Battery killer

We just bought a new Torque. Within 2 days the battery was terminally dead. I did find 1 light on in the storage compartment but nothing else. New battery, 2 days later, same result. There is nothing I have found that can kill a battery that quickly. Has anyone any suggestions or have experienced this? I could see it happening over time but not 2 days.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Is the breakaway switch secure?? Power from the battery to the brake magnets will drain the battery fast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

We just bought a new Torque. Within 2 days the battery was terminally dead. I did find 1 light on in the storage compartment but nothing else. New battery, 2 days later, same result. There is nothing I have found that can kill a battery that quickly. Has anyone any suggestions or have experienced this? I could see it happening over time but not 2 days.

You will also have the fuel gauge for the fuel station, propane detector and radio memory.
These are small loads but I wouldn't really rule them out as the cause.

Removing fuses from the load center might tell you what is drawing.

LBR

Maybe dealer installed a cancerous battery...pull out and have it charged/load tested....it may have a shorted/dead cell.

donr827

I had a similar problem one time. I charged both batteries at home and let them sit there. One batter held its voltage while the other was loosing voltage every day when I measured with my meter. The problem was a bad cell in one of the batteries.
Don

Thanks for the suggestions. I went back and checked the break away switch, it is secure but I will check for a electrical load later. Until I replace battery number 2, I can't check the load from the fuel gauge, radio memory or the carbon dioxide detector although I agree these should be a minimal draw on the battery. I do not have the artic package that's not the problem.
I've already replaced the first battery. It discharged to the point it would not take a charge (bad cell). The second battery had the same result. The batteries are under warranty so there is no cost. I don't feel right replacing the batteries when the problem is with the RV. This is a new RV so I am taking the problem back to the dealer.

If I were to flip the Main power breaker will that disconnect whatever the problem is from the battery?

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Be sure to circle back here and let us know what was found at the dealer.

Peace
Dave

Is the breakaway switch secure?? Power from the battery to the brake magnets will drain the battery fast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never have thought of that. I went back and checked. It is secure. Thanks anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to circle back here and let us know what was found at the dealer.

Peace
Dave

I sure will. My ignorance is my biggest frustration. Thanks

Lynn1130

I may have missed it if it was mentioned but do you have a 12 volt cutoff switch? If so shut it off. If not, I would install one.

galnelson

I have replaced my batteries twice since buying my 2014 Bighorn 3010RL in fall of 2013. I have read through my owners manuals, talked to the dealer asked other rv owners and still don't know how to keep from overcharging the batteries. It seem to me that for the price I paid for this 5th wheel it should have a system that automatically keeps the batteries charged. I am baffeld. Do I turn off the power switch when hooked up to shore power and not living in it and if so, how do I keep the batteries charged? I hope someone can help me out. I'm tired of ruining batteries.

jnbhobe

How are you overcharging the batteries?? Is the water boiling out of them ?? The only time you need to turn off the battery switch is when your not connected to shore power and not using the rig. Batteries should read about 13.5 volts when plugged in to shore power.

danemayer

I have replaced my batteries twice since buying my 2014 Bighorn 3010RL in fall of 2013. I have read through my owners manuals, talked to the dealer asked other rv owners and still don't know how to keep from overcharging the batteries. It seem to me that for the price I paid for this 5th wheel it should have a system that automatically keeps the batteries charged. I am baffeld. Do I turn off the power switch when hooked up to shore power and not living in it and if so, how do I keep the batteries charged? I hope someone can help me out. I'm tired of ruining batteries.

Hi galnelson,

Your Bighorn does have a system that automatically keeps the batteries charged when plugged into shore power. The charge comes from the Power Converter which converts 120V AC into 12V DC. The Power Converter used has several modes that apply different voltage levels to charge/maintain the battery.

Whenever plugged into shore power, keep the battery cutoff switch ON or no charge will reach the battery. Also, there's a 12V mini-circuit breaker near the battery that sits in between the battery and the Power Converter. If that is tripped, no charge will reach the battery. If you'd like more info on that, take a look at our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

And if you are plugged in for an extended period, you should check water levels in the battery monthly to make sure you don't run the cells dry which will damage the battery.

If you are boiling off water quickly, that would ruin the battery and could be caused by a malfunction in the Power Converter.

It will kill any AC loads but not DC. Fuses will have to be pulled for that.
Is it possible the battery they have installed is of very poor quality?

It is an EXIDE battery. I'm not familiar with that particular brand. It I sold at camping world and Tractor supply. I have always been a fan of interstate Batteries. I have a short list of warranty issues that need addressing so I will add this to the list. Thanks

wdk450

What brand.model of copnverter/charger do you have? Heartland used to install the expensive Progressive 9200 series with the charge wizard, but I think I heard they moved on to something cheaper. I have had one of my batteries since i took delivery of my trailer in 2009 (I replaced the other one installed when the rig was new). I now run a 4 battery system with a mix of regular deep cycle and SLA wheelchair batteries. Fulltiming now for 3 years, and no sign of battery failure currently. I beleive the desulphation charge cycle every 24 hours with the Progressive Charge Wizard has a lot to do with that.