Goodyear Tire Failure Club

mobilcastle

I think Goodyear charges way to much for the G14. They seem to have more and more blowouts-maybe they cannot take the load like the Xribs. I think there are many out there who are running tires not rated for there load capacity but it seems to be working for them. I am going to stick with Sailons. I just checked my tire pressure as we are leaving this week to go south and they lost no air over winter-I have never had tires do that. BTW I have no connection with the Sailon tire company-I just hate seeing people having these blowouts. I think Heartland should go back to the Sailon or offer it as an option.

lwmcguir

We have a number of G614's mostly on stock or flat bed trailers. They range from 24-32 feet and we have never blown one. However they are all older than 3 years so makes me think they had a change in manufacture or a component that is a problem. I have never had any Sailuns on anything and most likely won't. If you are going to load up near capacity on any tire it usually causes problems. We went to 17.5's or 19.5'5 (heavier trailers)on the Coach and all the heavier trailers. Having a little margin is a good thing. Really sounds like Goodyear needs to step up to the plate on this one. If you look at the number of G614's on the road compared the Canadian tire it is staggering in favor of Goodyear. It will be interesting to see how the Sailun's hold up in the long haul. If they do hold up and stay a $100 cheaper then they will start selling some serious amounts of tires.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been away a few days visiting family and just read your thread Jim. Sorry to hear of your tire issue. Good thing your 17.5's are near.
As many have probably read, our G614's failed as well but after 5 years. The fact that both failures of mine were on the same side and within a few miles of each other, I truly believe it was pot hole related.
The last few days of travel, I've been watching closely at the potholes on our roads. The ones that are the worst seem to be at bridge crossings on concrete roads or where the bridge surface meets the road surface. These holes seem to have sharp edges. IMHO most concrete pothole have sharp edges. Think about a 15000 pound plus rig going 65 mph hitting one of these holes and the effect it must have on the tread surface of the tire. Some of these holes are deep & wide. I really don't think "road hazard'' should be ruled out when these tires fail.

lwmcguir

I've been away a few days visiting family and just read your thread Jim. Sorry to hear of your tire issue. Good thing your 17.5's are near.
As many have probably read, our G614's failed as well but after 5 years. The fact that both failures of mine were on the same side and within a few miles of each other, I truly believe it was pot hole related.
The last few days of travel, I've been watching closely at the potholes on our roads. The ones that are the worst seem to be at bridge crossings on concrete roads or where the bridge surface meets the road surface. These holes seem to have sharp edges. IMHO most concrete pothole have sharp edges. Think about a 15000 pound plus rig going 65 mph hitting one of these holes and the effect it must have on the tread surface of the tire. Some of these holes are deep & wide. I really don't think "road hazard'' should be ruled out when these tires fail.
Great points. We don't drive any concrete roads so have none of the sharp edged pot holes. Many of the roads are rough and mostly gravel but again rounded holes. I do think the 17.5's are the way to go if you are keeping a Coach for several years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
New 17.5 rims and G114 tires and here and mounted on the RV. Really like the look of the new wheels. I have included some photos of the new and 'old' wheels and tires. Old are 16" Goodyear G614 and the new are 17.5" Goodyear G114. I have put both the old and new ones side by side and the height is the same (or close to it). Note the new wheels are spoked with black insets. Sure like them. They are new to the http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ where I bought them.

Attachments

• DSC04907.JPG
    DSC04907.JPG
    670.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC04924.JPG
    DSC04924.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC04918.JPG
    DSC04918.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC04930.JPG
    DSC04930.JPG
    777.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Sailor

The link to tiresandwheels.com doesn't work. Can you please recheck the name and let me know? We have G614s and they are beginning to look like they are wearing out. Would like to replace before blow out! Thanks!

jmgratz

I was told by a reputable tire dealer that the tires will start to deteriorate at around 3 year mark. They should be replaced every 5-7 years but he recommended every 3 years. Both of our G614 failures have been at the 2 1/2 - 3 year mark. The number of miles run is also a factor as it the length of time sitting in one location. RV tires last longer with use.

dave10a

It is a little disoncerting when people have problems with a top quality tire. I would like to know how many miles, towing speed/ambient temp, loaded trailer weight, age, any road hazzard issues and how the tires are stored and any other pertianent information that could be helpful to understand these problems.

jmgratz

It is a little disoncerting when people have problems with a top quality tire. I would like to know how many miles, towing speed/ambient temp, loaded trailer weight, age, any road hazzard issues and how the tires are stored and any other pertianent information that could be helpful to understand these problems.

What is disconcerting to me is doing everything you know how to do right and still have the failure. Must be something more there. I know there are a lot of factors which go into a system failure but I can tell you in my case I have tried my best to do everything right. Could it be there is just some sort of manufacturing issue? I don't know but what if it is?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can imagine a bad lot over a short time frame but not over a longer period than a few days. Hopefully a QC inspection would find an issue pretty quick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

I am in the process of filing a claim for the damage to Goodyear. I will keep yall posted on its process. My last one took about 6 weeks to complete.

MurrayN.

I just finished my fourth year with the original TowMax tires on my Sundance without any problems. Have been nervous the last couple of years though reading about all of the tire blowouts on this forum. After some scouting around I found a dealer that could order in some Maxxis tires for me and I got it done. A large tire chain in a local city here told me that they used to carry them but the head office discontinued them for some reason, the manager said that they were the best trailer tire that he had ever used but could no longer get them. How many of you guys have ever tryed these and what has been your experience?

dave10a

What is disconcerting to me is doing everything you know how to do right and still have the failure. Must be something more there. I know there are a lot of factors which go into a system failure but I can tell you in my case I have tried my best to do everything right. Could it be there is just some sort of manufacturing issue? I don't know but what if it is?
I wonder if sharp turning from backing or otherwise could cause pre-mature tire tread separation. Motor homes with tag axel either lift the rear wheels or limit the weight on tag axel while turning shapely. The G614's are LT tires which means they do not have the side wall strength to withstand sharp turn radius like the ST. It is a shame that Lippert provides no options to lift or reduce the weight on rear axels while turning sharply and dragging the rear tires. Of course my theory only applies to the rear tires on tandem axels.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just finished my fourth year with the original TowMax tires on my Sundance without any problems. Have been nervous the last couple of years though reading about all of the tire blowouts on this forum. After some scouting around I found a dealer that could order in some Maxxis tires for me and I got it done. A large tire chain in a local city here told me that they used to carry them but the head office discontinued them for some reason, the manager said that they were the best trailer tire that he had ever used but could no longer get them. How many of you guys have ever tryed these and what has been your experience?

We've had Maxxis on our rig since Aug 2011, probably close to 22K miles on them now, and they have done great. We weighed our ElkRidge 34QSRL at Gillette, our rig weighed 13425, axle weight was 10225. GVWR is 14350. I think the Maxxis are great for this weight of 5ver.

Erika

danemayer

The G614's are LT tires which means they do not have the side wall strength to withstand sharp turn radius like the ST.
The Goodyear documentation refers to the G614 as RST. In addition, I think their steel belts go from bead-to-bead unlike most trailer tires that just have steel under the tread. That's why they're so heavy and cost so much.