What batteries are these? No name

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Another thought---if you want to save a few $$$, unless you're planning to dry camp or boondock more than overnight you really only need one good battery. When you're staying at rv parks every night your 12v power is coming from the the pedestal via the converter. Just sayin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

Another thought---if you want to save a few $$$, unless you're planning to dry camp or boondock more than overnight you really only need one good battery. When you're staying at rv parks every night your 12v power is coming from the the pedestal via the converter. Just sayin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct but the extra battery is nice when we go on longer trips for the fridge. We tend to stop a lot for breaks and the only thing running the fridge are the batteries then.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I checked today and the current battery box can only house group 27 batteries. The overdrive group 31 batteries are a little too big for the box. They are 13.5 inches by 6.8 inches. Now I'm thinking about cutting a hole in that front storage area pan and recessing the batteries down and then using the gained space for storage. Ugh see what these batteries caused.......Improvements. Ha.

avvidclif

You are correct but the extra battery is nice when we go on longer trips for the fridge. We tend to stop a lot for breaks and the only thing running the fridge are the batteries then.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I checked today and the current battery box can only house group 27 batteries. The overdrive group 31 batteries are a little too big for the box. They are 13.5 inches by 6.8 inches. Now I'm thinking about cutting a hole in that front storage area pan and recessing the batteries down and then using the gained space for storage. Ugh see what these batteries caused.......Improvements. Ha.

I don't know about yours but mine is running on propane and uses 12v to light it and maybe run a fan is needed. Not much draw at all.

Bones

I don't know about yours but mine is running on propane and uses 12v to light it and maybe run a fan is needed. Not much draw at all.
My fridge is a residential one and runs off the Inverter during the drive to and from campgrounds.

Oregon_Camper

Well I checked today and the current battery box can only house group 27 batteries. The overdrive group 31 batteries are a little too big for the box.

Just grab 2 of these from Lowes. I reused the top and bottom vents from the prior battery box, and attached to these. They work great and they were only $8.

025947712113lg.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What are you gaining in these bigger batteries other than size and weight?? Any increase in reserve amp hours?? My 27's are rated at 180 AH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondjim

NOTE DATE OF POST
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM

"Just received a pleasant surprise from Heartland factory tech. The subject batteries, at least in my unit, are from Exide. The sticker, which states " D27DC-160" translates to mean group 27 size. Take note these batteries are the "economy" model (Exides words). We have to assume the "160" is the amp hour rating. The warranty is probably only for a couple of years. THey are good for only about 12-16 hrs run time for the inverter refrigerator, assuming many other factors. I'm really happy the factory monitors this forum and at times will personally call the consumer. THis is why I stick with the Heartland brand!!!!"

I did a Google search for the battery label and got the above information in a very strange format from a Heartland Forum. Don't know but what this just muddies the waters or helps you in your decision making. I guess I just like playing detective.
Good luck, but the advice of changing both at the same time is a good idea!

Bones

What are you gaining in these bigger batteries other than size and weight?? Any increase in reserve amp hours?? My 27's are rated at 180 AH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The ones that came out look like they are 160 and the ones online are 158. So I am gaining a few Amp Hours

Would the current size work? I would say yes and they would work just fine. Maybe I will call the company and ask them the price difference and see. Maybe the extra cost isn't worth the larger batteries. Lets find out I'll call in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

NOTE DATE OF POST
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM

"Just received a pleasant surprise from Heartland factory tech. The subject batteries, at least in my unit, are from Exide. The sticker, which states " D27DC-160" translates to mean group 27 size. Take note these batteries are the "economy" model (Exides words). We have to assume the "160" is the amp hour rating. The warranty is probably only for a couple of years. THey are good for only about 12-16 hrs run time for the inverter refrigerator, assuming many other factors. I'm really happy the factory monitors this forum and at times will personally call the consumer. THis is why I stick with the Heartland brand!!!!"

I did a Google search for the battery label and got the above information in a very strange format from a Heartland Forum. Don't know but what this just muddies the waters or helps you in your decision making. I guess I just like playing detective.
Good luck, but the advice of changing both at the same time is a good idea!
Thanks Jim,
I definitely made the decision to replace both batteries. I am going to call and ask how much the group 27 batteries are compared to the 31 depending on what I get back I may decide to just stay with the group 27. They did just fine when they were working.

farside291

I just bought two group 27 Energizer from Sam's for $79 each. My batteries were stamped 03 14. They lasted barely 2 years. They also were no label batteries. I started noticing my level up would stop and start when using.

Bones

Well I took the dive today. I bought two Trojan group 27 AGM batteries. Hopefully they last a lot longer than the last pair. I also decided to see if I can recess the current battery box down. This would give some more head room and then I may build some shelves there that I could remove to get to the equipment if I needed to.

Oregon_Camper

Well I took the dive today. I bought two Trojan group 27 AGM batteries. Hopefully they last a lot longer than the last pair. I also decided to see if I can recess the current battery box down. This would give some more head room and then I may build some shelves there that I could remove to get to the equipment if I needed to.

Pictures...pictures...pictures!!!

Bones

Sure. I should have the batteries by Friday. If weather holds out I may make a trip to the camper and see if I can recess the old box. Pictures will come. Here are some before pictures with the old batteries.

0228161258b.jpg0229161539b.jpg

explorer2316

Explorer2316
You may want to look at golf cart batteries. They are 6 volts each so they would be wired in series to get 12 volts. One problem with two 12 volt batteries in parallel is, unless the internal impedance is identical, one battery will supply more current than the other. Over time the imbalance becomes more pronounced and you end up with one bad battery. Having two in series eliminates that issue as both see exactly the same current. I'm also told golf cart batteries handel deep cycling better and have higher amp hour ratings so, you get more dry camp time.

I have not done the research yet as I have a new unit and haven't had the need. Hope that helps.

Bones

You may want to look at golf cart batteries. They are 6 volts each so they would be wired in series to get 12 volts. One problem with two 12 volt batteries in parallel is, unless the internal impedance is identical, one battery will supply more current than the other. Over time the imbalance becomes more pronounced and you end up with one bad battery. Having two in series eliminates that issue as both see exactly the same current. I'm also told golf cart batteries handel deep cycling better and have higher amp hour ratings so, you get more dry camp time.

I have not done the research yet as I have a new unit and haven't had the need. Hope that helps.
I did check out a few and the Amp hours for the ones I looked at were very similar. I also figured that I don't go off grid much so these should work well for me

justafordguy

Hey Bones, if you recess the box down through the metal floor of the front compartment you will have to build a recessed metal box for the plastic box to sit down in. The batteries are very heavy so the box will need to be sturdy. I don't think the gained space would be worth the trouble.

Bones

Hey Bones, if you recess the box down through the metal floor of the front compartment you will have to build a recessed metal box for the plastic box to sit down in. The batteries are very heavy so the box will need to be sturdy. I don't think the gained space would be worth the trouble.
You must have been reading my mind. I was thinking about some type of strap or reinforcement. If I could manage to get a box made cheaply to house the batteries I might manage to gain some headroom for storage.

rhodies1

I checked both batteries today at the camper and the voltage checked out a ok but I just decided to remove them and top them off. After I topped them off I load tested them both and it turns out one is shot and the other is a teeter totter. These batteries are original when we bought the camper 2 years ago. I am surprised they croaked already. Here are a few pictures. So now on to an unexpected expense and figuring out what I want to do.

View attachment 43191View attachment 43192View attachment 43193View attachment 43194

I think the batteries may have just gone kaput. So glad I decided to take them out and check them. Can anyone decode these things to tell me how old they actually are?

You our might consider trying 2 6 volt batteries vs 2. 12 volts.. I have gone to this format and will not go back. You get 3 to 4 times the usage out of the 6 volts. We dry camp and can go 5 days without thinking of using the gen to recharge. My unit still has all the halogen bulbs as well. Very impressed with the difference.