Hot Water Tank Tubing (out) Blew Off

Ornofrk

The hot water tank tubing on the rear of my tank (out) blew off at a campsite while it was full of hot water! Fortunately, most of the water flowed into the storage campartment rather then back under the interior of the RV before I could get the water supply turned off. It appeared that the pecs clamp was probably not secured at the factory when my 2011 Big Horn 3670 was built in 2010. After a couple of years of vibrations, etc., on the road, it came loose. I put the tube back on using a 1/2 inch screw clamp since I did not have a pecs tool. I checked with a fellow camper after I did this and he said that I should not use a screw clamp since they will eventually work loose. I then later checked with a local RV dealership in the area and they said that they use screw clamps all the time on pecs pipes and they never have problems with them coming loose. Do I need to get a pecs tool and replace the screw clamp with a pecs clamp? Has anyone else had similar experience regarding screw clamps vs. pecs clamps?

Jerry
2011 Big Horn 3670RL

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Two concerns I would have is the fact that the tube has already been crimped "I am assuming that you did not cut it back". And the second is that the hose clamps are not designed to compress PEX but ate designed for soft material.

Kevin

donr827

I was told by my mechanic not to use a regular hose clamp on pex tubing. There are fittings that you can buy from stores like Home Depot that will work without buying the tools. I believe they are called shark fittings. Somebody with more knowledge then me will chime in and help you.
Don

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
You did get then name correct but the fittings are 10x the cost of the standard fittings and the tool cost has come down so it is now only 30$ or so. Also since this is the connection to the water heater I do not believe that there is a shark bite fitting to replace that.

danemayer

If the line is PEX, rather than reinforced 1/2" hose, I doubt a hose clamp is strong enough to be reliable. I think there is a 90 degree swivel elbow female Sharkbite fitting, but it may be difficult to find in a local store. Here's one at Grainger.
While you're in there, you should replace the check valve in the hot water outlet with a brass fitting. You'll also need a close nipple.