Bighorn - Tires blowing out

In Dec 2015 I took a trip blowing 2 tires, the second one causing considerable damage. On 11/25/16 I drove from Ft Lauderdale, Fl to Fort Myers, Fl and again blew 2 tires. All of the tires that blew were Powerking Towmax ST235/80R16, load range E. After unloading the trailer I took it to a truck scale and weighed only the axles. It weighed 11,900 lbs. Each tire is rated for 3.520 Lb, for a total of 14.080 Lb. I believe that we had less than 1,000 Lbs of total cargo. I have no explanation. I noticed that when backing up with a sharp turn, such as backing into a campsite, that the wheels on each side flex in opposite directions. I have to buy new tires and want to know if I should consider putting on Load range F, but I don't know if the wheels can handle the 95PSI tire pressure. Advice please.

danemayer

Hi dbechler51,

If you look at the inside surface of your wheels, you should find stamped into the metal either a PSI or a weight rating. If it says either 110 PSI or 3750 lbs., you should go to load range G tires. Sailun S637s are reasonably priced and have a very good reputation.

If the wheels are only rated for 80 PSI, I'd suggest you get new wheels along with the new tires.

Last edited by a moderator:

BusManRG

Advice please.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your unit, but glad no one was hurt. Tires, tire pressures, and axle weights are a big deal around here. Just sit back and in a few hours the advice will come pouring in!!

I will say that I think we have load range G.

Sandy

Aandaar

Will never put Blowmax on any trailer I own. Currently running Goodyear 110 psi. Next set will be the Sailuns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

If your rims are not rated for the Sailun S637s or Goodyear G614s, get new rims and good tires. I have the Goodyear 614's and don't confuse the 614s with any other Goodyear tire. The others are as bad as the Towmax.

dbbls59

I'm pretty sure your wheels are rated for 110 psi. Check the inside spokes and it should tell you. Many, myself included, have went with Sailun 637. About half the price of Goodyear G614 and just as good.

rhodies1

In Dec 2015 I took a trip blowing 2 tires, the second one causing considerable damage. On 11/25/16 I drove from Ft Lauderdale, Fl to Fort Myers, Fl and again blew 2 tires. All of the tires that blew were Powerking Towmax ST235/80R16, load range E. After unloading the trailer I took it to a truck scale and weighed only the axles. It weighed 11,900 lbs. Each tire is rated for 3.520 Lb, for a total of 14.080 Lb. I believe that we had less than 1,000 Lbs of total cargo. I have no explanation. I noticed that when backing up with a sharp turn, such as backing into a campsite, that the wheels on each side flex in opposite directions. I have to buy new tires and want to know if I should consider putting on Load range F, but I don't know if the wheels can handle the 95PSI tire pressure. Advice please.

check the back side of your Rims to see what rating is stamped on them,if they are rated to handle 110 psi then go with g rated tires,Goodyear or saliuns "....

carl.swoyer

I'm using Goodyear g14 load rating G 110 psi.
You have to keep up with the air pressure. Running them low will also cause a blow out

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

macjj

I feel your pain, had the same happen to me on a trip a couple years ago. I was warned about Towmax (aka Blowmax) but could not bring myself to replace perfectly good tires. There are multiple threads attributed to this subject, the core causes - Blowmax tires. I replaced all five. Goodyear is often recommended, I got Yokohama (available at the time). With my issue, tire warranty and factory corporation was a waste of energy. Heartland does not cover (as car manufactures do not cover). Good thing, I have been told that Heartland no longer uses this brand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary521

Jim, you now realize that's those "perfectly good tires" are not so perfectly good. Many others have ignored our warnings and reported here that they have had a problem.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just went and rescued a buddy today. I haven't seen him in so long I didn't even know he had a big horn. He had 4 5-year old Blowmax tires on his Big horn all with about 75% good tread. Well In 300 miles going from LA to Sacramento he blew out 3 of the tires. wiped out both sides of his trailer. I felt bad for him. I change out the tire and then brought him up here to my local Les Schwab and changed out that forth one before he went any further. He still has to make it all the way home to Coose Bay Oregon. Now I'm trying to get him to join the club and come to a few rally's.
For those of you that read my post a few days ago on how I got to where I am today. He is one of the wise old timers I followed around years ago and taught me how to truck.

a5953ae099be1efe2733f5834ea6b0f7.jpg

c482ef98251d062351b7bc0b56481f36.jpg

Last edited:

tireman9

One thing that is missing from the discussions of tire failures. That is the facts needed to learn why these tires are failing. Some simply say it is because they were made in China. IMO we might as well try and blame the failures on the color of paint used on the tire plant. Tires fail for specific reasons such as low air pressure, overload, high speed degradation due to excess heat (speed).
Having a few well lit and in focus high quality pictures of the failed tires would help us make informed and educated opinion on the real reason(s) for the tire failures.
How many have confirmed the load on each tire? Axles to not always split the load evenly. Also very few axles have their load split evenly 50/50 % side to side. ST tires made without Service description have a MAx speed rating of 65 mph. This is not an average but a Max. How many are running TPMS so they get a warning when a tire develops a leak. How many are using calibrated pressure gauges.
Because of special forces that multi axle TT place on tires (as much as 24% higher than experienced by tires on TV) tires in TT application will have a shorter life than tires in other applications unless significant changes in loading and inflation are made.

NascarNut

We just returned from a trip to lancaster in our Big Horn. It;s a 2014 that of course had PowerKing tires on it. These tires have less than 8,000 mile on them. One tire blew out on the turnpike, blowing out the side of our RV. When we took it to our dealer, he said another tire was ready to blow - it had a bulge. ... We are replacing all of them with GoodYears. ...

- - - Updated - - -

I feel your pain, had the same happen to me on a trip a couple years ago. I was warned about Towmax (aka Blowmax) but could not bring myself to replace perfectly good tires. There are multiple threads attributed to this subject, the core causes - Blowmax tires. I replaced all five. Goodyear is often recommended, I got Yokohama (available at the time). With my issue, tire warranty and factory corporation was a waste of energy. Heartland does not cover (as car manufactures do not cover). Good thing, I have been told that Heartland no longer uses this brand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sadly, they still put them on their 2014 models!

Oregon_Camper

We just returned from a trip to lancaster in our Big Horn. It;s a 2014 that of course had PowerKing tires on it. These tires have less than 8,000 mile on them. One tire blew out on the turnpike, blowing out the side of our RV. When we took it to our dealer, he said another tire was ready to blow - it had a bulge. .... We are replacing all of them with GoodYears. ...!

Just wondering if you were using a TPMS when this happened?

rhodies1

We just returned from a trip to lancaster in our Big Horn. It;s a 2014 that of course had PowerKing tires on it. These tires have less than 8,000 mile on them. One tire blew out on the turnpike, blowing out the side of our RV. When we took it to our dealer, he said another tire was ready to blow - it had a bulge..... We are replacing all of them with GoodYears. ....

Nascarnut,contact myself directly at the following email address and I'll give you the contact details re your question,Heartland forum will not allow the info to be posted,we complain about this crap that's on our units but can't help each other out with info.
Rhodies@eastlink.ca
- - - Updated

mlpeloquin

One thing that is missing from the discussions of tire failures. That is the facts needed to learn why these tires are failing. Some simply say it is because they were made in China. IMO we might as well try and blame the failures on the color of paint used on the tire plant. Tires fail for specific reasons such as low air pressure, overload, high speed degradation due to excess heat (speed).
Having a few well lit and in focus high quality pictures of the failed tires would help us make informed and educated opinion on the real reason(s) for the tire failures.
How many have confirmed the load on each tire? Axles to not always split the load evenly. Also very few axles have their load split evenly 50/50 % side to side. ST tires made without Service description have a MAx speed rating of 65 mph. This is not an average but a Max. How many are running TPMS so they get a warning when a tire develops a leak. How many are using calibrated pressure gauges.
Because of special forces that multi axle TT place on tires (as much as 24% higher than experienced by tires on TV) tires in TT application will have a shorter life than tires in other applications unless significant changes in loading and inflation are made.

Remember the Firestone tire fiasco on the Ford cars. It only takes sloppy manufacturing to make a great tire fail. It seems that the rubber to steel belt adhesion, like the Firestone's, is failing. Perhaps the same problem. They are not neutralizing the acid flux used in the steal belt seam. It then quickly degrades over time the rubber to steel adhesion. The degrading takes the same amount of time, but is dependent on the strength of the acid left behind. Thus 120 miles or less to 8K miles or more. Bridgestone a Japanese company owns Firestone and closed the plant and terminated all the workers. It a shame that a few workers taking short cuts caused everyone to loose their job. It gave Firestone a big black eye and they lost the Ford Automotive Manufacturing contract. The design of the tire maybe fine, but the manufacturing process may not be. Not for us to guess, but a tire to avoid.