Fireplace malfunction Big Country 4010RD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Update

Well, we received a new fireplace on 3-3, but it was damaged in shipping and also exhibited the same glowing coil section as the previous fireplace. the manufacture date on this fireplace is the same as the previous one, so that makes me think it could be a manufacturing defect.

Fireplace glow.jpg

I have alerted Heartland and the Distributor of this -- waiting to hear next steps.

Erika

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 55

TravelTiger

After speaking with Heartland and the Distributor, we have a plan in the works. I'll let everyone know once I have in-hand.

TravelTiger

We finally received a new fireplace replacement that appears to work properly. Date of manufacture is 11/16.

This weekend we worked to install it. In the 4010RD, the entire fireplace mantel and fake marble surround had to be removed to get to the fireplace.

We found it was attached with long finish nails in only about 6 spots around the mantle. There is a slight gap all around the mantle edge, so we used a prying tool and scrap wood to protect the finish. We gently pried the mantle away.

Before:
bcdad36fd2fcd2951cf27502254d6b98.jpg

6e0cac25c5b8215d2d86379bcaf88768.jpg

Notice the gap between mantle and vertical surface

e1275e4e61c2036c37bcd5ef91142539.jpg

Mantle removed

Once the mantle was removed, we could grab the fireplace and lift it off of the mounting bracket.

c8e72ae182aa7e972ca56e104320f330.jpg

Fireplace removed

Once the old was out of the way, we tried the new using the same mounting bracket. Unfortunately, it didn't fit. The manufacturer has changed the mount so it has larger pins that the fireplace hangs on. Sadly, they are not in the exact same spots.

The new fireplace comes with the mounting bracket, so we marked where the old bracket was, removed it and put the new bracket in place. Luckily, there was not much difference in the overall dimensions of the bracket itself.

After the fireplace was mounted and plugged in, we reassembled the mantle. The fake marble surround was separate from the wood mantle. We aligned the surround to fit the fireplace. (It becomes sandwiched between the wall and the mantle.) In case we ever have to do this again, I used command strips to hold the surround in place.

(Forgot to get a pic)

Then we decided rather than brad nailing again, we would use screws to secure the fireplace to the wall. (Again, for easy access if needed in the future.)

Tony drilled some countersunk holes into two corners of the mantel and we secured the mantel to the wall. They are only noticeable if you know where to look.

Finished product:

a575730b8c49243bba0b334b4dda255b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Btw, if you don't like the fake marble look, it would be easy to remove entirely or change to something else, based on how this is assembled.

TravelTiger

You guys are getting pretty handy.

Dan, when you own an rv, you kinda have to be! I don't want to be at the mercy of a dealer to get stuff repaired. I've worked with Heartland directly. They don't seem to have a problem shipping our replacement items direct to us. (Television, fireplace, fan motor, fender, light fixture/globe, water heater door)

SLO

I had similar problem. Burning smell and blower not coming on. This happened just before LV rally. Can't remember what the warranty length was, but we 1were 7 months from new. Called distributor and they sent new blower, element, circuit board assembly at no charge. If it happens again I'll replace fireplace. I think I learned I won't be keeping fireplace on while we're away or at nite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Glad you got one that works properly.

We'll see! It was 85 today, we didn't get to test it for long! But the heating element doesn't glow, that is the important part.

The representative from the Distributor, David Carter & Associates, has been very concerned, helpful and apologetic.

Our fireplace failed last night.
Erika thanks for all the leg work, I'll be contacting Heartland on Monday!
We bypassed Nashville this year on our return from Florida.
Butch and Donita

Maxx

Our fireplace, the same no-name brand it appears as the OPs poured smoke out like an upside-down waterfall the first time my teen age son put it on high. shut if off immediately. I had been meaning to tend to it but life continued, went back today to figure out the problem...found the control panel is mis-wired too. Obviously the smoke is a huge problem but the fact that the dimmer light button actually controls the temp settings and the temp setting controls the dimmer light suggest the line workers, the quality control at the factory and the PDI job at the dealer were less then thorough. The unit glows red hot and no fan so its a goner. I really don't want the same manufacturer's heater as a replacement so I will look for a better quality unit that hopefully can fit the opening.

TravelTiger

Our fireplace, the same no-name brand it appears as the OPs poured smoke out like an upside-down waterfall the first time my teen age son put it on high. shut if off immediately. I had been meaning to tend to it but life continued, went back today to figure out the problem...found the control panel is mis-wired too. Obviously the smoke is a huge problem but the fact that the dimmer light button actually controls the temp settings and the temp setting controls the dimmer light suggest the line workers, the quality control at the factory and the PDI job at the dealer were less then thorough. The unit glows red hot and no fan so its a goner. I really don't want the same manufacturer's heater as a replacement so I will look for a better quality unit that hopefully can fit the opening.

Here is something to consider, hey no longer use this fireplace. I think they are using a Furrion fireplace now. However, it's surface mounted instead of inset. My thought was, if my replacement from Heartland fails in the future, I will remove the inset and create a new flat surface to mount a surface mount fireplace to it. I looked long and hard for a replacement to fit the opening, and only found one that had similar complaints about it.

Here is what the fireplace looks like once you remove the mantle and fake marble. (Held on with very few staples.)

af5e7d2e97ac8a4a1451d6b0957d6dbe.jpg

Maxx

Here is something to consider, hey no longer use this fireplace. I think they are using a Furrion fireplace now. However, it's surface mounted instead of inset. My thought was, if my replacement from Heartland fails in the future, I will remove the inset and create a new flat surface to mount a surface mount fireplace to it. I looked long and hard for a replacement to fit the opening, and only found one that had similar complaints about it.

Here is what the fireplace looks like once you remove the mantle and fake marble. (Held on with very few staples.)

I will have to research which will fit or if any modifications are needed to be made. I am not surprised they discontinued using this brand fireplace, seems like there should have been a recall. I am with you on doing the work yourself, no time to deal with the wait and hassle of the repair shops for stuff like this..even under the warrantee. I have done a dozen repairs myself that would have had the whole unit in the shop for months if I waited for the dealer or Heartland to handle it. Not saying they wouldn't have but simply stating its faster and you know the job is done when you do it.

smrkelley

I will have to research which will fit or if any modifications are needed to be made. I am not surprised they discontinued using this brand fireplace, seems like there should have been a recall. I am with you on doing the work yourself, no time to deal with the wait and hassle of the repair shops for stuff like this..even under the warrantee. I have done a dozen repairs myself that would have had the whole unit in the shop for months if I waited for the dealer or Heartland to handle it. Not saying they wouldn't have but simply stating its faster and you know the job is done when you do it.
My fireplace failed in exactly the same manner as you described. It was out of warranty. I called Heartland and spoke with Debbie in the parts department. She located a replacement fireplace for me and they shipped it to me. It was an exact fit. Heartland may help you with the fireplace issue especially if your warranty just ran out. They are having a lot of trouble with these bad fireplaces.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jdamude

All,

We've had our rig just a few days past our 1 year warranty. Today, the fireplace stopped working -- I turned it on, as a do often in the morning during this winter, and it came on, as usual. I walked away for a couple of minutes and when I walked back into the room, I could see the where the air blows out was glowing bright red (it doesn't normally) so I quickly ran over and turned the unit off. I also realized the fan was not blowing from the fireplace like it should (it did when turned on moments before). It was also emitting a burning smell, almost a burning wiring or plastic smell. I unplugged the unit. The plug was not hot, and no issues with the plug that I could see.

I have read on Facebook of other 4010RD owner having similar experiences.

I have an email in to Heartland/Jamie Justis, whom I'm dealing with on some other minor warranty claims, so hopefully we can get a satisfactory resolution.

The manual for this fireplace has no brand name on it, and no warranty info, contact info, or troubleshooting -- other than "Discontinue use if... unit smokes or smells like smoke."

Our Fireplace has quit as well. Trailer is just over a year old. I will be contacting Heartland tomorrow to see what can be done about it.We have a 2016 Big Country 4010RD,

TravelTiger

Our Fireplace has quit as well. Trailer is just over a year old. I will be contacting Heartland tomorrow to see what can be done about it.We have a 2016 Big Country 4010RD,

If they balk, mention that you have read there is a history of premature failure of these fireplaces, and ask them to research this.

Back when I received two defective units to replace my failed unit, I spoke to the distributor, Mike Mohr at Dave Carter. He was very concerned. He told me he would get in touch with Heartland and planned to "hold installation" of the fireplaces until they could determine the issue. This was in March of 2017.

We noticed this fall that new 2018 Big Countries no longer had this fireplace installed.