Help with the numbers (weighed the rig) . . .

StrongJava

Did you get the weight of just the truck?

Didn't the scale have different pads for the truck front and rear, and the trailer?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 4K lb springs?

I was just about to ask the same question as Tim. Did you get the truck weighed?
An important part of the equation.

Peace
Dave

StrongJava

If not, you can use the bathroom scale.

Just drive each tire up on the scale and add the weights together ;)

jbeletti

I'm not great at this sort of thing but I am pretty good at using Excel. Below is my analysis. Don't take it to the bank though :)
Microsoft ExcelScreenSnapz007.jpg

Would be nice to have a "Trailer only - unhitched from the truck - rear axle on the scale" and a "Trailer only - unhitched from the truck - front axle on the scale". Depending on the scale pad length, you may not be able to get the trailer front axle only weight.

Last edited:

danemayer

When the nose is high, the weight is not evenly distributed. You've got more on the rear axle.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

When the nose is high, the weight is not evenly distributed. You've got more on the rear axle.

Exactly . . .

Which is why I thought it was important to have those figures with the trailer hitched to the truck as when it is parked . . . the trailer is level.

Weighing the axles while it is parked and level wouldn't shed any light on my axle issue.

jnbhobe

Had the trailer weighed today . . .

Put roughly 2/3 of a tank of fresh water in it to mimic what we would most likely have in it - 1/3 tank fresh water and up to 1/3 of a tank each of gray and black water, the basement loaded with our usual stuff, fridge is empty, one full and one 1/2 full LP 40 lb. tanks, and the truck had me and a full tank (36 gallons) of gas in it.

Truck on the scale, trailer hitched up but not on the scale - 9220 lbs.
Truck and trailer front axle on the scale - 12,700 lbs.
Truck and trailer completely on the scale - 16,540 lbs.
Truck off of the scale, trailer hitched up and just the trailer's rear axle on the scale - 7520 lbs.
Trailer only unhitched from the truck on the scale - 9860 lbs.

I've done some math, but not sure I did the numbers right . . . maybe you guys can do it from these figures!

The Prowler has two 5080K axles, and if I did my math right I am well under the load for each axle.

What is the trucks GVW 9200?

JohnD

Had the trailer weighed last week . . .

Put roughly 2/3 of a tank of fresh water in it to mimic what we would most likely have in it - 1/3 tank fresh water and up to 1/3 of a tank each of gray and black water, the basement loaded with our usual stuff, fridge is empty, one full and one 1/2 full LP 40 lb. tanks, and the truck had me and a full tank (36 gallons) of gas in it.

Here are the numbers:

Truck off of the scale, trailer hitched up and just the trailer's rear axle on the scale - 7520 lbs.

I've done some math, but not sure I did the numbers right . . . maybe you guys can do it from these figures!

The Prowler has two 5080K axles, and if I did my math right I am well under the load for each axle.

Not sure why, but they didn't give me the weight of the whole trailer alone while still hitched up to the truck, and it is bugging me to the point of taking it back tomorrow and have the whole thing redone.

Plus, I want to get the weight on the rear axle while hitched to the truck, but that seems impossible unless I can find a local that has separate scales for each wheel, or somehow can garner that number from the numbers above.

Anyway . . . for you numbers gurus . . . what say you about these numbers?

Gaffer

Here is how to get your pin weight. Weigh the unloaded truck front axle, weigh the unloaded truck back axel. Hitch up the trailer. Weigh the truck front axle. Weigh the truck front and rear axel. Subtract the loaded front axle from the total loaded truck. That is the loaded rear. Subtract the unloaded rear from the loaded rear and you have your pin weight.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is my rig weights

Just the truck

febc3ddeee68ce530b48df329c84d859.jpg

Truck and trailer

d9d95563ec7017a6bc5a34137df74e93.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Did you go to the CAT Scales, they will have 3 or 4 platforms for you to place your rig on to get your weights, costs $10 or $11 bucks and for $1 you can go back for a reweigh with the truck, just unhook in the lot. Looks like your truck is over weight at 9220, If the GVW is 9200 and your rear trailer axle may be over too.

JohnD

The rear axle weight I'm trying to figure out is the rear axle of the trailer . . . not the truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, I moved all the replies from your previous posting about your weights to this thread.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

Simplified weighing except won't give each trailer axles weight.

Go to a CAT scale at a truck stop.
Pull on the scale, front tires on front pad, truck rear tires on second pad, and trailer tires on third pad. Once they say OK pull into the parking lot and un-hitch from the trailer. Drive back on the scale same as before but nothing on the third pad.

The first ticket will give front axle weight, rear axle weight, trailer axles weight, and the GCVW.
The second ticket will give the unloaded truck's front axle and rear axle weights as well as the GVW.

Take the rear axle weight from the first ticket and subtract the RAW from the second ticket, that gives the pin weight. Add that to the trailer axle weights and you have the trailer weight. A note if the front axle weight goes up (ideally) when weighing the entire rig how much it goes up is part of the trailer weight and should be added.

About the only way I know of to weigh the individual trailer axles is to hopefully be able to pull the truck completely off the scale and leave the front axle on the front pad and rear axle on the second pad. Never tried it but I'm sure someone has and will chime in.

When done look on the door post of YOUR vehicle. It will give F(ront)AWR, R(ear)AWR, G(ross)VWR, and GCVWR(everything). Compare to your numbers.

Jim.Allison

Had the trailer weighed last week . . .

Here are the numbers:

Not sure why, but they didn't give me the weight of the whole trailer alone while still hitched up to the truck, and it is bugging me to the point of taking it back tomorrow and have the whole thing redone.

Plus, I want to get the weight on the rear axle while hitched to the truck, but that seems impossible unless I can find a local that has separate scales for each wheel, or somehow can garner that number from the numbers above.

Anyway . . . for you numbers gurus . . . what say you about these numbers?

Truck and trailer combined 16540
Trailer weight only 9860
Tow vehicle only 6680
Tow vehicle in towing configuration 9220
Pin load 2540
Front trailer axle 3480
Rear trailer axle 3840

I interpolated this data from your data. However I cannot trust the towing configuration rear tandem load on that axle of 7520. Is it possible that both axles were on the scale? From the data, both axles add to 7320, but your data states 7520 on just the rear tandem.

JohnD

John, I moved all the replies from your previous posting about your weights to this thread.

Peace
Dave

I started the new thread as I wasn't getting any replies to the question . . . although now we have some discussion.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The rear axle weight I'm trying to figure out is the rear axle of the trailer . . . not the truck.
John your trailer axles are the 7520 lbs from your numbers above when hooked to the truck. The rest of your trailers weight is on your truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk