R-U-Legal California Drivers?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I did not know till this past week that a class A is required here in North Carolina to tow a camper weighing over 10,000 lbs.I talked to a NC highway patrolman the other day about towing a golf car trailer behind my 5er. He told me it was ok with the proper endorsements and that the drivers license examiner could tell me what endorsement was needed.I called the drivers license office and they told me that I did not need any endorsements for the class A or double towing. Now who do I listen to. The lady I spoke to was very nice and she told me she would investigate. She called me back with the answer. She had talked to the motor carrier guy who told her that I needed the Class A to tow over 10,000 lbs and that double towing in NC is illegal.He went on to explain that something like a Swivel Wheel that bolts or welds to the frame of the camper is ok.So it is off I go to the drivers license office I go to get my Class A.

flamingknitter

It is my understanding that if you need a non-commercial A license, and you go to DMV and confess your sins, and if they understand what you are talking about, you take the test and get a learner's permit. Your go back later with a "licensed driver" to take your driving test with your rig. So, if you are out driving your rig without the "licensed driver" and you get caught - Which is worse?

The guys who did my driving lesson said that if you get in an accident, you will be cited for driving without a license. There is a testing site near my house, guess I better get busy studying.

Marybeth

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I did not know till this past week that a class A is required here in North Carolina to tow a camper weighing over 10,000 lbs.I talked to a NC highway patrolman the other day about towing a golf car trailer behind my 5er. He told me it was ok with the proper endorsements and that the drivers license examiner could tell me what endorsement was needed.I called the drivers license office and they told me that I did not need any endorsements for the class A or double towing. Now who do I listen to. The lady I spoke to was very nice and she told me she would investigate. She called me back with the answer. She had talked to the motor carrier guy who told her that I needed the Class A to tow over 10,000 lbs and that double towing in NC is illegal.He went on to explain that something like a Swivel Wheel that bolts or welds to the frame of the camper is ok.So it is off I go to the drivers license office I go to get my Class A.

NC General Statute Chapter 20 4.01.(2a)

20‑4.01. Definitions.

(2a) Class A Motor Vehicle. – A combination of motor vehicles that meets either of the following descriptions:
a. Has a combined GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.
b. Has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

NC DMV drivers license office doesn't know WTH they are talking about most are idiots. They laughed at me and tried to tell me I didn't need a class A CDL to haul RVs commercially and actually tried to talk me out of what I knew I needed to haul combinations over 26k GCWR with trailers over 10k GVWR commercially. Once I hook up to an RV for a payday it is no longer an RV, it is a commercial vehicle.

Insist on getting the license you need and don't worry about them.

I did my CDL "A" road testing at a community college 250 miles from my house instead of waiting 2 months for the DMV testers....... This also allowed me to sneak to the testing site with a 14,800 lb GVWR 42' 3 car gooseneck I borrowed and my 11,500 GVWR dually before anybody showed up to see me pull in without a licensed driver at the wheel:D.

Took my magnetic signs off my doors too;)

RV doubles is a No No in NC

§ 20‑116. Size of vehicles and loads.
(a) The total outside width of any vehicle or the load thereon shall not exceed 102 inches, except as otherwise provided in this section. When hogsheads of tobacco are being transported, a tolerance of six inches is allowed. When sheet or bale tobacco is being transported the load must not exceed a width of 114 inches at the top of the load and the bottom of the load at the truck bed must not exceed the width of 102 inches inclusive of allowance for load shifting or settling. Vehicles (other than passenger buses) that do not exceed the overall width of 102 inches and otherwise provided in this section may be operated in accordance with G.S. 20‑115.1(c), (f), and (g).
(b) No passenger‑type vehicle or recreational vehicle shall be operated on any highway with any load carried thereon extending beyond the line of the fenders on the left side of such vehicle nor extending more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on the right side thereof.
(c) No vehicle, unladen or with load, shall exceed a height of 13 feet, six inches. Provided, however, that neither the State of North Carolina nor any agency or subdivision thereof, nor any person, firm or corporation, shall be required to raise, alter, construct or reconstruct any underpass, wire, pole, trestle, or other structure to permit the passage of any vehicle having a height, unladen or with load, in excess of 12 feet, six inches. Provided further, that the operator or owner of any vehicle having an overall height, whether unladen or with load, in excess of 12 feet, six inches, shall be liable for damage to any structure caused by such vehicle having a height in excess of 12 feet, six inches.
(d) Maximum Length. – The following maximum lengths apply to vehicles. A truck‑tractor and semitrailer shall be regarded as two vehicles for the purpose of determining lawful length and license taxes.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a single vehicle having two or three axles shall not exceed 40 feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(2) Trucks transporting unprocessed cotton from farm to gin shall not exceed 50 feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(3) Recreational vehicles shall not exceed 45 feet in length overall, excluding bumpers and mirrors.
(e) Except as provided by G.S. 20‑115.1, no combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than two units and no such combination of vehicles shall exceed a total length of 60 feet inclusive of front and rear bumpers, subject to the following exceptions: Motor vehicle combinations of one semitrailer of not more than 48 feet in length and a truck tractor (power unit) may exceed the 60‑foot maximum length. Said length limitation shall not apply to vehicles operated in the daytime when transporting poles, pipe, machinery or other objects of a structural nature which cannot readily be dismembered, nor to such vehicles transporting such objects operated at nighttime by a public utility when required for emergency repair of public service facilities or properties, but in respect to such night transportation every such vehicle and the load thereon shall be equipped with a sufficient number of clearance lamps on both sides and marker lamps upon the extreme ends of said projecting load to clearly mark the dimensions of such load: Provided that vehicles designed and used exclusively for the transportation of motor vehicles shall be permitted an overhang tolerance front or rear not to exceed five feet. Provided, that wreckers may tow a truck, combination tractor and trailer, trailer, or any other disabled vehicle or combination of vehicles to a place for repair, parking, or storage within 50 miles of the point where the vehicle was disabled and may tow a truck, tractor, or other replacement vehicle to the site of the disabled vehicle. Provided, however, that a combination of a house trailer used as a mobile home, together with its towing vehicle, shall not exceed a total length of 55 feet exclusive of front and rear bumpers. Provided further, that the said limitation that no combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than two units shall not apply to trailers not exceeding three in number drawn by a motor vehicle used by municipalities for the removal of domestic and commercial refuse and street rubbish, but such combination of vehicles shall not exceed a total length of 50 feet inclusive of front and rear bumpers. Provided further, that the said limitation that no combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than two units shall not apply to a combination of vehicles coupled together by a saddle mount device used to transport motor vehicles in a driveway service when no more than three saddle mounts are used and provided further, that equipment used in said combination is approved by the safety regulations of the Federal Highway Administration and the safety rules of the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety.

G.S. 20-115.1 Pertains to Semi tractor and double trailers. A pickup does not qualify as a Semi.

We picked up our BH there in Feb this year and nothing was said about a state inspection. We are in Wyoming now guess I'll check that out when we get back in Sept. R. Seale

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Went last week and got my class a's.No big deal. 50 question test,multiple choice. The questions were kinda tricky. Took my time and thought each question out. Still missed a few. Those that I missed,I just did not think through. Also had to drive with the examiner.He checked that all my lights worked.Backed up,drove around the block,pulled backed into the office,done.When he saw my rig he said,Hmm, someone drove down here illegally. I said yes ,do you want to ask me how long I have been driving that way. I had no idea I needed anything special. By the way I live in North Carolina.

wdk450

Catch 22?

Group:
Upon reading the part of the Ca. RV manual, it seems to me that to pass the Class A non-commercial test you must already HAVE a 16000 GVR fifth wheel and truck to be tested in.
Also, how critical is the medical health pass/fail criteria?

I sure would like to have answers to these questions before I go out and invest in a 5th wheel and hauler.

Bill Knight
Sacramento

Shadowchek

Group:
Upon reading the part of the Ca. RV manual, it seems to me that to pass the Class A non-commercial test you must already HAVE a 16000 GVR fifth wheel and truck to be tested in.

I sure would like to have answers to these questions before I go out and invest in a 5th wheel and hauler.

Bill Knight
Sacramento

You can go up to 15'000 lbs with the endorsement so as long as you stay under that you don't have to worry about that.

mikenjulie

Group:

Bill Knight
Sacramento
I just finished the California non-commercial class A requirements. Since I had not renewed my license in the past year I had to take the written test for the non-commercial and all other license endorsement I have. Cost $28.00. The medical / health is nothing more than you answering questions about your health and the name and address of your doctor. This has to be filled out every 2 years. You can get the document online from the CA DMV.
The trailer must have a GVWR of more than 15,000 pounds. The driving test isn't bad and the vehicle inspection is quite simple.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
since i was the first fool to get the fix it ticket in tulare county on our first day on a month long trip, i passed the rv endorsement for rigs between 10-15000 lbs. it was easy 20 questions and i passed on the first try. just got my new license in the mail. now what will i use as an excuse next time when i get stopped for speeding in ca. got very lucky the chp was a nice guy and only nailed me for the endorsement. cost 10 bucks to dmv to fix it. whew!!!!

mcrane

I'm from Florida and don't know a thing about CA. Laws but one thing you may want to check , I know I'm a commercial class A driver and we have different laws when it comes to speeding tickets, going to trafic school, DUI limits, ect. even when we are in are personal vehicles. You may want to make sure that all your changing is your endorsements. It probably doesn't being that you are not commercial, but I would still check it out.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
why get the A non commercial license when all u need is the RV endorsement if your rig is between 10-15,000 pounds at least in CA.