Glass Tile Backsplash

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Got industrious and installed this glass tile backsplash in the galley (kitchen for you land lubers:rolleyes:) today.

photo3a.jpgphoto4a.jpgphoto5a.jpgphoto.JPGphoto6a.jpg

Have a little trim work to finish but we're happy with it so far.

boatto5er

I used the cut, peel one side, stick, and peel the other side adhesive tile mats instead of thinset or other mixed adhesive and it worked great. Kept the mess down and holds the fairly light glass tile sheets really tightly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did you grout the tiles after install? It looks great! I've been pondering this look, wondering if I got the Landmark I could use those tiles instead of the fake tile-look boarder.

Erika

boatto5er

Did you grout the tiles after install? It looks great! I've been pondering this look, wondering if I got the Landmark I could use those tiles instead of the fake tile-look boarder.

Erika

I did grout it. Another great thing about the self stick adhesive (hmmmm, that sounds redundant) is that you can grout immediately. No waiting for the adhesive to dry first. I used a lightly sanded pre mixed grout.

TravelTiger

Gus, how much did it cost, in time and materials?

Heartland, take note! This is a VERY nice upgrade, that would definitely stand out in your top of the line rig. ;)

jbeletti

Nice mod Gus!

Erika/Tony,

Heartland would not be placing and grouting real tile in our coaches. That said, there are some tile-like backsplashes out there that they have looked at. Some pretty realistic - some, not so much.

boatto5er

Gus, how much did it cost, in time and materials?

Heartland, take note! This is a VERY nice upgrade, that would definitely stand out in your top of the line rig. ;)

5 one ft square tiles @ 4.99 ea = $25, Grout = 6.99, I already had a float and other materiels. Labor time = approx 3 hours total.

errr...See Jim B's note above:angel:

TravelTiger

Nice mod Gus!

Erika/Tony,

Heartland would not be placing and grouting real tile in our coaches. That said, there are some tile-like backsplashes out there that they have looked at. Some pretty realistic - some, not so much.

Awwww. Ok, I will take "more realistic" over the wall-paper. :)

Erika

jbeletti

Awwww. Ok, I will take "more realistic" over the wall-paper. :)

Erika

Erika,

I agree, the wall paper is just, oh I don't know - "just wall paper"!

Even the faux backsplashes we're using (that aren't wall paper) are pretty decent looking. I believe you can buy them from Heartland too. But there's a lot of stuff out there at retail that can be purchased to pretty the place up :)

To my knowledge, Gus may have the first Heartland product with a real glass/ceramic backsplash. I can't wait to see it in person!

Jim

boatto5er

5 one ft square tiles @ 4.99 ea = $25, Grout = 6.99, I already had a float and other materiels. Labor time = approx 3 hours total.

errr...See Jim B's note above:angel:
Oops, forgot the adhesive. $19.95. I'm using some trim I have left from removing the shelf in the W/D closet when we did that install.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Good work Gus.

I am losing my tile guy (heading to Minot ND) so can I count on you for showers and floors???:)

rjr6150

Gus
Great work and really improves the looks. Well with that said are you going to be at Gillette and will you be will do other coaches.(<:

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I made the mistake and showed my wife, guess what's on my to do list now. thanks for posting it, I was looking for something to do with that space in our BH.

rnewk52

Great idea and great looking tiles. Nice job !! Just curious tho, if you used "peel & stick" tile , what was the additional
adhesive used for??