Diesel lower than Gas

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Somebody mentioned above that states are collecting less taxes because the per-gallon prices are lower . . .

However, since their taxes are 'per gallon', that doesn't make sense as chances are with lower gas prices we are buying more gas . . .

Which means they should be collecting the same amount of taxes or more!

CaptnJohn

Diesel in Sarasota FL ~~ lowest I found $2.05. John D may be on the right track. My daughter puts many more work miles on than 18 months ago. The Diesel burns more as it never stops. When not on the road the truck keeps moving and the car ~~ my wife is always on the go. We use one card for nothing but fuel and the bills are higher than a year ago. The last 7 months the fuel bills have been noticeably higher with lower pump prices.

ksucats

Let's see - my last 'Van' got 16 miles to a gallon on the road; my current jeep gets as much as 26 mpg. Neighbor has a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi - his last Dodge got a little over 18 mpg, he claims his current one gets over 22. Granted not a large, nor statistically valid sample but given the increased fuel mileage of most newer vehicles, we are purchasing less fuel for the same miles driven. Less fuel purchased equates to less taxes collected. Now, that said, this holiday season AAA reported higher POV travel numbers for those going 50 miles or more from home than in quite a number of recent, past, years. So that means that we, the American Public, put on more miles hence purchased more fuel but not as much as we would have (given the same prices) several years ago. (I hope that makes sense).

We are fortunate in that my wife's job actually changed (she retired from Ft Riley KS - a 60 mile per day round trip) and now only has to travel 10 miles round trip. So, with her smallish car she was getting 18 to 20 on the road to work each day (3 gallons) now she gets 15 city so less than 1 gallon. Maybe we are fortunate in being an exception but fuel economy on today's cars and small trucks is improving. Next on the list are the larger trucks - I'm not looking forward to those days but look at Ford (and their aluminum body trucks); I foresee the same for the other truck manufacturers as they strive to meet Government MPG rules. HOWEVER, the EPA or CAFE will have to give - my use of diesel has gone UP since these Diesel Particulate Filters came on board. Off my soap box.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Let's see - my last 'Van' got 16 miles to a gallon on the road; my current jeep gets as much as 26 mpg. Neighbor has a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi - his last Dodge got a little over 18 mpg, he claims his current one gets over 22. Granted not a large, nor statistically valid sample but given the increased fuel mileage of most newer vehicles, we are purchasing less fuel for the same miles driven. Less fuel purchased equates to less taxes collected. Now, that said, this holiday season AAA reported higher POV travel numbers for those going 50 miles or more from home than in quite a number of recent, past, years. So that means that we, the American Public, put on more miles hence purchased more fuel but not as much as we would have (given the same prices) several years ago. (I hope that makes sense).

We are fortunate in that my wife's job actually changed (she retired from Ft Riley KS - a 60 mile per day round trip) and now only has to travel 10 miles round trip. So, with her smallish car she was getting 18 to 20 on the road to work each day (3 gallons) now she gets 15 city so less than 1 gallon. Maybe we are fortunate in being an exception but fuel economy on today's cars and small trucks is improving. Next on the list are the larger trucks - I'm not looking forward to those days but look at Ford (and their aluminum body trucks); I foresee the same for the other truck manufacturers as they strive to meet Government MPG rules. HOWEVER, the EPA or CAFE will have to give - my use of diesel has gone UP since these Diesel Particulate Filters came on board. Off my soap box.

My previous truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, which was my favorite vehicle out of the 30+ I've owned in my lifetime) got about 12 MPG per gallon of gas . . .

And my current 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gets about the same mileage . . . but can handle more weight!

My old 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 is now the best looking and running '96 Dodge Ram in Rochester, New York!

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg 4wheelinsig-IMGP3158.jpg TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Diesel dropped again here in the Central Susquehanna Valley to $2.12. I know it's not as cheap as in many other states but for us !!!
Just two years ago diesel was $4.29...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ksucats

Gasoline and Diesel have both come down a bit here this week but not near what it has in Topeka and especially Kansas City on the Missouri side. I saw gas in Grain Valley MO for 1.349 a gallon. It is still 1.499 to 1.599 at the stations here. Diesel still at 1.899.

CabinetmakerII

DW and I took our TH to the east Coast in search of Fall colors. On our trip we logged 10,576 miles. We had budgeted $5K for fuel. With fuel prices on the decline we are happy to report we only spent about half. Diesel prices have continued drop. I paid $1.67/Gallon in Yuma this week. Gasoline is $1.89/Gallon. I hope fuel prices remain low as we are planning a trip to Alaska this summer.

CaptnJohn

Today Obie proposed a $10 per bbl tax on oil ~~ imported and exported. He suggested many liberal ways to waste the tax $$$ collected.

Bones

For some odd reason diesel went up here 7 cents back to 2 dollars.

Last edited:

avvidclif

I think it's called the speculators trying to recover their rear end. It has gone up abt 10-15 cents here.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It seems to me that many stations are using regular gasoline as the 'loss leader' and using diesel for their money maker. Diesel should be priced equal to or below regular gasoline. MHO

Bones

Diesel use to always be cheaper than gas then all of a sudden it is more expensive and takes for ever to go down

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Still over the two dollar mark here too...$2.12/gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

The Saudis announced talks about cutting production. Oil jumped 12.3% and of course gasoline and diesel jumped too.