Fresh water tank filling up?

We just had a 2011 Cyclone delivered to us at the campground. We had water leaking from the under belly so we dropped the lining and tighened the fittings after draining the fresh water tank. The leaks are gone, but our fresh water tank filled up? The owners manual has no info as to why. We will be staying in the rig through the winter hooked up to city water. How do we keep the fresh water tank from filling again? :confused:

jimtoo

Hi Plane n around,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It sounds like the check valve in the pump may be leaking back. You might disconnect from city water and run pump for a few minutes which maybe will flush something out of the check. Maybe this would work.. If not you may need to disconnect pump and plug line till you can get dealer to change pump or check it out for you.

I'm sure some others will have some ideas also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PS,,, I hope you were not forced into the Cyclone due to the fires in that area.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In addition to Jimtoo's reply, there should be a valve on the pumps suction line between the pump and fresh water tank. About a foot away from the pump inlet. You can close this valve to prevent the back fill. This has been discussed a few times here on the forum. The pump will need to be cleaned or replaced. It is caused by either debris in the pump or a faulty set of diaphragms in the pump mechanism.

mdhill

In addition to Jimtoo's reply, there should be a valve on the pumps suction line between the pump and fresh water tank. About a foot away from the pump inlet. You can close this valve to prevent the back fill. This has been discussed a few times here on the forum. The pump will need to be cleaned or replaced. It is caused by either debris in the pump or a faulty set of diaphragms in the pump mechanism.

No such shut off valve on my 2010 Cyclone 3850. It has done the same thing as plane n around's since new. Gotten worse lately so now out of warranty
and dealing with it. Shurflo is sending me new rotor for pump and repairing it myself. There is no check valve in this style pump. (5.7) I guess by design it
is not supposed to allow backflow but sometimes does??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
No such shut off valve on my 2010 Cyclone 3850. It has done the same thing as plane n around's since new. Gotten worse lately so now out of warranty
and dealing with it. Shurflo is sending me new rotor for pump and repairing it myself. There is no check valve in this style pump. (5.7) I guess by design it
is not supposed to allow backflow but sometimes does??

I'm surprised there is no shut off valve. Is the input line the reinforced style 1/2" hose or pex? Either way, it would be easy enough to install a ball valve for future needs. I keep ours closed unless we use the fresh water tank. Which is very seldom. I have modified our basement access panel to allow quick & easy access to the plumbing down there. By the way, Shurflo replaced our pump within a few months of picking up our BH. Same issue. Problematic pump valving.

mdhill

I'm surprised there is no shut off valve. Is the input line the reinforced style 1/2" hose or pex? Either way, it would be easy enough to install a ball valve for future needs. I keep ours closed unless we use the fresh water tank. Which is very seldom. I have modified our basement access panel to allow quick & easy access to the plumbing down there. By the way, Shurflo replaced our pump within a few months of picking up our BH. Same issue. Problematic pump valving.
I am hoping the new pump parts will solve the backflow problem. Will install as soon they arrive. If not, I will place a valve inline and place a hinge on the panel
so I can easily get to valve and pump as you have done.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Also you can put a check valve in the suction line of the water pump. This allows the pump to draw water from the fresh water tank and not deposit water in the fresh water tank.

gpshemi

Mine did this from the get go too. It was the pump. Leaks past the pump to the tank. No shut off installed, and frankly don't want one either. The soft start ramp up design of the Shurflo 5.7's operation is great, but if you research they are an overly expensive and a problematic pump. Many many posts on Google about issues with it. Mine was swapped out under warranty through Heartland once I pressure checked the coach and figured out what it was. When this one goes bad, I think I'm going back to the older style and re-install my accumulator tank instead. Seemed to be a far more reliable setup and frankly...cheaper. The 5.7 was $175 at the dealer, a standard Shurflo was $75. The 2 gallon accumulator ran me $40 at Home Depot. So the later is still $60 cheap and works better. No more pump running for a flush at night.

flamingknitter

Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I am no expert - not by a long shot but....I had a similar problem while traveling the western states last year. My problem was solved by a pressure regulator!!! I had a leaky rig for six weeks and then took it to the shop. They could not get it to leak until they took off the pressure regulator. I had not been using mine because I had gotten a little lazy about it, since I was moving every day. Just a thought and it is a lot cheaper and easier than taking all those panels off and digging around in the "spaghetti".

Thanks for the input. Tad overwelmning and today we have water leaknig once again from the under belly. Calling in a professional and we'll see what Heartland will do for reimbursement. The fires have not put us in the Cyclone this is by choice thankfully!

Cyclone Traveler

We had a the same problem after about a year or so and replaced two pumps before identifying the pressure buildup was being caused by the water heater. After much discussion with shurflow we installed a check valve on the fill line to the WH finally solving the problem. Fortunately the water pumps flow valve is the weakest link associated with line pressure and reversed allowing the tank to fill rather tan bursting a pipe.

I intend to discuss with the WH company why the pressure increase and not relieved as designed.
Hope this helps.