Out of Stroke

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Although some out there my prefer that ... Keep them high and lug around blocks of wood. Some my say it's more stable that way.
NOT ME !!!!
I prefer to back into my spot, unhook, and push the button. "And watch the magic happen with a big smile on my face.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I'm not "keeping them high" I use the blocks so the back jacks will level the rig. My back jacks are not just behind the wheels, they are at the rear to support it when toys are loaded an unloaded. Different setup than yours. On a level pad my rear jacks are almost extended all the way. On an unlevel pad they need help to level the rig. The jacks are mounted high to keep them from dragging.

RVFun4Us

Not necessarily mounted high. My RV parking area is on a slight down slope. So when the front landing jacks are down, the rear of the coach is much higher off the ground. If I was on level ground, I would have no problem. In fact, the last RV park we were at, everything worked fine. When I get my snap pads installed, I will gain a little there but will still need to block under all four leveling jacks up to the 15" max extension of the jacks at the very least. I might also try to raise the level of the parking area in those areas to help. How do you like your snap pads?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Love my snap pads ...
Yes unlevel ground changes everything. But on a somewhat level site, the jacks should be able to level the trailer without blocks.. My friends Big Horn would not.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm not "keeping them high" I use the blocks so the back jacks will level the rig. My back jacks are not just behind the wheels, they are at the rear to support it when toys are loaded an unloaded. Different setup than yours. On a level pad my rear jacks are almost extended all the way. On an unlevel pad they need help to level the rig. The jacks are mounted high to keep them from dragging.
Ya your is a different story with the toybox they are way back there and have to be high to keep from dragging them. Understood..... I've been thinking Big Horn and Landmark in my head.

RVFun4Us

So after finding out the length of the levelers when deployed, I was able to build up the area with extra gravel on the doorside rear leveler where the greatest gap was between the ground and the leveler. Also a little more under the middle levelers and I was good. Did the auto leveling and it came out perfect. Just to be sure on the level, I took my 3 foot level inside and everything was good. I don't anticipate issues in most RV parks so my challenge was just at my house. But just in case, I will carry an 11X14" wood block that is 3 1/2" thick. I also carry the interlocking plastic blocks. Once I get the snap pads installed, that will reduce the gap even further. At about 14-15 inches on all levelers now.

jbeletti

Thanks for the follow-up Bob!

I am in more campgrounds than most people are in a given year and maybe once every couple of years do I ever get a site where I can't auto-level with LevelUp. I have snap Pads on all 6 jacks. That helps me maybe 3/4" at most - but I love the stability of them on all surfaces.

I do continue to carry my Hoss Pads (3/4" thick compressed rubber squares) and the yellow plastic Lego-style blocks - all "just in case" :)

RVFun4Us

Thanks Jim. I might look at getting some Hoss Pads. Think they are available at CW. Sure beats bringing along wood blocks. I know you travel a lot so if you have only had a problem with leveling very sporadically then I should not have many problems. I think most RV Parks have pretty level spots but if you get into state parks, that is another whole story. Agree to always be prepared.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks Jim. I might look at getting some Hoss Pads. Think they are available at CW. Sure beats bringing along wood blocks. I know you travel a lot so if you have only had a problem with leveling very sporadically then I should not have many problems. I think most RV Parks have pretty level spots but if you get into state parks, that is another whole story. Agree to always be prepared.

How high off the ground are your center pads with them all the way up, sitting on level ground ?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Doesn't leave you much to work with does it ??
Hooked to the truck on my level pad on the side of my house right now I'm at 10" on all 6 pads (with Snap-pads installed) so that gives me 5 inches of travel after they hit the ground.
So far have never had an issue leveling it with the push of the button.
"No blocks"
536866cd6ab9fa9cd3d62367b9f7bd7b.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm going to help a friend lower his 4 rear level-up jacks on his brand new Big Horn tomorrow.
I think we're going to drop it 3 holes. He also received his new Snap-pads so maybe we'll drill the holes and install them to.
I had to go searching for this old thread and finally found it.
I'll try to post before and after pictures.

RVFun4Us

Jerrod,

My only concern with dropping three holes would be ground clearance, especially when on uneven ground or pulling/backing up a slope.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I don't foresee any issues what so ever. Mine are all sitting at 10" off the ground and his are at 14" I think. I will make sure the clearance on the rear jacks are high enough to never worry about hitting them. Using a straight line from the bottom of the rear tires to the bottom of the rear of the coach.
Also on his 36' rig the rear jacks are a lot closer to the axles then they are on my 41' rig.

Last edited:

RVFun4Us

Jim: Did you lower your four rear level-up jacks after receiving your new rig? Since you have had few problems with out of stroke, was wondering if that was because you adjusted your jacks. The factory mounted the jacks with the ability to drop three holes, at least on my rig. So I was wondering since it looks like dropping the jacks three holes would still give ample clearance based on the bottom of the tire like Jerrod mentioned whether there would be any drawbacks to dropping them. And why does the factory install these jacks at this set location? There might be a reason.
Thanks for the follow-up Bob!

I am in more campgrounds than most people are in a given year and maybe once every couple of years do I ever get a site where I can't auto-level with LevelUp. I have snap Pads on all 6 jacks. That helps me maybe 3/4" at most - but I love the stability of them on all surfaces.

I do continue to carry my Hoss Pads (3/4" thick compressed rubber squares) and the yellow plastic Lego-style blocks - all "just in case" :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Update
We dropped his 4 rear Jack down 2 hole's. Went from 13.75" to about 11.5 then after installing the new Snap-pads put them at about 10.5 off the ground. That's what mine are set at. We were going to drop 3 holes on the center jacks but decided to set them both the same so they would match. After we were done and hit the auto level button, the system finished doing it's magic. Sitting in his sloped driveway the center jacks were at 14.5" of stroke, so only another .5" left to travel.
He might decide to drop them down more if he runs into any "out of stock" issues.
By the way this took about 20 minutes to drop the legs and another 10 or 20 to drill the SnapPad's and install them.
02fd78475ca0dfbadd430f5582e972e8.jpg
ee43bed6069932f9865e08af18c78917.jpg
8da24ed1e3490232217ed333c018ff05.jpg

As for the rear jacks, I ran the string from the bottom of the rear tire and had 8" of clearance, now he still has 6" so nothing to ever worry about there

adbd46fbb56f99e16cc23ecfe08231c0.jpg

Drilled 6 holes in his brand new Snap-pads and installed them all. I think he's a happy camper now
1b50e827cafc761a4359b6a5d0d7d30a.jpg

Hale to the chief El-Chucko .