side to side leveling

taggar

We are first time 5th wheel owners of a 2012 Bighorn ti32. We're on our first trip and learning lots! One thing we can't figure out how to do is level the trailer side to side. We have the landing gear in the front that come down at the same time. Is there a way to turn off one side?

Unfortunately, we had a terrible orientation so although this may seem a simple question, I appreciate any help.

Sheri

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Sheri and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here.
The front landing gear on your Bighorn is hydraulic and there is no need to worry about one side or the other. The hydraulics will take care of that.
What you do need to do is level your rig side to side at the axles. You would do this by adding plywood or 2x's under the tires to raise the low side. You would need a level placed on the floor to do this. Once you have established level you can stick some cheap stick on levels to the side for future reference. These can be purchased at Wal Mart.
Once side to side is level, use the front landing gear to level front to rear.

Peace
Dave

taggar

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave. So, what if we only need to adjust a little bit? Is it possible to lock one side of the landing gear jacks?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When adding wood under the tires, be sure that the entire footprint of the tire is on the wood. Not good if it's hanging over the edge for extended periods. I'd suggest wood no less than 8" wide, 10" or 12" is better by 16" long to get a good seat under the tires. Chock the tires on the opposite side. You can buy sets of plastic leveler blocks, but they can be a pain to get lined up and stacked the right height. Wood is also cheaper.

jnbhobe

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave. So, what if we only need to adjust a little bit? Is it possible to lock one side of the landing gear jacks?

NO!! That isn't what they are make for. The front jacks are self leveling and are to assist in hitching up and unhitching and leveling front to rear only.

JohnDar

Unless you have a four or six jack hydraulic system, or something like the Rieco-Titan Ground Control four (independent) electric jack system, you cannot manipulate the front jacks or rear stabilizers to level side to side. You're stuck with lumber or leveling blocks. There are DIY sites for folks that have also made air bags out of old fire hose (LDH) to put under their tires.

hoefler

We use the Lynx leveling blocks that you can purchase at Walmart for $30 a set, cheaper than any RV dealer. They stack nicely for storage and take up less space than wood and weigh less. I carry a 6' 2 x 8 to stack them when we are on gravel, this keeps them from getting buggered up and allows them to be stacked easier. Short wood will tend to split on uneven surfaces, when stacking very high, wood will tend to slip out, especially when they are wet. I like the Lynx blocks better, they lock together when stacked with a staggered pattern.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Once you get the trailer level side-to-side, using wood leveling blocks or whatever, then put down the landing gear...they will hit one leg first then the other and will level themselves. The key is getting the trailer level, side-to-side, BEFORE you remove it from the truck...

skyguy

Right after purchasing our 2010, I made a trip to the local lumber yard and picked up two items
1. A 4 X 6 X 4' post, which I cut into 2 - 6" lengths, 2 - 10 inch lengths, and 2 - 8" pieces. Used some cheap rope, cut pieces and stapled "rope handles" on each piece. Our previous SOB, the feet on the front jacks had rounded up from sitting on sand or dirt. I use a block under each leg front and back now. I ALWAYS make sure I have placed my chocks between the tires before raising the Bighorn off the truck!!
2. A 2 X 10 X 8' board, which I cut in half, on a 45 degree cut, so I have two four foot pieces with a beveled end, These serve as my side to side leveling tools.

You can use regular or treated wood. The two leveling boards ride flat in the bed of the pickup, and the two blocks for the front jacks also ride there when we travel.

Al S.

JohnDar

Since we're now talking about jack pads, these are what I use under the front and rear Ground Control jacks, along with the rear stabilizers.