Where should you jack the trailer from?

sengli

Saw another thread on the site about if you get a flat, what do you carry to change the tire with. Looking thru the manual for the trailer they say to jack the frame up to change a tire. Recently I thought I would just simulate a flat tire, in the drive way and try to change a tire to see how tuff it would be. Wow is this trailer heavy! Using my usual 2.5 ton car jack, it struggled to lift one axle. I really had to reef on the 4ft long handle of the jack to left this monster. I think my 27RLSS fifth wheel supposedly weighs about 10K loaded. I decided to lift at or under one axle rather that jacking at the frame rail.

Looks like I need more jack than I currently carry. Saw several people say they pack a 20 ton bottle jack. But I not sure it will fit under an axle. Might be too tall.

jnbhobe

you should not jack on the axel without a saddle so you don't bend it, they are thin tubes.

porthole

Retired
There are a lot of threads here already with this subject, many with pictures if you do a search.

I had carried a 20 ton bottle jack prior to getting the LevelUp. You can get a "low profile" 20 ton jack at Tractor Supply.

20 ton jacks are not overkill - they just make it way easier to jack up the trailer.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm with Duane. I carry a 20 Ton Hydraulic jack. Tested it once - works great. Hope I won't need it since I have the Level-Up also, but if the 12 Volt system, or hydraulics fail, I can still lift it. I also carry roadside assistance, which is my number one means of changing a flat tire :).

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I also carry roadside assistance, which is my number one means of changing a flat tire :).

I tried that once...some young kid showed up in a tow truck (no tools), jacked at the axle (no blocks), and dropped the rig. A real learning experience for me!

rick_debbie_gallant

I carry a 20 ton "air over hydraulic" jack. It is a HFP brand and works great. I carry a 12 volt air compressor "SLIME" and use it to supply the air. works great and if the air is not fast enough I can use the thing as a regular bottle jack.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I tried that once...some young kid showed up in a tow truck (no tools), jacked at the axle (no blocks), and dropped the rig. A real learning experience for me!

If anyone ever tries to do that, I will send them on their way and do it myself. Then I'll call Good Sam and give them a big piece of my mind (what little bit I have left).

sengli

So the general opinion is get a 20 ton jack. But are saying to jack the trailer on the frame, not the axle tube?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on who made your axles, go to their web site and search around for information on jacking your rig.Their recomendation is to jack by the frame.Some members do jack on the axle, but with the addition of a saddle welded on the jack.PeaceDave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Many posts on this.....using the "search" box will give you plenty of answers. Be very very careful if you choose to lift by the frame.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/20534-Jacking-Up-a-5th-Wheel

sengli

I have now done some archive reading, and Lippert officially says not to jack the unit by the axle tube. I can understand their reason for saying that, cause you can crush the tube. I dont want to lift the whole trailer, just maybe one wheel at a time to either change a flat...or to do brake adjusting etc. If you were to want to lift both wheels off the ground by jacking on the frame, wouldn't it be wise to have two jacks doing this, not just one?

GOTTOYS

I lift mine with a hydraulic jack placed on the spring right next to the axle. No danger of crushing the axle and I only need to lift the wheel about 1" off the ground to adjust the brakes. I would not feel very safe laying under the trailer if I had to lift it by the frame. It would have to go up pretty high and would require some good jackstands for support....Don

TedS

I drove my trailer up on blocks to change a flat. Ramps and blocks and pushing/pulling with the truck seemed easier and safer than cribbing a jack on a slopping shoulder. Had to do it twice on one trip.

Gaffer

Get a saddle that fits your axel. Should be less than $5. 10 or 20 ton bottle jack and you are in business.

axel%20saddle.jpg

GOTTOYS

Just out of curiosity, who sells these saddles?
I've seen them at Northern Tool (Hydraulics). Most places that sell trailer parts have them. They are meant to be welded to the trailer axle where the axle bolts to the springs with U-Bolts. They are available with different size radius to work with different diameter axle tubes. On my list of things to do. I would like to weld a short stub to the center of it so it can't slip off my jack...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Get a saddle that fits your axel. Should be less than $5. 10 or 20 ton bottle jack and you are in business.

View attachment 19076

I guess the gist of it is, drive the good tire up on blocks as high as you can safely and jack the remaining few inches to get the bad tire off the ground. Is this the consensus best method ?
I agree the saddle would be safer, but is it any less stress on the axle than the bottle jack alone. Trace

GOTTOYS

I guess the gist of it is, drive the good tire up on blocks as high as you can safely and jack the remaining few inches to get the bad tire off the ground. Is this the consensus best method ?
I agree the saddle would be safer, but is it any less stress on the axle than the bottle jack alone. Trace
Don't need any blocks, just jack it up an inch or so. The saddle will spread the weight over the entire axle at its' strongest point. At Goshen last year I went to their seminars, Dexter guy and Lippert guy were split on how to jack it up. One said axle is okay, the other said frame. I've lifted mine for brake adjust by going right next to the axle on the spring, but using a saddle looks better and would be more stable. As long as you stay under the spring portion what can you damage?..JMHO...Don