is red and the negative is white.

Cross wiring the battery is the most common way to blow all three 30 amp blade fuses on a progressive charger. This is where your problem is in my opinion.

BTW, before you get behind the basement walls to view your charger/converter check your charger/converter breaker first.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
It is amazing how one person can know so much about everything, WOW. I had to say it.