Onstar or not?

wyleyrabbit

As I write this, I am waffling on renewing my GM Onstar subscription. My truck came with a 1 year subscription and it ran out a few months ago. That said, I'm considering renewing it, but am interested to know what others have done.

Like many other things, as a Canadian, I'm forced to pay more for the same goods or services even when the differences in currency are taken in to account. Even though our dollar is very close to parity with the US dollar, we're often forced to pay a 33% premium on various things. This obviously drives me a bit crazy.

My renewal rate for the basic Onstar package would be CAD$198 for 14 months, which is just over $14 per month. This rate is only available through the "customer retention department" and is much cheaper than the $24.95/mo plan on their website.

Most of the features that Onstar advertises are of little value to me. The only ones I think are really any potential value are:

1. Roadside assistance. Apparently the Onstar subscription includes basic roadside assistance, which covers everything from tire changes, tows, to enough fuel to get you to the next gas station if you run out (you have to pay for the fuel, but the service is free). Given that I have a "dually" I understand that it's impossible for me to change a flat on my rear axel without the special tools and training. I don't get many flats (knock on wood) but can see this being potentially important. The roadside assistance doesn't cover the trailer in tow, and there is no option to add that on.
  2. Automatic crash response. Hmmm. This is one of those things I hope I'd never need, but if I ever did, I'd be glad I had it. If the truck is in a bad accident, then the computer notifies Onstar of not only my GPS coordinates, but also specifics of the accident (airbags deployed, rollover?, and other attributes of the accident).
  3. Onstar vehicle diagnostics. Basically, the same information that the truck's computer puts out when an onboard diagnostics system is plugged in, but available either as an email, or can be queried on request (hit onstar button, talk nicely to rep and explain going on a trip, and they'll scan the computer for any sign of trouble). That said, the truck is pretty verbose about it's health status anyways, so I'm not sure how much extra info is available here that the truck's computer wouldn't complain about anyways. Also, Onstar emails basic diagnostics on a monthly basis.
  4. Stolen vehicle assistance. Hmmm. Another feature I hope to never need. As I understand it, if the vehicle is stolen by a stupid thief (is that redundant?) then the police can have Onstar locate the vehicle via it's GPS and if necessary slow it down. If the thief is smart, he would disconnect the little shark fin antenna on the roof first thereby disabling the whole system.
So? What does everyone else do that has a GM? Or, for those driving Ford or Dodge, do you pay for roadside assistance separately?

Cheers,
Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have it on both vehicles and keep it current. Sign up for automatic credit card payments and you don't have to worry about missing a payment. I don't use the routing, phone or concierge features, though. I had the unfortunate opportunity to use the crash response feature in my last truck when I schmucked a giant brown rat (some people call them does) early one morning on the freeway at 75 mph. I wasn't hurt, but OnStar was on the horn and had help on the way before I fully realized what had just happened. She was concerned about my condition, based on my voice response, until I told her I was gagging on the residue of both front airbags that had deployed.

PUG

Pug
I had in on an 02 Chev pickup but let the subscription expire. They advertised that it was satellite based and they could open doors, door crash response, etc. etc. anywhere. I found out the hardway after locking myself out of my pickup with it running and the heater on with my two dogs in it. After calling Onstar several times trying to get the doors unlocked unsuccessfully I ended up making some wedges and using a wire to open the doors. I subsequently talked to a supervisor and after much searching she found out it "was not satellite based" but cell phone based. Their own people didn't know it. Needless to say if you are in cell coverage areas, the system will work but if you aren't it isn't worth a hoot. To make matters worse, a few years later they announced that the previously installed analog systems would no longer work and their was no upgrade or fix to make them work. Our new truck has hands free cell phone as I am sure yours does and we carry two cell phones so other than the crash assistance what good is it?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I am like PUG with an '02 GMC with expired service. I went to a seminar on Onstar and was told that it couldn't do the cool things that a new truck will do, so I don't plan on it. If I buy new, I won't renew either. I have two cell phones, a CB radio for communications, travel mostly on Interstate highways, have Good Sam road service, so I see no reason for Onstar. JMHO

porthole

Retired
Had it for the year, bought the extra minutes available as a special one time only deal (and never used them).

Onstar had an alliance with Horizon to share minutes, which I thought was good, but I didn't have Verizon at the time.

Never renewed it and personally I would rather not be "forced" to have bought the "at the time $1200" option.

I would be curious if there have been any lawsuits yet for an Onstar equipped device that was involved in a serious MVA and the system did not notify the locals that the air bags were deployed.

For a forced option I would be a little more willing to have it, provided that A/B deployment was standard, annual fee paid or not.

RollingHome

I have On-Star, came with the truck. I am not going to renew it because I have cell phone/s. I also have AAA and they will change a flat on my RV or the dually. It also is very reasonable cost $$$ wise, compared to On-Star. If On-Star would price their service better I'm sure many more owners would subscribe. I mean, come on, ya can only use it when your in one specific vehicle. I can use my cell phone anywhere, anytime, in movies, in doctors waiting rooms, in restaurants, in church, driving at hiway speeds... Anywhere when I want let everyone around me know I'm rude and have no manners. Tom

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have never renewed my on-star. Too expensive for phone service and do not need the turn by turn nav. I have used them to unlock my truck a few times until I got the logic-lock fixed.
I am now in the habit of taking my keys out of the truck so I really dont see the need for it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have had On-Star. didnt renew last time. Like other posters stated...getting toooo expensive. Did like the 100 minutes for $30.00 though. Up side was that On-Star is verizon. Never, ever had a problem getting a phone call thru to anyone from anywhere in the US. As to the Op's with GM vehicles older than 2005, they were not digital...hence no satelite service. All the new ones are digital so now there is not any interrupion of service in any areas.

tmcran

Had very good luck with On-star. My wife had her car unlocked twice. Once late at night and had her car open in about three minutes after she placed the call. We were on a trip last year and got in a very bad storm.Sprint service was out was able to get out an emergency call via On-star. Grand daughter was in a serious auto accident when her uncle ran stop sign. He was injured and due to air bag deployment On-star located them and sent EMT's So IMO worth every cent. Keep it on both car and truck.

beasleyrl

Wyleyrabbit- After reading your post, I asked my wife to call Onstar and tell them we were thinking about canceling our service and see what they said. We were paying $18.95 per month for the basic service. It took all of about 2 seconds and amazingly enough, they have a promotion running now to help people in this economy. The promotion is for $12.95 per month for a year. Sold! The only catch is at the end of the year, the rate will automatically adjust back to $18.95. Their suggestion is to call back in and see if the promotion is still running at that time. The contract also remains month to month so there doesn't appear to be any downside to changing the rate. You just saved us $72 by making a 5 minute phone call. Thanks! Roger

Willym

Chris,

Regarding changing a tyre on a dually. I dont think that the GM is any different than my Dodge. Changing a rear tyre is no harder on a dually. If you can do it on a regular truck, then you can do it on a dually, just have to handle a couple of rims instead of one.

RollingHome

Bill, changing a dually, we are old farts and not able to wrangle a tire from the inside to the outside... Besides, for $125.00 a year some young buck will do it for us... When you get our age you too will "allow" some young stud to show his prowness and change it for ya... comon dude, cut us some slack :). Otherwise, give us your cell # so we can call ya to "help us out"...

wyleyrabbit

One detail that should be clarified to everyone is that Onstar is not a satellite phone service...it just uses Verizon's digital cell phone service in the USA, or Bell's in Canada. I'm amazed at how many people misunderstand this aspect of their system, including TV shows (most recently observed in the TV show "Human Target" where a key plot point was the satellite phone built into the GM vehicle), and I can understand why it's misleading.

I suppose for me it's a case of "Should I get Onstar" or "Should I get a roadside assistance package through someone else, such as Good Sam Club"?

I hope to never need the automated crash response, so this might have infinite value or no value. Same for the stolen vehicle location service.

Chris

Duramax1

Wyleyrabbit... I would also like to thank you for saving me some money. I must say however that it was a much longer phone call than two seconds and I must have been transferred to about three different people after being told that OnStar does not have a customer retention department.

DeanWag

After shopping auto/trailer insurance Geico was the most cost effective for us. It includes road side assistance.

tmcran

Wyleyrabbit... I would also like to thank you for saving me some money. I must say however that it was a much longer phone call than two seconds and I must have been transferred to about three different people after being told that OnStar does not have a customer retention department.

I also called OS and told them I had it on 2 autos and was thinking of dropping one of them. I was transferred to a lady that was very helpful. She said I was a loyal costumer and was eligible for a discount. Like Wyley got it reduced to 12.xx per month with yearly program saved about 50 + dollars.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
TC and others, everytime I renew my XM radio....I just grind on them and they drop the price. They will do the same with OS. I just recieved a "FREE" 3 months of OS because I purchased another TV. Works for me. My only grip (have to be nice..JB is watching) is that I have to talk to someone that doesn't speak english (india I think). Lack of communication is rapant.