Fireplace malfunction Big Country 4010RD

BigGuy82

My instructions say:

36" Wall Mount Electric Fireplace Model# WW36WM.

No brand name on the instructions or on the fireplace itself.

It also says: "The appliance comes equipped with an overheat protection safety device. Should the appliance begin to overheat for any reason, it will automatically turn all functions of the appliance off. "

We never ran the unit overnight, but I have been out of the room with it running (like to take a shower.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a trusting soul, especially after having a fire in your first one. After what I've read here, I'm operating with an abundance of caution.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You are a trusting soul, especially after having a fire in your first one. After what I've read here, I'm operating with an abundance of caution.

No I never had a Fire. The Dimplex just shut off, or we noticed the blower just quit.

And I have some pyrophobia, so no, I don't trust them. But I do expect them to work properly.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I just read this thread and surprised by a few issues. I use the fireplace every day when it's cool on the new Sundance and it works wonderful. Keeps the entire RV warm without using the furnace. I have left it unattended for long periods of time not knowing there have been previous fire hazards. Guess I will have to adjust my use for when I am monitoring it. Wonder just how many "Fires" have been created by the fireplace models? It has to be very little as I have not seen any negative comments on the forum prior to this thread. Is there another thread showing this data?

TravelTiger

I have read of folks having issues of them quitting or smoking, in a variety of brands, on this form and others. Not a widespread problem, maybe less than 10 posts. I believe I have posted about our previous rig's Dimplex blower going out in the past.

I really consider the fireplace like a portable heater. Yes it has protections, but I would not leave it unattended for long periods.

danemayer

I agree with Erika. I think we've seen at most 10 posts about failures of various brands where there was smoke or concern that a fire might start. I don't recall any report of an actual fire and never heard of an RV burning up from a fireplace failure.

That said: if you have pets, and leave the fireplace running unattended, and it starts smoking, the smoke could be a problem for your fur babies.

aRAYwego

Our fireplace quit working about 2 months after we bought our LM. It would turn on, then about 15-20 seconds later would completely shut down. Figured out that it was the overheat protection due to the blower not starting. I took the unit out of the cabinet and noticed the blower wheel was "stuck". I freed it by hand and made sure the blower and heater worked before placing it back in the cabinet. Have not had any issues with it in almost 3 years now. I still only use it when we are sitting in front of it, but it is nice to know the overheat protection worked.

TravelTiger

Good news,

Heartland will be sending us a new fireplace. Hopefully it will be a newer model; it's been 15 months since this one was installed. Our coach was built in Oct 2015.

Erika

TravelTiger

Well, we received the new fireplace. Testing it uninstalled, I see a couple areas of the heating coils turning bright red. Not sure it's supposed to do that? Can someone with an Intertek fireplace confirm if they see any glowing red in the heating element?

jbeletti

Well, we received the new fireplace. Testing it uninstalled, I see a couple areas of the heating coils turning bright red. Not sure it's supposed to do that? Can someone with an Intertek fireplace confirm if they see any glowing red in the heating element?

Erika - you may want to add a picture of these glowing coils so other owners can see the intensity and location.

My guess is that's it's normal, as that's how heating coils work. Of course, best to be safe and compare to what others are experiencing. Is the fan running and hot air coming out?

TravelTiger

Erika - you may want to add a picture of these glowing coils so other owners can see the intensity and location.

My guess is that's it's normal, as that's how heating coils work. Of course, best to be safe and compare to what others are experiencing. Is the fan running and hot air coming out?

Jim, I know, I should have taken a pic. We just tried it about 3 min before heading to dinner, then this evening we packed it back in the box since we are traveling tomorrow. I'll take a pic once we are set up again.

The fan runs, on low and high, there is a definite difference in the heat settings. There is not as bright a red glow on low.

jbeletti

...The fan runs, on low and high, there is a definite difference in the heat settings. There is not as bright a red glow on low.

Sounding more like normal operation. At higher temp setting, more current drawn through coils = brighter coils = more heat being created.

That said, is what you're seeing actually normal? I cannot say with any certainty. Best bet is to reach out to Mfr. Are you sure it's Intertek? I think that's the product safety/certification lab that tested it. I know a fella that works for them.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I can take a look at it after you arrive here at Santo.

TravelTiger

I can take a look at it after you arrive here at Santo.

Thanks Terry, I think Mike F also said he had a similar one in his coach. We can compare.

See y'all later this afternoon! Only about 50 min for us, but gotta wait for Tony to get done with the school day.

TravelTiger

As promised here are pics:

5a9574b42fe0104d8cef211032f8582b.jpg

(The vent behind is the existing fireplace)

c58731d9a19998ed38a3d62385d7f513.jpg

(Note only small section glows red)

935ac84cff98f0f135fa78929dd8f23a.jpg

(Closeup)

TravelTiger

We decided to get an in-person opinion on the fireplace from another Heartlander while at the Sweetheart Rally, before we installed it. -- "Unsure, but that does look like you could make toast with it" was the comment. I borrowed a heat gun and also tested the temperature, the area that was glowing red was much hotter than the non-glowing coils.

I emailed Heartland with our temperature readings, pictures, and to find out the manufacturer and get their opinion. They referred me to David Carter & Associates. I contacted them via phone, and was told the person I needed talk to was at lunch when I called, so they transferred me to his voicemail. 2 days, no call back yet.

I also found out that Jamie Justis, the customer service rep I was working with, is no longer with Heartland. So I consulted with the Team Lead that emailed me that info. I sent him the pictures as well, and he agreed that it did not seem right.

He is sending us another fireplace.

TravelTiger

Haha! Yes, Rex but you never know -- we are going to Alpine, maybe we will get to use it there.

I did finally hear back from the guy at David Carter. He agreed it did not seem right. I sent him the mfg info on the back and the pics. He is going to talk to the manufacturer and let them know.

jbeletti

Erika - if you can, try to get the distributor or Mfr to commit to a temperature figure that is acceptable when hitting those coils with an IR gun. We'll measure your next replacement when we see you in Alpine :)

Bones

It's possible that when the coil was made it was not made consistently and that portion is seeing significantly greater resistance causing the glowing.