Indentation on linoleum floor

btmauser

We just went to pick up our 2011 Bighorn 3585. We were so excited and now so dissapointed. We ordered the upgraded refrigerator with the 4 doors. There were 2 indentations on the floor right in front of it. We were told that the factory forgot to put in the extra supports under the refrigerator and therefore it now puts too much weight on the rollers on the slide. There are going to have to tear it all apart. From what we understand, the entire counter with the sink, the bottom of the rig, the refrigerator and whatever else will have to be removed. They have to replace the linoleum as well. Isn't the flooring one of the first things installed? If so, it seems to us that the integrity of this camper could be jeopordized. Has anyone had this problem? We are very unhappy and haven't even picked it up. Oh and yes, we are brand new to the forum!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Btmauser, welcome to the forum. We have a 3585RL with the four door refer as well. We love it. I can understand your disappointment. That flooring is pretty resilient and might just pop back when it warms up. If they say they can fix it, they will do a good job. I have seen them build the Bighorns and I believe that they can take one apart just as fast. I don't think anything will will be compromised.
Be sure to come back to the forum regularly and especially to let us know after the repair.

Peace
Dave

btmauser

Thank you for your reply! I hope you are right! Our dealer said that with this larger frig, there has to be an additional support under it that isn't there. That is why the rollers are dragging. We were so bummed out that we couldn't pick it up. The repair is being done at the dealer and not the factory. I hope they can do it! Didn't sound like they had done this before. Everything else looked great and we are very excited to pick it up! I will let you know and thanks again.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I noticed the same thing on our BH after traveling for the day. I looked underneath and saw the roller and thought I'll need to look into this. A short time later it was barley noticeable and didn't give it another thought till I saw your post. Please keep us informed.

noobee

If this is a brand new unit that you have not paid for, I suggest you walk away. I would not take the risk that this problem will ever be resolved properly on a long term basis.

CS

Bobby A

I have had my leno replaced twice by the factory and they did an AWSOME job, on my 3580 they just removed the hole off door slide out. The reason why the factory did it is because a dealer butchered it. DO NOT let anyone touch the leno other than the factory. Trust me, been there done that !! As far as the indentation, with the slidout in the out position it might disapear, I still put a thin peace of wood under one of my rollers when bringing the slide in. The off door slide is very heavy.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've got this same problem in my Landmark. After a year's use, you can see the indentation in the lino made by the slide rollers. In fact, not only is the lino showing marks, on the entire length of the slide, the base piece of wood shows cracks and is splitting.

I took it into my dealer and he took pictures of it to send to the factory. We haven't heard back from them yet, but it is certainly something that concerns me. I thought, if nothing else, I'll make sure the factory folks see it next June when I'm in Goshen for the rally.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Indentations in the linoleum under the refridgerator or any heavy slide out is a common occurance. When the slide out is in the weight of the slide out will sit on the lino and cause this. Heartland has made this issue better by going to a 12" rubber roller rather than a hard plastic roller. There is not a repair for this other than putting down a thin plastic protector or something similar to this to protect the lino when the slide out is in. No customer should allow a dealer to tear into the flooring or install bracing or any other repair of such to remedy this as it will not work.

In cases where the slide out is riding onthe lino too hard and tearing or causing more damage than just an indent your dealer can adjust the slide out to ease this.

btmauser

Update! I spoke with the factory about the issue and my concerns of having the dealer make the repair. Eric told me that this is now a known issue and they have come up with an easy fix that the dealer can handle. He said they won't be tearing apart anything. The slide can hyper extend and that is how they make the repair. There is a part they are installing as well. I'm not sure what that is, but it probably goes under the frig. I will get back to you all as soon as we pick it up. It may be a few weeks. Thank you all for your feed back!

btmauser

Thank you for your response. Could you please read mine because I talked with Eric at the factory and he gave me a different answer. Now I am confused. Please clarify. Thank you.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
the linoleum we use in our products have a foam backer unlike many other linoleums in the market that have a paper backer. The indentation should come back a little over time but after awhile of sitting may not. You can ease this by installing a piece of thin plastic or even a section of luan in the area to sread out the pressure and prevent such a defined indentation. However, there is nothing that can be installed to prevent this issue. It does not go into the decking it is only in the lino.