Tire replacement or upgrade?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, we will be needing new tires soon. Have approx 10k on these and due to issues, we now have 4 with treadwear on the inside edges. We are in process of upgrading the running gear to Dexter 7k.

So, I'm looking at tires, and have read everything I can about the options. Dry weight on sticker is 11420. The GVWR of the ElkRidge is 14k. My wheels are 80psi max, 3580lb max load. My choices due to the wheels are:

Maxxis (3420lb max load)
Goodyear Marathon (3420lb max load)
TowMax STR (3520lb max load) OE
Hercules STR (3520lb max load)

Ruled out Michelin XPS Ribs, due to size... We don't have much clearance within the wheellwell, and they are not recommended for use in temps close to freezing, snow or ice... Well, we like to take our trailer to go skiing, so that rules them out.

Figuring I'm probably close to GVWR, I'm leary of going with less max-load rated tires. We vacation/travel about 6-8 times a year, with distances up to 1500 miles away. Often driving 500-700 miles in a day.

What would you recommend, from these choices? I don't have funds to go wild and upgrade the wheels to get GY 614s (110psi max) at this time.

E

Last edited:

Gaffer

Get your trailer to the scales and see what your loaded weight is on the trailer axels. FYou wil likely find that the E rated tires give you plenty of reserve capacity. If so the Maxxis is the only way to go of the tires on your list.

DougS

Doug S
My vote is for Maxxis. While traveling with my last 5th wheel, SOB, I had to replace tires. First tire was a Maxxis, all I could find. I then had to replace 3 more tires with Goodyears. Long story short, Goodyears were again replaced, Maxxis tire stayed on the RV.

lwmcguir

Have to agree with the Maxis, if you are going with Goodyear you need to get into the 14 ply (or better) or in my experience you will throw tread.

caissiel

The michelin XPS has been manufactured in Novas Scotia for the past 40years. And we get temperatures above Freezing 2 month in the year. They are very popular here as every truck has those on as replacements for the OEM's.

TravelTiger

The michelin XPS has been manufactured in Novas Scotia for the past 40years. And we get temperatures above Freezing 2 month in the year. They are very popular here as every truck has those on as replacements for the OEM's.

Hmmmm, maybe that is a different tire than what is available here? Here is the description I find for Michelin XPS Ribs: Highway Rib Summer light truck tires are for drivers who want a combination of heavy-duty load capacity, even wear and low noise along with traction on dry and wet roads. Sometimes used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on medium and heavy-duty 2WD trucks, vans and pickups, Highway Rib Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

This description, the LT rating, and the size not matching my current tires, ruled them out for me, as we like to take the 5ver to go skiing (which means below freezing temps, snow and ice might be encountered.)

E

TravelTiger

Just got the rig back from service, and noticed one of the TowMax tires looked bigger than the others!?! Sure enough, it looks like a large bulge has developed on the tread, half-way around the tire, stretching the sidewall and putting a large gap between the tread lines. We have had issues with these TowMax tires, and this is the spare that only has about 2000 miles on it. Called my local tire dealer today, and ordered 5 new Maxxis tires.
IMG_6055.jpgIMG_6068.jpg

jimtoo

Hi Tony and Erika,

When you replace the TowMax keep the tires, and call Tredit Tires. They were really good to me and I understand they work with everyone good. They will want the tires back and they paid the freight.

Jim M

57chevyconvt

Same experience with TowMax tires after 3000 miles, ugraded to GY G-614 tires. Like Jim noted Tredit Tire worked with me on replacement cost of TowMax tires.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Hi Tony and Erika,

When you replace the TowMax keep the tires, and call Tredit Tires. They were really good to me and I understand they work with everyone good. They will want the tires back and they paid the freight.

Jim M

Jim, We've already had one bad tire. Tredit passed us on to TBC, the tire mfg. I sent a video of the mounted tire, rolling it toward the camera. You could see the irregular wear very easily. They sent a new tire, and did not ask for the old one back. This one is definitely a broken belt or defect of some kind!

E

TravelTiger

Got the Maxxis installed, and WOW, what a difference, even just looking at them you can tell they are better! Getting away for the Holiday weekend, we'll see how they do.

TBC, the manufacturer, did offer to compensate us for the defective tires. I don't know what that amount will be till the check arrives, but hey, I just had to send them pics., not the tires back.

Attached is the pic of the tire that looked "bubbled". Photo Aug 31, 5 07 27 PM.jpeg The dealer said all of the belts were broken!

E

Dennist

atving and camping...
We upgraded our rims and tires on our Cyclone. Went to 16" (which it should have had on it from the factory) Commercial T/A BFG rib tires. 157 at Sams club. Gave us more than enough on our tri axle set up.

Took em with us to the Outer Banks, 70mph 90 degrees, all stayed within 2 degrees of one another. (I carry an infrared thermometer, one gets warm you got a nail).

As for the Michelins... what does temp have to do with anything, they are not going to grip anything back there.

We now put LT tires on all our utility trailers as the trailer tires just do not seem to hold up.

We did have over 10k miles on our china bombs from the factory, but I kept the air at max all the time! Truck and trailer (06 single wheel Ford newly upgraded to a 450) we were at 27K gross truck trailer 4 quads full of fuel 12 gallons of water.

Well, we will be needing new tires soon. Have approx 10k on these and due to issues, we now have 4 with treadwear on the inside edges. We are in process of upgrading the running gear to Dexter 7k.

So, I'm looking at tires, and have read everything I can about the options. Dry weight on sticker is 11420. The GVWR of the ElkRidge is 14k. My wheels are 80psi max, 3580lb max load. My choices due to the wheels are:

Maxxis (3420lb max load)
Goodyear Marathon (3420lb max load)
TowMax STR (3520lb max load) OE
Hercules STR (3520lb max load)

Ruled out Michelin XPS Ribs, due to size... We don't have much clearance within the wheellwell, and they are not recommended for use in temps close to freezing, snow or ice... Well, we like to take our trailer to go skiing, so that rules them out.

Figuring I'm probably close to GVWR, I'm leary of going with less max-load rated tires. We vacation/travel about 6-8 times a year, with distances up to 1500 miles away. Often driving 500-700 miles in a day.

What would you recommend, from these choices? I don't have funds to go wild and upgrade the wheels to get GY 614s (110psi max) at this time.

E[/QUOTE]