Calgon?

Sandie

I have heard from a few people who use Calgon water softner in their tanks. They say it keeps the sensors clean? Just pour down toilet and into your sinks. Anyone have any feedback on this? It does make a bit of sense though.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Calgon or Boraxo works for us. We always use Dawn liquid soap in all the tanks. Helps keep down the junk that builds up is the kitch tank. Has always worked for us for 5 years now.

Sandpirate69

I started using the Calgon in liquid & a cup of laundry detergent in all of the tanks and it has worked awsome. I wish I would have known about this sooner. I was instructed to use this method by an old & salty US Navy Senior Chief. Boy, its great to be able to learn from those who have been RVing for a long time.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have white sinks so I also fill them up and soak them with bleach and it goes in to the gray tanks it also helps clean the sewer hoses when Kenny dumps.

Sandie

I am getting ready to try the Geo Method in our black tank for the first time. Now the water softener, detergent, and bleach will control odors and break up solids/t-paper or do I still need to add normal tank chemicals?

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We don't put bleach in the black I do that to keep my sinks white!! We do not use any tank chemicals for the black tank!! Just water softener and detergent!!

tom p

tomp
this tom p and we have been using calgon or the kroger brand with the camping world toliet cleaner(blue stuff) . It keeps the tank smelling nice(No odor) and the calgon keeps thing from sticking to walls of tank. No problem sence 2009. Good luck!

Sandie

Thanks Tom....that's what I was thinking of doing along with some laundry detergent. I just don't want any kind of chemical reaction between all these products.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you use a TP that says it's septic safe, you don't need to worry about it breaking up in the tank. We, like a lot of others, use Angel Soft TP. Calgon is a surfactant, not a detergent. Last year, all I put in the tank was a cup of Calgon dissolved in a bucket of water, along with about 5 gallons of water via the tank flush (I have a water meter). This season, I'm trying the Calgon along with a chemical packet to see if there is any difference. So far, I think not.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If you use a TP that says it's septic safe, you don't need to worry about it breaking up in the tank. We, like a lot of others, use Angel Soft TP. Calgon is a surfactant, not a detergent. Last year, all I put in the tank was a cup of Calgon dissolved in a bucket of water, along with about 5 gallons of water via the tank flush (I have a water meter). This season, I'm trying the Calgon along with a chemical packet to see if there is any difference. So far, I think not.

John, do you have a link or picture of your water meter? I'm interested in one.

Bksvo

We've always just used Calgon and laundry detergent and a few gallons of water. Nothing else. No problems. No smells.

We also don't stay parked for more than 4 days anywhere, and then we will dump before we leave (although there are 5 of us).

brlr2000

Remember, "Calgon, Take me Away" is a totally different product. Make sure you use the Calgon Water Softener (usually found by the laundry detergents).

Paul & Nan

And, do not care, keep a covered trash can for the TP, don't put it down. Then there are fewer worries. For over 30 years we have not had black water problems with this. Do not care, if you sit a bit in one place the TP can build. Learned this from several sources, and it is a keeper here. This way you can use the whatever TP to suit your tush. LOL

rick_debbie_gallant

And, do not care, keep a covered trash can for the TP, don't put it down. Then there are fewer worries. For over 30 years we have not had black water problems with this. Do not care, if you sit a bit in one place the TP can build. Learned this from several sources, and it is a keeper here. This way you can use the whatever TP to suit your tush. LOL

Paul, I agree with you. we have a covered can that you step on and open the lid for our TP. It is white with a stainless steel lid. We have been doing this for several years now and there is not a problem at all. "if it don't go through you first, then it does not go in the porcelain vault. My storey and I is sticking with it.