Fuel $

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Homemade "Bio" isn't the same as what you have at the pumps.
Your new truck's fuel system is too picky to burn "used vegetable" oil in it. The odds are good you will get a fuel system issue and the odds are even better that using old Mickey Dee's grease in your truck will equate to an expensive repair bill for you.QUOTE]

Hate to disagree Duane, but the $60K system my son had ready to go refined the used oil to a degree better than what Shell sells at their Bio pumps.

porthole

Retired
Homemade "Bio" isn't the same as what you have at the pumps.
Your new truck's fuel system is too picky to burn "used vegetable" oil in it. The odds are good you will get a fuel system issue and the odds are even better that using old Mickey Dee's grease in your truck will equate to an expensive repair bill for you.QUOTE]

Hate to disagree Duane, but the $60K system my son had ready to go refined the used oil to a degree better than what Shell sells at their Bio pumps.

Got a chemical analysis of that ? :D

I'm all for doing things I want to do to my truck/my way. Quality fuel and or vendors has now become a priority for me. There are too many issues arising with the 6.7 and questionable fuel and or practices.

I'm a firm believer that the Magnuson-Moss act act will offer me some protection with my vehicle. But I found out that buying Motorcraft filters is actually less expensive then buying aftermarket filters, using the Motorcraft additives is the same as using Diesel Kleen's and I will stick with name brand fuel and known suppliers if at all possible.

If you use it I wish you luck and hope you have no problems.

wdk450

Porthole:
I remember an independent testing lab evaluation of diesel fuel additives I saw on this forum. The winner for best engine lubrication enhancement was . . . .BIODIESEL!!!

porthole

Retired
Porthole:
I remember an independent testing lab evaluation of diesel fuel additives I saw on this forum. The winner for best engine lubrication enhancement was . . . .BIODIESEL!!!

Maybe, and I'd like to see "it" and see the big 3 get on board with support.
But if you have one of the newer Ford, GM or VW;s with the Bosch HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), fuel quality is a big concern.

Bio may be all most are led to believe it is, but how it is detrimental to the newer HPFP's is that it it is more likely to absorb water. The newer HPFP's cannot handle water.
And the real reason we have Bio is because of subsidies. It costs more and only benefits the farmers.

wdk450

Maybe, and I'd like to see "it" and see the big 3 get on board with support.
But if you have one of the newer Ford, GM or VW;s with the Bosch HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), fuel quality is a big concern.

Bio may be all most are led to believe it is, but how it is detrimental to the newer HPFP's is that it it is more likely to absorb water. The newer HPFP's cannot handle water.
And the real reason we have Bio is because of subsidies. It costs more and only benefits the farmers.

Here's the "IT": http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728 (from a forum search).

I have a 2004 Dodge Cummins I am going to make last as long as I can, so I should be able to use 100% Biodiesel.

porthole

Retired
Well that is an interesting study, although, at over 4 years old is rather old data considering the vehicles most affected by fuel issues are 2011 and newer.

I would have to think that adding 100% Soy based biodiesel at a ratio of 50:1, will not be backed by Ford.

And to keep things "clear", the "biodiesel" that is referred to here is not the same "biodiesel" that Gus' son was planning on making.
I am more then a bit skeptical that spending 60K on equipment will output a better product from used vegetable oil then what the refineries are outputting with soy based bio.

Either way, home grown or refinery biodiesel, they both have the same drawback, they are hygroscopic, and the new HPFP's cannot digest water.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree the price of diesel is getting to high since it was about 1.87 just a year or so ago. However I remember a few years ago we went to Canada and it was up in the $4 range. If fuel goes up $0.10 per gallon and you buy 200 gal in a week that is $20 dollars more. It is still a lot less increase than a lot of other things, such as food. Ears of corn were $0.50 each last week. Not to long ago they were $0.30 not to long ago. Tomatos are $2.98 a pound when not to long ago they were $1.98 a pound. Maybe I need to stop eating so I can afford fuel.

Unless it gets really out of hand I am going to keep traveling and eat out less. Like someone said some time ago, if you can't afford the fuel park it. I hope that does not happen.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is a comforting thought for yall. Fuel costs in Gillette, Wy is one of the cheapest in the country. Go figure. Prove it to yourself by checking it out online. Several years ago when Diesel was $4.45 a gallon we went to the Escapade in Gillette and it was 20 cents a gallon cheaper then it was in Houston where the fuel was made. So get a huge tank when going to Gillette and fill up the huge tank before leaving Gillette.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Without getting political I just want to say that I will cover my increasing fuel costs at the ballot box this year. So instead of remembering the Alamo I am remembering lower fuel costs. LOL

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
"Holy price-gouge Batman" $4.60 this morning at the local 76 station! Current prices are going up in 10 cent increments.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Here is a comforting thought for yall. Fuel costs in Gillette, Wy is one of the cheapest in the country. Go figure. Prove it to yourself by checking it out online. Several years ago when Diesel was $4.45 a gallon we went to the Escapade in Gillette and it was 20 cents a gallon cheaper then it was in Houston where the fuel was made. So get a huge tank when going to Gillette and fill up the huge tank before leaving Gillette.

26 hours ago it was $3.86 at the Shell station in Gillette. I paid $3.72 yesterday here in BFE Oklahoma. Diesel at Sam's Club in Tulsa is currently $3.69 (40 miles from me).

gasbuddy_logo.gif

mmomega

AnyTimer
$3.72 in Mansfield while it's $4.11 at the Loves not too far away, it actually dropped a few pennies since last night, with Kroger card it's $3.69 and I have a dollar off/gal saved. So tempting to use it since I have 40 miles to empty......must save points.

loafer

Steve
Look what you have started 96 posts in such a short time must be a forum record.
10 cent jumps getting crazy out there
Bill

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Steve
Look what you have started 96 posts in such a short time must be a forum record. 10 cent jumps getting crazy out there Bill

Oops! I guess everyone has an interest as it is rising rather quickly! Last years thread ended with 114 posts...maybe we can beat that! :) It does surprise me that some areas are about a $1.00 per gallon less than we pay here! On a side note, Lynden is only a few miles from two oil refineries down the road at Birch Bay (Ferndale). Someone told me after the product is refined it is shipped to California and then transported back to WA. I can't confirm that but it might partially explain the price?

Have a great day!

jbeletti

Just bought $200 of diesel at 4.399 at a Shell station on Dempster Avenue in Niles, IL this afternoon. Price continues to move up in Chicago. I think when this thread started a few days ago, I was tracking just under $4 per gallon around here.

Jim

loafer

Hey Steve
We saw Diesel at $4.34 per gallon at Chevron ,Smith road and the Guide Meridian today. Most others in your area are $4.59 and higher
I saw a report where there was a fire at Cherry point refinery near you putting their production behind. That even affects jet fuel they supply to Vancouver airport so it doesnt take much to disrupt pricing and supply .
Bill