Winterizing 2011 3850

shriver63

I blew out all my water lines and black water rinse and drained all my low point drains and water heater. Then I got to thinking my water pump is still sitting with water in it. So I had this brilliant idea to use RV antifreeze. Closed all faucets, hooked up antifreeze inlet tube in UDC and inserted it in jug, turned the valve in the UDC to "winterize" and turned on the pump. Pump proceeded to suck my RV antifreeze jug dry and fill my water heater. Not exactly what I had in mind. Any ideas why Heartland wants you to fill water heater with RV antifreeze?

gpshemi

You have to switch the hot water tank's by-pass valves over also. That way it just fills the lines and pump. My hot water tank valves are under the sink cabinet behind a panel that they SCREWED and stapled in...as if I want to have to undo a bunch of screws and pry that apart every year to switch that over. I'll be changing that over to some wing nuts or velcro come spring time.

PUG

Pug
Your manual that came with your trl should show you how to turn the valves to bypass the water heater. On my 3950 I open the compartment in the basement to access the rear of the water heater. There are three valves. One is to turn off the water going into water heater, the second is the valve for the water coming out of the water heater. Turn both of these off to isolate the WH. Between these two valves is another valve that normally is closed that you open. This one allows the "in" to hook to the "out of the WH. My trl also has a valve in the Utility section that says "winterize". Put your hose in the Antifreeze and let it suck opening each faucett until they run pink. Also the toilets and any other place water runs out.

truknutt

Committed Member
Don't forget your outside shower, w/d lines & ice maker line, if so equipped. Many forget them and then come Spring they've got a problem.

gpshemi

Washer Dryer lines...Hmmm...I don't have a washer dryer, but I think it's preped for it in the mini fridge area. Good thought. I just did mine but never thought of that area. Wonder how I bleed those off. Never had those before. Must have to screw in a line and loop it into the drain...