Where should you jack the trailer from?

JJOren

There is a special product made to lift trailers. It is a 'ramp' that captures the good tire at the top. You pull on to it with the good tire and it lifts the bad tire off the ground. Works so well, the last time I went to Good Year they borrowed it to change my tires...LOL Camping World has them under the name of "Trailer Aid" but i'm sure there are others out there.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John thanks,
I was actually going to get one of those, but a member of this forum said he drove up on one and it imploded. Wouldn't hold the weight.
I'll have to assume that it was just a fluke, because they look like they would work well.
I think I'll put it back on my list. Trace

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Trace, if your thinking about getting one, there will probably be one on the for sale table in Gillette.
Well, no, actually I am sure of it.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have one of the black TrailerAids. Label says it's good to 15000 lbs. I keep it in the truck since I got it before converting to the four Ground Control jacks. Might come in handy for someone else not so equipped. I'd still like to get a saddle for my bottle jack, though.

JJOren

Based on the manufacturers info, the 15,000 K on that unit is based on the load exerted. The per axle weight on my Mesa is less than 8000. I'm thinking I'm about 50% of the rating on the ramp. Had a trailer lip off my bottle jack and spring saddle years ago. That brought my jacking days to an end. Have changed two different flats with the Trailer Aid....found it to be really stable.

JJOren

As I indicated to JohnDar, Trace, I've changed two different tires on mine. Wouldn't do it any other way!!! Don't think you would be sorry. BTW, they have other brands out there and I suspect you can find heavier ratings. However, I can't imagine you having anything that would put more than 15000 K on a single tire!!

lwmcguir

Using the drive on jack/ramps is the safest way on the road to change a tire. Keep the coach on the TV while doing it. If you choose to use a bottle jack it should be with an adapter for the axle and then only to raise the axle high enough to slip on the new wheel.

sengli

Thanks for all the great ideas. I wil get one of those traileraids, and a bottle jack. And i will show my wife how to change tires so I dont have to do it anymore.

Gaffer

Where to get the saddle? I got mine from the parts dept. at my local Heartland dealer. I was able to take it out in their yard and test fit it to another trailer same model as mine. It was a perfect fit and when placed between the u-bolts, there is little chance for slippage.

pegmikef

Where to get the saddle?.

I got mine at a local dealer who builds and/or customizes stock, farm, utility and cargo trailers. He had several different sizes so he let me take one of each to fit it to my axle. The one I ended up buying fit perfectly and was only four or five bucks.