How can I measure brake pad wear..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would like to check the break wear on both my trailer and truck. However, I really don't want to remove 8 tires to check how much pad I have left.

I went to an auto parts place to see if they have something that I use to measure the amount of pad remaining. Actully I don't know what the measurement of a new pad would be.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks
BC

porthole

Retired
Bob - rule of thumb for pads is when the pad thickness is equal to the backing plate it is time to change.
If your wheels are big enough you can usually see one of the leading edges through the caliper without taking the wheel off.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, your truck should have wear sensors built into the front pads. They will start to squeel when the pads are low. Dont know if you have rear discs or not. The fronts will wear out faster than the rears. The 5er is another story...you will have to pull at least 2 drums to see what you have left. Take you truck in for a tire rotation and ask them to check the brake lining. Go from there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Guys
I have disk brakes all around on the trailer and the truck.

rule of thumb for pads is when the pad thickness is equal to the backing plate it is time to change.
I will keep this in mind. Wish there was a tool that I could measure the pad..

How thick is the material on the pad. 1/4" 3/8" ??? That would help also.. I guess I can go to a parts store and measure a set.

BC

Last edited: