Fuel $

eddylives

Here in Thunder Bay Ontario it is around $1.30 a litre.......and higher all over NWO.....puts a real strain on activities that require fuel. And diesel is even higher than that by a good 0.10/ltr.

ncc1701e

Filled up today: Diesel $3.959/gal & Gas $3.739/gal here in western KY. A few places it was $4.01/gal for diesel. :mad:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Little jump yesterday here in Sumter SC. Most stations are now at 3.90 but got one that just hit 4.09. My favorite station is still at 3.85 according to Gas Buddy. We will find out this morning.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Diesel here in Taylorsville ranges from 3.80 at Walmart to 3.90 at our local convience store. Got some water in my fuel at the walmart here in town one time,so I don't buy much there.

Dave49

Re: Fuel $ A word of caution

Ahhhhhhh heck I don't know the problem here. I once talked to a guy at work and we were talking fuel prices with about 20 of us in the room getting ready for work. The conversation goes like this. Rising fuel prices was upsetting a number of guys and this one guy pipes up and says " I dont care how much fuel cost, I only buy $5.00 at a time anyway". Now you say nooooo this guy didn't just say that and mean it, but the fact is he believed it!!

Some people......but it sure was good for a laugh!!!

This is the same guy that goes into a restaurant and orders a pizza and tells the waitress have them cut that in 6 pieces, I can't eat 8. Again, this guy tops it all!!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have a real good friend of mine that his actual name is Doc and he is a PHD as well. Doc is in his 70s he was a bank president and math professor at OU. We were sitting around the dinning room at the Masonic Lodge, with several other brothers there, and were discussing gas prices. One guy named Carl pipes up and says that if gas goes over $4.00 I'm gonna stop driving. Doc says Carl how many miles per gallon does your car get and Carl responds 27 MPG. Doc then asked, Would you walk 27 miles for $4.00?

No response from Carl.

Not any real bearing on the subject at hand but I thought it was funny at the time.

Doc's point was that the oil companys don't care, they know that people have to get to work and if it means paying $5.00 a gallon they have no choice. The environmentalist want it high to push the alternative fuel agenda. Alternative fuel investors (several politicians included) want it high because its good for their investments.

Birchwood

Got on to alternatives on my other thread.Diesel cost on the space coast of Florida is close to $4.00.Sams club was $3.90
last weekend.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Without getting political or accusing oil barons of being proctologists, does anyone have a good explanation why diesel costs more than regular gas when it takes less refining?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Without getting political or accusing oil barons of being proctologists, does anyone have a good explanation why diesel costs more than regular gas when it takes less refining?

The "supply and demand" thing?

jbeletti

Also, during the winter heating season, home heating fuel oil competes for supply. Traditionally, diesel fuel pricing "used to" drop in the summer due to slack in demand for home heating fuel oil.

Jim

Urban350

Up here they say diesel is more refined now because of the emissions regulations, not shure if that is true but it is what they say.

ChopperBill

The introduction of the low sulphur fuel is when all the BS started. Have something to do with that?

wdk450

I have been told that a gallon of diesel actually has more energy BTU's than a gallon of gasoline, thus it is worth (costs) more.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Diesel used to be cheaper. So why is it more now?

Also I put gas in our minivan last night. 70 bucks and it did not even fill it up. Oh boy this country is going to be hurting soon.

KWire

There is about 5cents more road taxes on Diesel than gasoline. But that doesn't explain the rest of the difference.

Keith

lwmcguir

There is a very simple explanation which is actually two parts. First the refineries all geared up with the Hydro Crackers and Hydrogen units to make No lead. It is costly to change a Refineries mix. Then Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel became a mandate and cost more to make due to the larger hydrogen units to strip the Sulfur. The second part of the equation is the trend towards charging for fuel based on BTU content. That is following Europe a bit. It is very unlikely that you will ever see Diesel lower than Gasoline again. We have went from $0.50 cent fuel per gallon on the Ranch to now about $0.45 less than the pump for dyed fuel in just over 15 years. Food is going to continue to follow the energy cost.

dave10a

Fuel consumption USA wide is down because of a mild winter. The Oil companies are shipping refined fuel to China and Asia that is willing to pay the higher prices. We as US citizens are getting screwed and the Government is doing nothing about it because it wants higher prices. Don't believe the BS coming from the government......

porthole

Retired
Up to 20%. At $4.00+/gal, those 6 gallons per tank I could have gotten for free adds up.

Homemade "Bio" isn't the same as what you have at the pumps.
Your new truck's fuel system is too picky to burn "used vegetable" oil in it. The odds are good you will get a fuel system issue and the odds are even better that using old Mickey Dee's grease in your truck will equate to an expensive repair bill for you.

The "supply and demand" thing?

Over the road trucks and taxes and of course politics.

We need to stop exporting more oil then we import.

And I have always felt the a barrel of oil should be the same price as a bushel of wheat.

I can walk to work if I have to but they can't eat their crude.