Ford F450 ??????

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Any of you boys tow with an F450? I am gathering info for a TV upgrade as I am considering a much larger 5er a couple of years down the road for retirement.

Rick

2010augusta

We have an '06 F-450 hauler body and LOVE it. The turning radius is great and the kelderman air ride makes it ride like a caddy.

Some of us girls share towing in a Ford F450 too, ya know. We have a 2008 Ford F450 with a 4.88 rear end which gives us a towing capacity of 26,600 lbs. We have the Navistar 6.4 engine with the dual turbo exhaust, which means there are six (count 'em) radiators in that puppy. The ride is much improved over our 2000 Ford F450 which of course was built as a conversion since Ford didn't make the F450 as a pick up then. The turning radius is wonderful--no more 3 point turns to get into a parking spot. Fuel economy? Not so good with the new engine/exhaust system. That would be our major complaint. Ford apparently is now building their own engines again so towing capacities may be different now and your mileage may vary if you have a truck built with a different rear end. A lot of RVers go with the 4.30 rear end on a F350 and deem it enough for their towing needs. We went with the F450 because we were towing a 2002 Palisades that weighed 16,700 lbs actual weight. The GVW on our 2011 Landmark is supposed to be 16,200, but we haven't weighed it yet to see what our actual weight is. That's next on the list.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
My apologies RV vagabonds. Any opinions from you boys and GIRLS would be appreciated. lol. I have been well reprimanded.

Rick

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Rick, you might want to PM KNJP123 (Kevin and Nellie). They have a nice classy Chassis conversion and some guy named Jim Beletti-but he has a 550.
Also klindgren ( Keith) has a brand new 450 that is pretty darn nice.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Overkill and ROTTEN milage. Horrible costs of repair and well, to tell you the truth everything I pull (and that is daily) takes nothing more than a 350. Your choice though.......Ford will love you and send you a Christmas Card!

beasleyrl

We just upgraded from a 2007 Silverado Dually (Duramax/Allison) to a 2008 F450 with a 4.88 axle. We pull a 2009 Cyclone that weighs in around 19000 pounds with water and toys. The Silverado was rated for about 16K. The F450 is rated for 24K. We took it on our first trip last weekend. First impressions - There is a huge difference in power and braking. This was a quick trip over the mountains on I64 around Charlottesville, VA. The temperature gauges never moved off the middle. My Silverado transmission would have been at the red line point (been there many times over the last few years). The other thing I noticed was I hardly had to use the brakes coming down the mountains. The engine maintained the speed without any real acceleration. On the state highways before the interstate, the brakes were amazing. On the Silverado, I felt like I had to put my foot through the floor to get the rig stopped. The F450 feels like the trailer isn't really there (well, almost). As someone else said, the mileage stinks! About 6 pulling and about 11 not pulling but I think the tradeoff is worth it. While I have been a GM person about all my life, I have to admit, this Ford beats my GM hands down for towing. Also as a side note on insurance, it is about half the price of a 3500 if you add it to your RV policy.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We just upgraded from a 2007 Silverado Dually (Duramax/Allison) to a 2008 F450 with a 4.88 axle. We pull a 2009 Cyclone that weighs in around 19000 pounds with water and toys. The Silverado was rated for about 16K. The F450 is rated for 24K. We took it on our first trip last weekend. First impressions - There is a huge difference in power and braking. This was a quick trip over the mountains on I64 around Charlottesville, VA. The temperature gauges never moved off the middle. My Silverado transmission would have been at the red line point (been there many times over the last few years). The other thing I noticed was I hardly had to use the brakes coming down the mountains. The engine maintained the speed without any real acceleration. On the state highways before the interstate, the brakes were amazing. On the Silverado, I felt like I had to put my foot through the floor to get the rig stopped. The F450 feels like the trailer isn't really there (well, almost). As someone else said, the mileage stinks! About 6 pulling and about 11 not pulling but I think the tradeoff is worth it. While I have been a GM person about all my life, I have to admit, this Ford beats my GM hands down for towing. Also as a side note on insurance, it is about half the price of a 3500 if you add it to your RV policy.

Isn't it nice to not feel like the trailer is "controlling" the truck...as far as we're concerned, there's no such thing as "overkill"....however, I like my GM...LOL!!!

We traded our '06 F350 DRW Crewcab for a '10 F450 and have not regretted it. The F450 pulls our Big Horn 3610RE with much more authority then our old truck (and we were very happy with our '06). Decided to buy the '10 rather then waiting on the '11 because I did not like what Ford did to the dually fenders for '11 (looks like the old Dodge Dually fenders). I get around 9-10 MPG with the F450 towing so not that much less than my '06 F350, but then if you are buying for mileage, but a Kia!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Rick, you might want to PM KNJP123 (Kevin and Nellie). They have a nice classy Chassis conversion and some guy named Jim Beletti-but he has a 550.
Also klindgren ( Keith) has a brand new 450 that is pretty darn nice.

Thanks Larry. I absolutly love my 2010 F-450. It gets better gas mileage (ok, so it's "diesel mileage") than my 2008 ever got and this one is even broken in yet. I love all the toys that I got with it like the gps and sirus radio system.

Keith

truknutt

Committed Member
I enjoy our '09 450; pulls the Cyclone with very little "Grunt". There is a significant difference in handling when pulling the Cyclone between our "03 350 DRW and the 450. Fuel mileage is what it is and as others have said "didn't buy it for the mileage". Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Dave

shelsay

Just took our second short trip with our new 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon and new 2011 F450. I find the engine very quiet and very responsive. Even though it only has 1300 miles on it, we're averaging better than 10 mpg towing and around 17 driving carefully without the trailer. I feel that the truck performs without limit--all I've got to do is give it throttle and we're good to go. So far, I'm very pleased. We opted for the 2011 over the 2010 for the new engine and transmission. The exhaust brake and the new transmission work wonderfully. So far, I'm loving it.

David

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
I just got the 2011 F450 and it's FANTASTIC! I already posted to the other F450 post so check that one out for more. As Shelsay mentioned and I forgot in my other post, it's incredibly quiet. When I picked it up, I was standing about 5 feet away and a 2010 6.4l (which was significantly quieter than the 6.0l) started and idled by about 10 feet on the other side of the 2011 and drowned out the noise from the 2011. Others have mentioned the power, I just took my 8.5X24' cargo trailer on about 700 miles and couldn't feel it behind me which is quite different from the 2008 F250 I used before.

As for the mileage, it's better than my 08 6.4l F250 was after being broken in. If you're towing 18,000 (the limit for the 2011 F350), I'd go up to the 450. It's nice to not be at the limit and the extra pulling power is nice. If you're under the limit, go for the 350, insurance will be easier to obtain and you'll save a little cash both on purchasing and on fuel when on the highway with that lower differential.

I also didn't like the fenders, but I'll get over it. The improvements well outweigh the drawback of ugly fenders.

Bighurt

I also didn't like the fenders, but I'll get over it. The improvements well outweigh the drawback of ugly fenders.

I'm not a big fan of the new body...or the fact that they drastically changed the F450 in 2011. 2008-2010 had beefy axles...the 2011 uses the same as the F350 with a different spring set.

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
Unfortunately, Ford will never make everyone happy. They changed the axles, frame and wheels in response to the massive amount of complaints about fuel economy. I think they could have kept the 450 beefier and gave an optional tow package for the 350 (which is what the 450 is now). For the body, though some may not like the looks, one of the perks with the new hood is that the windshield washer spray actually hits the windshield in the 2011 when you're at highway speed rather than hitting low and being blown to the side :)

Bighurt

one of the perks with the new hood is that the windshield washer spray actually hits the windshield in the 2011 when you're at highway speed rather than hitting low and being blown to the side :)

Yours hit the windshield? Wow...like the elusive 6.4 that got 20 mpg, perhaps it should have been saved...LOL

I clean my windshield at gas stops or before leaving, doing so on the go just gets rid of my fluid.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
If there is no such thing as overkill why not pull with a cabover Peterbuilt, or wait maybe a M60 track. There is "overkill" and people feed on it. Many on this forum seem to think they are pulling a reefer at 85,000 lbs.