New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
LOL, :D

I've barely started adding metal. Still need another 750# of steel to build the bed, 200# for ramps...... Then add, winches, my toolbox, my aux tank, my gear and 191 gallons of liquid gold :eek:.

Truck should scale out about 12k - 13k empty, GVW is 26k, I think I'll actually run legal for once;)

snuffy

What's the insurance on this beast going to cost? In this down economy, will you be able to make a better living?

pmmjarrett

What's the insurance on this beast going to cost? In this down economy, will you be able to make a better living?

Comp, Collision and non trucking liability will run about $180 - $200 a month. Cargo insurance is provided by mt company, I'm responsible for the first $1000 in damages and that money is already in escrow.

As far as a living goes, I just do this to live beyond my pension which we can live on. Have the opprtunity now to get some of the finer things in life we've always wanted without breaking the budget.

I will have a higher proffit margin for only a slight increase in operating costs dragging 2 - 3 at a time instead of one at a time and be able to stay busier through the late summer and fall when freight only seems to run at the end of the month.

I only have my insurance costs, cell phone and air card bills that are extra to cover vs not having the business. The truck is paid for so if need be I can simply park it and weather the economy. I don't expect things to pick up until 2010 and I think this is a great time to work toward expanding / improving a business without losing revenue that simply isn't there right now.

The market is also moving toward smaller lighter units which the manufacturers don't want to ship one at a time. There are only a handfull of trucks like mine vs the thousands of pickups doing single tow so I think demand will be much higher for my tow haul.

CrazyScotsman

PMMj.
The Dodge 3500 that you have, it wouldn't be blue coloured by any chance!
If it is, were you running with 2 other rv haulers on Will Rogers turnpike a few weeks ago?. All pulling TT.
The one I saw was blue with decal on back fender Cummins 600 I think
Cheers Ken

pmmjarrett

PMMj.
The Dodge 3500 that you have, it wouldn't be blue coloured by any chance!
If it is, were you running with 2 other rv haulers on Will Rogers turnpike a few weeks ago?. All pulling TT.
The one I saw was blue with decal on back fender Cummins 600 I think
Cheers Ken

Nope, Silver this is my truck.... Esiest way to spot me in a crowd is the deer slayer up front and the TAZ mudflaps on all 4 corners.
IMG00133.jpg

IMG00077.jpg

CrazyScotsman

This was a blue truck. I got to see a helluva lot of the drivers side as I tried to pass it in my 62 mph Yellow freight truck.Nothing worse having a truck that will only do 62 on the flat, and get hung out in the hammer lane forever. I had one truck driver hold me out in left lane for 5 miles the other week, I would slow down, he slowed down, I speed up, he speed's up. What ever has happened to courtesy ?
Anyhoo your project is coming along.
Safe travels. Ken

pmmjarrett

That's one thing I won't do to another driver in a governed truck. I've been in your shoes.

Me I like to set the cruise between 58 and 63 and when I end up in a drag race with one of those dragnfly's, I'll bump the cruise up or down a couple notches to change my speed until there is a little distance between us then go back to business as usual.

Stay safe. Mike

pmmjarrett

Busy day today. Cleaned up the shop a bit and had a customer over that bought some stuff from me on Evilbay, then he bought even more stuff that he saw and liked.... Hate when that happens.

Finished welding up the left bumper.
IMG00695.jpg

Squared it up and welded it to the frame.
IMG00704.jpg

Had to see what the lights looked like in it.
IMG00707.jpg

Here's a good look at the channel for the pin on ramps.
IMG00711.jpg

Got the right side tacked up. Will finish it up tomorrow after I get back from Northern Tool to pick up 10 more lbs of welding rod.
IMG00714.jpg

CrazyScotsman

It's slowly but surely taking shape. Good work, just wish I could do things like that. I just inherited a metal lathe that was my dad in laws. I have no idea what to do with it.
Anyhoo it's coming along. I'll look for it on the road when it's done.
cheers Ken

pmmjarrett

Ya Ken, it's actually starting to look like a truck again instead of some Frankenstein Redneck contraption.

Had to make a pit stop at Northern Tool and get 10 more lbs of welding rod today.... Took Mama with me and she talked me into finally spending a little on a new welding hood. They had these automatic darkening hoods with shift on the fly 9-13 shade lenses on sale for $45. WOW what a difference it makes in productivity and being able to see what you are doing. Now the old hood is permanently designated a full face grinding shield...... Could have done without the cheesy flame graphis though.
IMG00720.jpg

Got the right side tail light / bumper assembly welded up.
IMG00719.jpg

Ground down.
IMG00724.jpg

And welded on.
IMG00729.jpg

Started work on the stinger receiver. Drilled 7/8" hole for the grade 8 7/8" pin.
IMG00733.jpg

IMG00737.jpg

Cut the 4" channel to length
IMG00739.jpg

Made the holes for the 7 way RV plug
IMG00740.jpg

IMG00744.jpg

CrazyScotsman

Just think how cool you'll look wearing your "Pimped" out welding hood, you'll fit right in with the NASCAR crowd. LOL
When you get all the chicken lights on that truck, you'll be looking like Johnny Big rigger LOL.

pmmjarrett

As a straight truck I'd have to name it " Chicken Hawk" LOL.

Mabey I should paint this on the sides of the hood
hawk001.jpg

And put this one on the back of the sleeper
hawk031.jpg

At least it won't look like I'm........

Just Beginning Holdining Up Nationwide Traffic

or a

Slow Wagon In Fast Traffic

None

Wonder how many lights I can get on that hamburger press

CrazyScotsman

SWIFT.. Sure wish I finished training.
DIGBY.. Did I go broke yet
DIGBY backwards ..yes by god I did

What colour are you painting the cab and sleeper ?

pmmjarrett

SWIFT.. Sure wish I finished training.
DIGBY.. Did I go broke yet
DIGBY backwards ..yes by god I did

What colour are you painting the cab and sleeper ?

LOL

It's already done, white. Cab had fresh paint when I bought it and I painted the sleeper to match 2 months ago here's the post

pmmjarrett

LOL I'll try to leave some paint on yer doors when I take it for a walk in the Monfort lane.None

OK, I gotta break out the airbrush now, been itching to do some custom paintwork on something. The more I think about it the more I like it. Foghorn Leghorn was always my favorite cartoon character and my white canvas is perfect for those pics. Gonna have to play with photoshop in a little bit.

Got the 3-1/2" stinger receiver welded up.
IMG00747.jpg

IMG00749.jpg

IMG00752.jpg

Made the bracket for the safety chains.
IMG00755.jpg

IMG00757.jpg

Welded the stinger receiver into place and started to put the new flanges on the beavertail portion of the frame.
IMG00760.jpg

IMG00766.jpg