REPLACED: Anderson 4-way Valve

pcardoza

My Anderson valve has failed. Verified by a tech from my dealer. They have ordered one and HOPEFULLY, it'll be here and installed today. We are closing up for the season tomorrow and need to winterize before we go.

As is, the water pump is sucking as much air as water through and I could barely get through a shower this morning. We are using on-board water as the CG water is off for the winter now.

So my question.......... If the new valve does not arrive today, is there a way for me to still winterize with the bad valve? It seems that if I set the Anderson valve to winterize, it will suck as much antifreeeze into the FW tank as it will push through the lines, along with some amount of air.

I have a washer installed so must use antifreeze. Blowing out alone will not work for me. Hopefully it'll all be fixed by day's end, but I need to be prepared for the worst.

BTW, the tech did verify that it is the valve and not the water pump check-valve that failed.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

jbeletti

Re: Anderson 4-way Valve Failure

Wondering if you can remove the line from the back of the Anderson valve that is the input feed to the pump. Should be able to follow it from the back side. Then use that line (with the pump on) to draw from an antifreeze bottle. You'll likely need to extend it to reach.

pcardoza

Yeah, I was thinking about that as an option. Tight quarters in there to be struggling with it. If that valve doesn't show, my next idea is to try and press the dealer to have his tech come out and winterize it for me. That way I'm sure to not muck anything up and cause warranty issues. We just took delivery of the new unit in May........

Cyclone 4100 King

MTPockets

I had to repair my valve which I did by installing a new valve cartridge. Heartland wouldn't sell the part, just the whole assembly, but I did get the valve cartridge from an Anderson distributor. Now, when I replaced the valve assembly, I accidentally put it in 180 degrees from normal. What that did was to divert the water opposite from the labels on the face of the assembly. This may work for you so the water is diverted thru a different valve port. What was wrong with mine was a bad O'ring. You can get these from Lowes or Ace. To remove that valve cartridge, the first thing is to remove the handle, then a small Allen screw that is screwed into the cartridge threads, once you get that out, remove the nut on the cartridge face and pull it out. You'll see the Orings. When you put it back, coat the assy with a food grade lube.

pcardoza

Great info!!!! If the worst happens, that'll be my job in the morning. Hopefully, it'll be as simple as an o-ring.

Thanks again!

danemayer

I have a washer installed so must use antifreeze. Blowing out alone will not work for me.

I think you can use compressed air to blow all the air out of the lines and internal parts of the washing machine. Then pour antifreeze into the drum and use the drain cycle to pump the antifreeze through the drain pump, etc. I don't think the washing machine knows the difference between water and air. More detail in our Winterizing Guide.

Of course, if the air leak is at the 4-way valve, then it might be difficult to get sufficient air pressure into the water system.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I think you can use compressed air to blow all the air out of the lines and internal parts of the washing machine. Then pour antifreeze into the drum and use the drain cycle to pump the antifreeze through the drain pump, etc. I don't think the washing machine knows the difference between water and air. More detail in our Winterizing Guide.

Of course, if the air leak is at the 4-way valve, then it might be difficult to get sufficient air pressure into the water system.

Using air pressure might work if they disconnect the water lines for the machine from the valves, and connect the air supply to each one separately to blow them out. Follow the full winterizing process for the machine using air pressure. The machine may have to be ON in order for the inlet valves to open. They should hear air hissing at the soap dispenser tray, which will indicate that the water distributor assembly has been cleared. Then pouring antifreeze into the drum and following the instructions for that will take care of the pump.

When my machine sprung a leak from incorrect winterization, it was the plastic distribution assembly that went. I had poured antifreeze into the drum and cycled it, but didn't do the full procedure. Expensive laziness between replacing it, adding a drain pan, and a warped overhang cover.

pcardoza

Fortunately the valve arrived and was replaced by the dealer on site. All is well and the rig is winterized properly.

Thanks to all who weighed in with help!

happykraut

My old worn out hands didn't have the strength to turn the Anderson valve. Anderson has redesigned the valve cartridge to make it less likely to bind up. Call 1-800-476-9876 and ask for Ron. He will send you a new cartridge free of charge. I just installed mine this afternoon and it works great now.

jbeletti

My old worn out hands didn't have the strength to turn the Anderson valve. Anderson has redesigned the valve cartridge to make it less likely to bind up. Call 1-800-476-9876 and ask for Ron. He will send you a new cartridge free of charge. I just installed mine this afternoon and it works great now.

Happy to hear this worked out for you Bernie. Sorry I wasn't there to swap it out for you. See you down the road my friend.