Too fast? Inexperience? Improper loading?

JanAndBill

What are the chances of this happening to a fifth wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20140806_135006824.jpgHappens more often than you think, here's one I worked. Fortunately no one was hurt. I and others on here have preached this so many times, and yet there are those who continue to tow unsafe putting themselves and others at risk. On this one the guy was pulling a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton pickup, grossly overloaded, he swerved to avoid contact with another car in the lane next to him, which started the sway. Unlike the air bag suspensions we had on our big trucks, which would adjust and compensate for changing loads, spring weight ratings are based on equal distribution of the load. If a trailer sways, the top will lean one way, transferring more of the weight to one side which in turn will cause the steering to be overly responsive, such that the driver will easily overcompensate. Each time the trailer swings one way or the other it becomes more violent until the driver loses control or it goes over. The way to avoid this type of accident is to NOT PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER IN THE FIRST PLACE. Be sure that your equipment (tow vehicle, trailer, hitch, etc) is rated for the use you are using it. I use the rule of thumb that you should allow a minimum of 10% safety margin on your weight ratings and preferably more. If you're properly set up, you can stop or steer out of most emergency situations, instead of wondering how you're going to correct an out of control vehicle. Last, SLOW DOWN, and enjoy the view.

Mattman

Wow. I know this is old, but makes me glad I just bought an excursion to tow my TT. I would like to note he had a rear luggage rack loaded. My guess is he over loaded the back and took all the pressure off his truck. I experiances this pulling a few quads when younger. Lucky no accident. But that's my guess. He had his trailer set up with no load on the back and possibly towed it a number of times with out incident. This trip he added some extra weight in the back cargo rack and didn't think twice about.

I agree the correction kinda looks like some slight trailer brake pressure and accelerate the truck to pull it back up. I bet he had cruse set.

Oregon_Camper

Heck...I thought he was a professional trailer parker. He was able to put trailer in spot...unhook trailer and get truck facing the site....all in about 10 seconds. Plus never got out of his rig. That my friends is talent. :)