What batteries are these? No name

Bones

I checked both batteries today at the camper and the voltage checked out a ok but I just decided to remove them and top them off. After I topped them off I load tested them both and it turns out one is shot and the other is a teeter totter. These batteries are original when we bought the camper 2 years ago. I am surprised they croaked already. Here are a few pictures. So now on to an unexpected expense and figuring out what I want to do.

0228162042[1].jpg0228162042a[1].jpg0228162043[1].jpg0228162043a[1].jpg

I think the batteries may have just gone kaput. So glad I decided to take them out and check them. Can anyone decode these things to tell me how old they actually are?

Bones

They look like group 27, 160 amp hour or reserve capacity.
Thanks. I'm browsing batteries now to see what is available. I found group 31 overdrive batteries on Trojan's website. Who knows how much those buggers are

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
They look like group 27, 160 amp hour or reserve capacity.

I think Jon's correct! Same thing happened to us the first year! One battery had NO markings whatsoever and the other, because the deal specifically was to add the second battery which had a label, I knew they were 27's. The noname battery took a crap when we were dry camping in one of Montana's USFS CG's so we had to make do with one until we left and headed back to town. Replaced them both with good deep cycle marine batteries. Lesson learned, don't have high expectations from your dealer in that department!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I think Jon's correct! Same thing happened to us the first year! One battery had NO markings whatsoever and the other, because the deal specifically was to add the second battery which had a label, I knew they were 27's. The noname battery took a crap when we were dry camping in one of Montana's USFS CG's so we had to make do with one until we left and headed back to town. Replaced them both with good deep cycle marine batteries. Lesson learned, don't have high expectations from your dealer in that department!!

I've got the DW looking at me now saying they were fine for 2 years why would they be bad all of a sudden!!!! I told her it happens and I get that look like I'm trying to get new batteries and looking for an excuse look...

travelin2

I've got the DW looking at me now saying they were fine for 2 years why would they be bad all of a sudden!!!! I told her it happens and I get that look like I'm trying to get new batteries and looking for an excuse look...

Batteries won't last as long in our campers as they do in our cars/trucks. Infrequent/seasonal use isn't all that good for them. Had the same issue with the boat, new battery every other year.

Bones

OK. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll spend a little more and get the AGM batteries and hope they last longer than 2 years. But if not at least I can plan on it. I'm really glad I decided to take them out and bench them. She was telling me that maybe my tester is bad. I guess that could be the case but I doubt it since it is just a giant resistor and one battery was a floater.

olcoon

Our's was around a year old when the battery shot craps (Interstate) contacted the dealer & they passed me off to Interstate for a new battery, as it's warranty was still good. Got it replaced & no problems since & it's about 4 years old. We keep our rig at the house & it's plugged in all the time. If you know the make of the battery, possibly it's warranty is still good.

Bones

So is ours these days and am hoping for a better outcome...

Sounds like I need to get on the ball and build a garage on the side of the house. Ha. The HOA would just love me. :angel:

Manzan

MY trailer had not been used or plugged in for a year when I checked batteries last July. I do have a battery switch and when I turned them on, nothing registered on my gauge. Thought I had ruined them, plugged in the trailer and after a few days, registered an almost full charge. After a weekend trip two weeks ago, they register 3/4 fill charge. Will replace them before my next outing. 5 years old and deserve to be retired!

Bones

OK. I found some Trojan batteries. OD31AGM. They are a little longer than my old ones. 13 inches so I am going to stop at the camper and check the battery tray to see if it will hold them. They have 180 AmpHrs. Not bad. Now for the question. I will only get 18 bucks for the Core's. One core is shot but the other one may be on the edge. Should I keep the one or should I just turn it in and get rid of it? Thoughts? So with 2 batteries I'll have 360 AmpHrs. That should be plenty of power since the old ones were doing good. Not exactly cheap for these buggers.

Kbvols

Your DW and mine must be related!

travelin2

Whatever you decide, turn in both, start new with matched pair...IMO

Bones

Whatever you decide, turn in both, start new with matched pair...IMO

that is kind of what I am thinking too. These are no name and who knows how much longer the other will will stay working and then I would be stuck with a broken battery or it will just sit on a shelf.