New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Woo Hoooo!!!!

Much accomplished today. My truck is now ridiculously long with a short wheelbase with 19' of new frame behind the rear tires LOL.

We spent about 3 or 4 hrs just fitting and aligning the new section using jacks, clamps, chain hoists, cherry picker, string, grinders, prybars, ratchet straps and a BFH.

Tacked on the run off plates and welded it up inside and out and got some of the finish grinding done getting it ready to fish plate.

Pretty happy with todays progress and the new rails look great. Can't get much straighter than this.

Even managed to feed George a slice of Pizza after work and get a few shots of me working this time so it doesn't look like I'm working my slave too hard.... Yea, I'm the fuzzy one that looks like Santa in camo.

IMG00470.jpg

IMG00471.jpg

IMG00472.jpg

IMG00473.jpg

IMG00475.jpg

IMG00477.jpg

pmmjarrett

Not too bad here today but the weather and hammering on the crossmembers is giving me bad headache. Got the old brackets stripped and swapped the axle crossmembers on the new section of frame. Was gonna ream the holes to 3/4" but I'm quitting for the day.

Found that Fleetpride in Raleigh is a distributor for Spicer and does custom Spicer drivelines in house. Had no problem getting through to talk to their machinist today, seems to share my ideas and know what he is talking about. Spicer components is what I want and that's where I'm going to take it. Hopefully have the truck drivable again next week. http://www.tweetys.com/

pmmjarrett

Do you ever have a day you feel like you got nowhere.

4 hrs and only managed to kill all 3 of my cordless drill batteries to ream twelve 5/8" holes to 3/4", drill out one stuck cotter pin (still have one to go, other 2 came out easy), remove 2 spring pins...... been pounding with a 4 lb sledge and a steel drift and PB blasting one for 3 hrs, won't budge, thankfully the other one with a stuck cotter pin moves free.

Letting the stuck spring pin soak in PB blaster overnight...... One way or the other it's coming out tomorrow.

Pins are going back together with anti sieze.

pmmjarrett

Much accomplished today.

Stuck spring pin came out with heat, PB Blaster and some TLC from a 4 lb sledge..... I dunno why George wanted to swing the hammer while I held the drift.

Got the rest of the holes reamed to 3/4" and bolted all the brackets into place and rolled the rear axle into place. Axle is pinned into place and have good measurements for the new driveshaft will be just over 20' long.

And I DID use antisieze on all of the spring pins.

Need to pickup some 3/4 grade 8 hardware to bolt in the old crossmembers in the original portion of the frame.

IMG00487.jpg

IMG00488.jpg

IMG00490.jpg

IMG00497.jpg

IMG00499.jpg

IMG00500.jpg

IMG00501.jpg

IMG00503.jpg

IMG00505.jpg

IMG00506.jpg

pmmjarrett

Now for the fun stuff.

Casualties today

1. - Hole Hawg ate my brand spanking new 1/2" Dewalt drill bit.... Thankfully on the last hole for the shock mounts.
IMG00495.jpg

2. - Yea George..... Yer da one dat didit.
IMG00496.jpg

3. - Light duty gantry gave up when we did something with it it wasn't designed to do....... lift the back of the truck frame OOPS.. well we were using the cherry picker too at the tail but evidently not enough.... Worked fine until HE decided it would be better to lift with both chains moved inboard... so I'll blame that on him too LOL. Nobody hurt, nothing but a wooden board broken.
IMG00489.jpg

jimtoo

I'm sure George was just looking out for the old guy. It's a lot easier to hold a 1 pound drift than it is to swing away with a 4 pound hammer. He was just doing the heavy manual labor. :D

Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress of your stretch job. Looks like your doing a beautiful piece of work. You might just be in the wrong business.

I assume the drive shaft will be in several pieces, suspended with carrier bearings and not just one 20' shaft.

Keep posting the pictures, your doing great work.:D

(Well you were till I saw the broken hoist frame. At least no one hurt.)

Jim M

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

I'm sure George was just looking out for the old guy. It's a lot easier to hold a 1 pound drift than it is to swing away with a 4 pound hammer. He was just doing the heavy manual labor. :D

Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress of your stretch job. Looks like your doing a beautiful piece of work. You might just be in the wrong business.

I assume the drive shaft will be in several pieces, suspended with carrier bearings and not just one 20' shaft.

Keep posting the pictures, your doing great work.:D

(Well you were till I saw the broken hoist frame. At least no one hurt.)

Jim M

OLD GUY! :mad: ....hail,HE'S the old guy w/ 7 or 8 years on me. Me, I'm just all busted up. No way I could wrench on trucks for a living anymore.

Driveshaft will be 4 piece with 3 carrier bearings. Hopefully get a chance to drop it off tomorrow morning.

Now the gantry was built for one thing, to lift the sleeper which only weighs a few hundred lbs. What happens when you leave a tempory structure in place, you forget what it is really capable of and eventually find it's limits.

Was trying to lift the frame at 3 points as we havn't put in the reinforcments on the butt splices yet....... How did that work...... Not too good. Ended up using the cherry picker to lift the entire back of the frame.

pmmjarrett

Dropped the driveshaft off today for stretch and rebuild and ordered new rear shocks. Shocks were $137..........

Driveshaft quote was $1200.00
eek.gif
Kick.gif
Should be able to pick up both on wednesday. Kinda expected the new driveshaft was gonna run between $1000-$1500

Other than that, been baby sitting and playing video games all day so no work done on the truck.

pmmjarrett

Was 60F today so I painted the doors for the sleeper, did a lot of planning for the bed and beavertail cuts and took care of a few odds and ends like replacing the 7/16" grade 8 spring pin bolt I broke with my impact the other day while George was supervising...... Hey, it's the supervisors fault when somebody else breaks something so I'll blame him fer that too. LOL

I'm changing the plans slightly to build the bed out to nearly 28' for the maximum allowed length of 40' for the truck. This will allow up to a 32' trailer on the bed with the 4' max overhang and be able to tow up to 31-32' when using the stinger extended for a maximum overall combination length of 75'

Basicly I'll be able to handle up to a couple of 28 series Northtrail, 280 series Sundance X or 27 series North Country travel trailers maxed out.

Forcast looks good this week so hopefully I'll get much done.

Doors painted
IMG00509.jpg

Inside of vents sprayed flat black
IMG00512.jpg

New spring pin retaining bolt..... Yep the frame needs a good cleaning before paint.
IMG00511.jpg

irvin56

Thanks for the info

Looks like it's coming together okay.
hope you have a great time driving the beast when you get it done.
Sounds like a lot of work for you guys, but you will know everything about it.
Better then buying off lot and wondering

pmmjarrett

Looks like it's coming together okay.
hope you have a great time driving the beast when you get it done.
Sounds like a lot of work for you guys, but you will know everything about it.
Better then buying off lot and wondering

Yep, going pretty smooth albeit slowly.... Slow is smooth and smooth is fast LOL. I get plenty of seat time at 150,000 miles a year gotta make it comfy too.

It's a lot of work but this type of specialty truck can't be bought off a lot, they have to be built by yourself or hire everything out or find a used one and they are very scarce. I have until January to finish it.,which is the start of the peak season for shipping RV when the manufacturers crank up the factories after the holidays. If you went new and had one built you'ld easily be looking at an $85,000+ rig and a $2000 a month payment if you financed it.

Medium duty truck $60,000
Wheelbase modification $4000
Sleeper installed $7000
Tow/Haul Bed and equipment $14,000

Not the kind of rig to run in this economy. I am into mine for under $6000 right now and should be able to finish it up for about another $4000 - $5000.......... And it's paid for:D, no worries if it is parked because of slow freight.;)

dewwood

Just curious about something, are you considering a way to put a 5th wheel hitch on the truck so your second unit could be a fiver? Maybe it is not feasable but would add more options. I realize it would have to be removeable for loading the front trailer. Just thinking about it as I follow your thread.

Looks like you are making good progress, keep the updates coming.

pmmjarrett

Just curious about something, are you considering a way to put a 5th wheel hitch on the truck so your second unit could be a fiver? Maybe it is not feasable but would add more options. I realize it would have to be removeable for loading the front trailer. Just thinking about it as I follow your thread.

Looks like you are making good progress, keep the updates coming.

Yes, just not sure if I want to mount one on the 12' of overhang from the rear axle considering the tounge weight of fifth wheels. I do have a spare Putnam Firehawk II 23k fifth wheel and gooseneck that I am trying to figure out how to use... Mo Trailers does make a turn over fifth wheel for this application.

Moving forward.

Put the weather stripping and doors on the sleeper and lubed all of the locks and latches with white lithium grease while I was at it.
IMG00516.jpg

IMG00514.jpg

Marked and cut the frame for the drop frame section of the beavertail. I still have to align the frame sections exactly where I want them but it's pretty close right now.
IMG00518.jpg

IMG00528.jpg

IMG00533.jpg

IMG00537.jpg

IMG00534.jpg

Today's casualty. I smoked my freebie 4-1/2" grinder LOL. Boy did the smoke roll, thought it was on fire, I never smoked an electric motor this bad before. oh well, it came free with something I bought a year or 2 ago and I have abused it pretty badly so no big loss. Here's her "retirement" pic.
IMG00521.jpg

And her replacement. A 10 amp Dewalt that set the budget back a Benjamin.
IMG00531.jpg

snuffy

I, too, had one of the cheapie grinders and burned up the brushes in it. Got a similar Dewalt and it's a beast. Beware of the cheap Chinese discs though. I was grinding some concrete and had one come apart. Talk about scary. Thank God for that blade guard. So now I only use the Norton or Dewalt brand discs.

pmmjarrett

The way the grinder went up in smoke was rather spectacular LOL. No warning either, just siezed and "POOF" huge cloud of smoke.

I find the Norton discs last longer than the Dewalt discs, problem is the 3 hr round trip ride to get the Norton discs as I live in the middle of nowhere. The Harbor Freight 4-1/2" metal cutting discs I have had great luck with and never had one explode.

Blade Guards I usually remove because they are always in the way, I know it ain't a smart move. Plan to leave the one on the new Dewalt grinder as it's easy to reposition unlike the cheap grinders.

Also when I am cutting or grinding I use a full face welding helmet with a clear lens. Many years ago I was rushed to the emergency room after getting hit in the eye with a red hot grinding spark.... Yep I had safety goggles on too and it made it through a vent hole just right, embedded itself and scratched my cornea. Not fun, hurt like a somanabeach.