Diesel lower than Gas

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our fuel prices would be lower had our state legislature not added another $.30/gal a couple of years ago. I read other states are now considering same on these lower prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

RE the 30 cent tax increase - KS has been looking a that as well - income from gasoline tax has decreased as cars / gas burning trucks have gotten more efficient. Less fuel used, less taxes collected, less road work being done (of course that doesn't offset our good old governor and legislature taking highway monies to cover shortfalls in other areas these past years.) Diesel taxes were increased several years ago. Kansas has also looked at taxing vehicles based on annual mileage driven. Made it out of one committee several years ago but never to the floor. They figured that the mileage used was on Kansas highways for the most part, hence repair costs would be covered by those who drove the most. Real problem for me and my truck as most of its mileage is out of state driving.

Regardless, unleaded 1.65 this morning, diesel at 1.75 and 1.89 depending on which part of town you fuel at (towards Ft Riley it is higher, guess they can get more money from the soldiers and civilians working out that way. :(

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
RE the 30 cent tax increase - KS has been looking a that as well - income from gasoline tax has decreased as cars / gas burning trucks have gotten more efficient. Less fuel used, less taxes collected, less road work being done (of course that doesn't offset our good old governor and legislature taking highway monies to cover shortfalls in other areas these past years.) Diesel taxes were increased several years ago. Kansas has also looked at taxing vehicles based on annual mileage driven. Made it out of one committee several years ago but never to the floor. They figured that the mileage used was on Kansas highways for the most part, hence repair costs would be covered by those who drove the most. Real problem for me and my truck as most of its mileage is out of state driving.

Regardless, unleaded 1.65 this morning, diesel at 1.75 and 1.89 depending on which part of town you fuel at (towards Ft Riley it is higher, guess they can get more money from the soldiers and civilians working out that way. :(

Isn't it strange how businesses seem to take advantage of members of the military by 'over' charging them. Been that way as long as I can remember. Even overseas that happens. We were paying (back in 1966) $35. a month rent for a duplex where the civilian family was paying $20 for the same exact units. It is strange how there is such a disparity in fuel pricing though. Here in Trinity TX the regular gas is $1.89 gal where you can drive 6 miles south to Riverside and pay $1.69 a gal and then 11 more miles south to Huntsville and pay $1.55 a gal, a 34 cent difference. My theory is the businesses are price gouging the consumers.

ksucats

Historically, Manhattan KS has had one of the highest gas prices. Topeka and several stations between us and there are as much as 15 cents cheaper. Junction City, right outside the gate of Fort Riley on the west side is normally 10 or so cents cheaper. The Garrison Commander has stated several times over the years that the on-post gas price will be lower than, or match the lowest price in the catchment area (JC, Manhattan, Ogden.) Strange that right now the price in Manhattan is 1.65, Ogden is 163.9 and JC is 1.699. Post yesterday was 1.759 (which is what JC was last week.) Oh well, guess they have to get money for the soldier morale and welfare funds some where.

Back on topic - I was just told that in Wamego (14 miles east of us) that gas was 1.49 this morning. Getting down there.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I hope gas gets down to $1.00 per gallon by the time we leave in four weeks for the Tucson Rodeo Rally!

That will cut down immensely how much that trip will cost!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I hope gas gets down to $1.00 per gallon by the time we leave in four weeks for the Tucson Rodeo Rally!

That will cut down immensely how much that trip will cost!

I don't know if you would think that way if you lived in the Houston (energy corridor) area. Due to the low crude prices thousands have been loosing their jobs. We would like to see a happy medium in the energy prices. Keep in mind when as many as 10000 loose their jobs in a single area that has a ripple effect on everyone. I would be satisfied if fuel prices settles around 2.50 per gal.

CaptnJohn

Not just TX but NW PA is being hit too with the low prices. Supply and demand ~~ the middle east is set on putting a lot of US suppliers out of business. Low prices is doing a good job. I believe in a fair price and $4++ gas sure was not fair just as $1.75 is not. The federal govt and ethanol is not helping and state taxes climbing does not help either. Obie's E-85 just adds to the cost of food when we put food in the gas tank. Around $2.50 - $3.00 sounds fair except in CA with their silly regs~ maybe $4 for them.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I don't know if you would think that way if you lived in the Houston (energy corridor) area. Due to the low crude prices thousands have been loosing their jobs. We would like to see a happy medium in the energy prices. Keep in mind when as many as 10000 loose their jobs in a single area that has a ripple effect on everyone. I would be satisfied if fuel prices settles around 2.50 per gal.

Impacts our local economy as well. Reduction in NG production jobs in the Marcellus Shale region.
Also those of us retirees receiving our SSA disbursements, no COLA this year because lower petroleum prices affected the measurements used to calculate the COLA, not to mention other retirement investments !!!

CaptnJohn

Impacts our local economy as well. Reduction in NG production jobs in the Marcellus Shale region.
Also those of us retirees receiving our SSA disbursements, no COLA this year because lower petroleum prices affected the measurements used to calculate the COLA, not to mention other retirement investments !!!

They take fuel prices into account but not health care that has risen dramatically thanks to those that calculate...

avvidclif

No COLA doesn't bother me a bit. I guarantee my lower fuel costs have more than offset any COLA.

ksucats

Don't take me wrong on this - I feel that the loss of oil and gas jobs (as well as those affected by the 'ripple effect') is atrocious. However, how can we support 2.50 to 3.00 per gallon when we now see it at 1.65 or so and the gas companies are still making a profit, the CEOs and other executives are still receiving their exorbitant salaries. The oil producing countries are feeling the effects as they have used the profits to build extravagant buildings (Dubai and their hallmark mall with indoor snow skiing for example). I am not fooling myself believing that these fuel prices will continue - I was just starting my working career when the fuel crisis of 1970s hit. Fuel going from 30 or so cents to over a dollar in a week because OPEC cut production (or whatever actually caused it - I don't recall anyone ever really saying otherwise but...). Finally I just received my quarterly bill for our weekly trash pickup. Low and behold there is an $8.45 addition for fuel surcharge. H.I.T.H. can they justify charging an additional fee when diesel has dropped so much. I actually called them and told the young lady that I felt they should be reducing the bill by the eight dollars since fuel prices had gone down. Her response - they factor in future expected costs and they expect prices to return to the previous amount within the next quarter. HUH!! So, back to my earlier comment about excess profits and CEO/Executives getting such salaries. Off my rant.

In any case I say we enjoy what we can now. If travel is in your future, enjoy it. I am one of those that still have to wake up every morning and go to that four-letter word (work). I look forward to the day when I can travel and enjoy our LM more. In the mean time I'm enjoying the reduced costs to fuel our vehicles as we are still working. I enjoyed the lessor costs when we went to New Mexico earlier this month and I hope we can still enjoy them for some summer travel.

Best wishes to all. Special wishes to all of our friends and members in the East and North East.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Just filled up my aux tank and 2 5-gal cans at Buccees New Braunfels @ $1.47 per gallon.
uploadfromtaptalk1453835859419.jpg

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Diesel was a $1.69 today in Co. Springs at one station I went by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ksucats

Unleaded in Ogden Kansas was 153.9 last night. Manhattan KS still at 159.9 and Topeka Sam's was at 1.53 but there are other stations selling for 1.45 according to http://www.kansasgasprices.com/Topeka/index.aspx . Per this same site, with a date/time of seven minutes ago, Gas & Shop on NW Topeka Blvd had diesel for 1.44 a gallon. The majority of the other stations listed for Topeka are in the 1.57. Here in Manhattan still 1.879. Almost 100 miles round trip to Topeka so not cost effective but if I had reason to go there, and needed fuel - that could add up.

dlw930

Got diesel at the neighborhood store for $1.359 per gal. yesterday. Full disclosure: that included $.10/gal reward discount.