Goodyear Tire Failure Club

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here we go again. Yesterday, 4-20-13, the tread came off of our DS front Goodyear G614. It caused damage to our RV, bending the J-Wrap, cutting the side clearance light wire, and breaking the clearance light. Also breaking the fender skirt and tearing the slideout seal. This tire was less than 3 years old (will be 3 years old in December of this year). It has been kept at the proper inflation and never driven over curbs or in severe service. I was traveling at 60 mph at the time of the failure. DW was following me in her car at the time and she came over the walkie-talkie and told me the tire 'looked funny' and before I could pull over she said 'you better stop cause is it coming apart'. The tread came off the tire and the TPMS never alarmed and was showing inflation to be 108 PSI. The outside air temp at the time was 59 degrees. FYI this is the second G614 that failed the same way and in the same location on the vehicle. The tire did not show excessive wear and still had plenty of tread left. What really aggravates me is the day before I ordered a set of 17.5 wheels with Goodyear G114 tires and they are supposed to be here this coming Tuesday.

Anyone else a member of the 'Goodyear Tire Failure Club'.

brianharrison

Rats on the timing of the failure - with just ordering the 17.5s.

3 yrs old in Dec would make the date code about 5010? That is a later date than some of the other G614 failures, from my recollection. Makes me worry as mine are just a bit older - 0310.

Does anyone have a contact into GY and know if they track date codes and rate of failures on 614s? Just a thought.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ours went at just about the same age....I am convinced that the problem is being too close to the load capacity of the tires. We were approximately 300 pounds under on each of our G614's and also kept the tires properly inflated and never drove over 60 mph.

We now have 17.5 G114's and our "cushion" is over 1,100 pounds per tire....feel much more confident in these tires...especially since the four tires can carry over 19K...considerably more than the ENTIRE rig weighs....sorry you've had to go thru this too!!

aatauses

WOW--glad no one was hurt---I am in the process of researching tires for this summer---I thought??? I had decided on GY 614's, but now wondering??
al
currently in Kenai, AK

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone figured out if the problem is age related, or could it be a bad batch of tires that were produced at a certain point?
Trace

Last edited:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I talked to a tire tech at a big RV store last week who thinks the sidewalls are breaking down from sitting too long in one place. His solution....take the load off the tires when parking for any significant length of time

szewczyk_john

how does one take the load off of the tires. Are we to put our unit up on blocks? I keep mine in a storage unit with a gravel lot. I have put boards down but that is all. I have my new rims and 114 ordered.

donr827

I talked to a tire tech at a big RV store last week who thinks the sidewalls are breaking down from sitting too long in one place. His solution....take the load off the tires when parking for any significant length of time
If my trailer is not going to be used for a long period of time I hook up the trailer and take it for 25 minute drive once a month. I was told that this would be good for the tires and bearings.
Don

mobilcastle

If you want an alternative to G14 then look at this tire. These came stock on the 5ver I own and they look new with about 20K on them. I hope these are available when I need tires as I will buy them in a minute. I have not read about this tire blowing out on any forums including RV.net . Good luck-I hope Goodyear helps you out. http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Wow, my G614's are approaching the age, manufactured 4610. I do keep a check on them, use the PressurePro tire monitoring, yet failures seem to happen to folks doing the same. Having the Lippert auto level system installed, and the extreme ground slope where the trailer is parked when not on the road requires that both axles/tires are a couple of inches off the ground in order to have the trailer level (can only use 'manual' mode to level). So hopefully the suggestion to "take the load off the tires" will work for me. For the long term solution I am thinking more and more that the 17.5 inch wheels and tires will be the solution.

GOTTOYS

Just another person's opinion. If it came from an Engineer for the tire company I might pay more attention...I have no plans to jack my rig up every time I want to store it. Haven't seen any of the hundreds of other trailers in my storage lot jacked up either...Just my opinion...Don

Speedy

If you want an alternative to G14 then look at this tire. These came stock on the 5ver I own and they look new with about 20K on them. I hope these are available when I need tires as I will buy them in a minute. I have not read about this tire blowing out on any forums including RV.net . Good luck-I hope Goodyear helps you out. http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires
Funny that is the same tire that my Big Country came with from the factory. I've been impressed with their wear and durability since picking up the coach. They hold air quite well and need very little adjustment unless the outside temps swing wildly.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
It would be quite interesting if we knew the "life history" on the tires that have come apart. Did they have frequent, long-term storage? Were they in use frequently? Frequent parking/tight turns? Protected from sun exposure?
I would like to see if there is some sort of pattern to failure rather than just percentages of brand failures that parallel market share.

TXTiger

I replaced my Tow Max China Bombs with the Michelin XBS Ribs. Was told that the sidewalls on the XBS Ribs is stronger than the Goodyear G614's. Also they are 80 PSI so didn't have to replace any rims. Will be leaving Calif in two weeks for the Gettysburg Rally and be on the road all summer. Will let you all know how these tires do.

aatauses

TwoToes--what size are your ribs---I did not think they came in 235.85r16??
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Gary521

Got a Question. A while ago, Everybody on this forum was talking about replacing the original ST tires with Michelin XPS Rib LT tires. I have not heard or seen any issues with these tires. Now the tire du jour is the Good Year G tire and with many issues. Why not stay with the Michelin or some other comparable LT RIB tire? I have not heard any issues with these type of LT tires.
I jack up my trailer for storage to reduce pressure on the tires and then lower tire pressure.

scottyb

TwoToes--what size are your ribs---I did not think they came in 235.85r16??
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK

They do. I have 235/85 R16 but they are 1.2" larger OD than the Towmax. They also make a 245 75 r16 with the same load rating. They are almost the same to the OD of the ST's but hey supposedly require a 6.5" min width rim. Somebody here had them mounted on their 6.0" rims. I have 6K on miy Ribs already.

jmgratz

I can tell you our RV has never sat in one place for more than a month on the last two sets of G614s. Since I know we were not over weight, under or over inflated and had not driven over the rated speed it must be something in the tire itself. I plan on making a complaint with NAHTSA also and maybe if more of us would there would be something done to correct the problem.

jmgratz

I replaced my Tow Max China Bombs with the Michelin XBS Ribs. Was told that the sidewalls on the XBS Ribs is stronger than the Goodyear G614's. Also they are 80 PSI so didn't have to replace any rims. Will be leaving Calif in two weeks for the Gettysburg Rally and be on the road all summer. Will let you all know how these tires do.

If the XPS Ribs only hold 80 psi then they are E rated not G (110 psi) rated tires. E rated have a lower carrying capacity then G tires.