Broken hanger bolt on correct track

Roller4tan

Pulled into a campground in southern Alabama last night. The better half heard a loud pop as I was backing in to our slot. Come to find out the door side rear spring hanger nut had sheared off somewhere along our last stop in Louisiana. When I backed into the site the bolt and cam popped out and the spring jumped up to the frame. Today I checked local rv parts places and a utility trailer shop, but no one had the required parts. I could buy a whole new aftermarket kit and wait a day for it, but that's overkill for a nut, bolt, washer and cam. I even checked the local camping world, the parts girl looked like a deer in the headlights. Anyway I called lippert and was able to order over the phone the parts I need with a 2 day ship time. Ordered an extra set just in case. Now we wait.:eek:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry to hear! Can you post a pic of the failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

bolt.jpg
Cam with sheared bolt. Other side with nut is gone.
from side.jpg
view from side, note spring eye next to hanger
front good.jpg
front still good, note bolt welded to cam

rxbristol

Sorry to hear about the problem, at least it was found before any serious other problems occurred.

Roller4tan

Parts came in yesterday afternoon amidst a thunderstorm. I installed the new bolt and cams today. It'll get me back on the road to Michigan and I'm looking to install a wet bolt kit in the near future.
After looking close at the sheared bolt, it broke at the half way point of the length, which would have been inside the spring eye. This leads me to believe the nut was over torqued against the bolt shoulder. Since the other half of the bolt could be anywhere, I'll never know.

GWRam

Glad your back safely on the road. You may want to include in your pre towing inspection the seam where the hangers are welded to the frame. The door side rear hanger bracket sheared off on our unit. When having it welded back on the repair guy found the off door side rear bracket weld was half way cracked and rewelded that side also. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Roller4tan

Glad your back safely on the road. You may want to include in your pre towing inspection the seam where the hangers are welded to the frame. The door side rear hanger bracket sheared off on our unit. When having it welded back on the repair guy found the off door side rear bracket weld was half way cracked and rewelded that side also. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
Ordered the wet bolt kit from Dyers online. Should be at the house whenever we get there.;)

sengli

Anyone know what the mor ryde part number for the wet bolt kit is for our big horns equipped with the correct track systems?