Bighorn - Tires blowing out

chiefaret

Re: Bighorn Tires

Even though Heartland customer service screwed me over on a problem I had, I liked the Big Horn 5er. I researched the unit on the Heartland site and in the specs on all the units it lists tires as "LT235/85R16-G" So today I went and looked at them at a dealer. Both units I looked at had ST tires, on a Tow King, and these were 2018 units. It is almost like Heartland is doing a bait and switch on their web site. Don't think you can trust what they say in their web site or their brochures. Maybe I will have to look to another brand, but then most brands are owned by Thor, so not sure can trust any of them.

danemayer

Re: Bighorn Tires

Even though Heartland customer service screwed me over on a problem I had, I liked the Big Horn 5er. I researched the unit on the Heartland site and in the specs on all the units it lists tires as "LT235/85R16-G" So today I went and looked at them at a dealer. Both units I looked at had ST tires, on a Tow King, and these were 2018 units. It is almost like Heartland is doing a bait and switch on their web site. Don't think you can trust what they say in their web site or their brochures. Maybe I will have to look to another brand, but then most brands are owned by Thor, so not sure can trust any of them.

chiefaret,

If the Bighorns you looked at had Tow King tires, you should ask the dealer how they got there because I'm pretty sure that's not what was on those rigs when they left the factory.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It sounds like you were looking at Bighorn Travelers. These are "full profile" 5th wheels, not part of the "luxury" line that Bighorns fall in to. According to the Heartland website, the Traveler comes with "E" rated tires, not "G".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were just on a factory tour. In the plant where Landmark, BigHorn and Big Country are made, sat a pallet of Sailun G rated tires. They do not put TowMax/Powerking on the luxury BigHorn.
7474419edb5f79530c567e42910d3058.jpg

(BigHorns were being made that day.)

chiefaret

It sounds like you were looking at Bighorn Travelers. These are "full profile" 5th wheels, not part of the "luxury" line that Bighorns fall in to. According to the Heartland website, the Traveler comes with "E" rated tires, not "G".

We were looking at a 3575EL and a 3270RS, both are not travelers

- - - Updated - - -

We were just on a factory tour. In the plant where Landmark, BigHorn and Big Country are made, sat a pallet of Sailun G rated tires. They do not put TowMax/Powerking on the luxury BigHorn.
7474419edb5f79530c567e42910d3058.jpg

(BigHorns were being made that day.)

Probably props for the tours to impress everyone there.

Kbvols

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered a 3575EL in March and took possession 3 weeks ago. Heartland is short 5 "props" that found their way to my coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
My 3575 EL was made 9/26/16 a 2017 Model Year. We purchased March 5th of this year. It has Sailun tires as well.

All Landmark and Bighorn he had on his lot were Sailun.

I Concur the skid of Prop Tires where present as well.

TravelTiger

- - - Updated - - -

No, there was not any staging. It was definitely a "work in progress" day.

I would look at the sticker on the door-side of the unit to see when it was built. This would also say on it what tires are spec'd for that unit from the factory. If the tires are spec'd G and the tires are E, the dealer switched them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If the tires are spec'd G and the tires are E, the dealer switched them.

I guess the bottom line is this . . .

Doesn't matter what tires were shipped from the factory (unless it is a pre-ordered unit) . . .

Whatever tires were on it the day you looked at it on the dealers lot ARE the tires that will come with the unit unless the customers requests a different brand.

I don't think it is against the law for a dealer to change stuff on the RV's that they have for sale on their lot.

I don't like it . . . but what can we really do about it?

TravelTiger

I guess the bottom line is this . . .

Doesn't matter what tires were shipped from the factory (unless it is a pre-ordered unit) . . .

Whatever tires were on it the day you looked at it on the dealers lot ARE the tires that will come with the unit unless the customers requests a different brand.

I don't think it is against the law for a dealer to change stuff on the RV's that they have for sale on their lot.

I don't like it . . . but what can we really do about it?

John, if the unit has an incorrectly rated (specifically underrated) tire from what the manufacturer specs, then yes, it is a big deal. You're basically pulling a ticking time bomb. If e rated tires are on a rig spec'd to have g rated, they are not going to handle the load for very long.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, if the unit has an incorrectly rated (specifically underrated) tire from what the manufacturer specs, then yes, it is a big deal. You're basically pulling a ticking time bomb. If e rated tires are on a rig spec'd to have g rated, they are not going to handle the load for very long.

I do understand that . . .

I'm just saying that there is nothing illegal about dealers swapping tires on trailers they have on their lots for sale.

I guess it is up to the consumer to look at the label on the side of the trailer to make sure the right rated tires are on it.

I'm guessing that new Landmarks, Bighorns and all of the others come from the factory with Sailuns or Goodyears on them, but some go off of the dealers lots with BlowMax tires on them because most likely they got swapped out for customers in the know about the BlowMax issues and the dealerships just swap the tires from one trailer to the other to keep those of us in the know happy.

Since I had just put a brand new set of five tires on our Trail Runner one week before we traded it in for our Prowler, I had them swapped at the dealership as the Prowler had a nice brand new shiny set of BlowMax tires on it, and the new tires I had just bought had the same load rating as the BlowMax tires and the sticker on the side of the Prowler.

I'm looking at a new set of tires for the Prowler soon . . . probably Maxxis 8008's from load range D to E.

I have been running G rated Goodyear tires on my living qt horse trailers for 15 years because there was limited alternatives until recently. They blow out as well. I found you don't go more than 4 years no matter how much tread life is left.

Wmnmy

We have the 2016 bighorn and it came with sailun tires from factory we absolutely love these tires ..... I won't use anything else although on my cyclone I got rid of the blow max and put Carlisle tires on it never had a problem going from west to east coast and back ..

TravelTiger

We had the wheel off due to a (long story for another time.)

I looked carefully at the tire, and could not see any noticeable wear after 18 mo, about 7k.

BigGuy82

I just went and rescued a buddy today. I haven't seen him in so long I didn't even know he had a big horn. He had 4 5-year old Blowmax tires on his Big horn all with about 75% good tread. Well In 300 miles going from LA to Sacramento he blew out 3 of the tires. wiped out both sides of his trailer. I felt bad for him. I change out the tire and then brought him up here to my local Les Schwab and changed out that forth one before he went any further. He still has to make it all the way home to Coose Bay Oregon. Now I'm trying to get him to join the club and come to a few rally's.
For those of you that read my post a few days ago on how I got to where I am today. He is one of the wise old timers I followed around years ago and taught me how to truck.

a5953ae099be1efe2733f5834ea6b0f7.jpg

c482ef98251d062351b7bc0b56481f36.jpg

The truly amazing thing is that he had 5 year old Towmax tires! It seems that they usually last about 5 hours after leaving the dealers lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tireman9

No, there was not any staging. It was definitely a "work in progress" day.

I would look at the sticker on the door-side of the unit to see when it was built. This would also say on it what tires are spec'd for that unit from the factory. If the tires are spec'd G and the tires are E, the dealer switched them.

If the tire placard says LR-G and the dealer delivered LR-E then that is a violation of federal law.
1. Send report to NHTSA
2. Capture picture of the placard sticker
3. Capture pictures of tire Load Range and the DOT serial number
4. Contact dealer and ask when they will come to you to correct the "non-compliance" issue of selling an illegal vehicle?