Living room slide out ceiling lights

plhroofer

2013 Elkridge 37u lights in slide out for living room don't work is there a switch If so where how do I troubleshoot2024-01-0907.21.152561243214916074994.jpg

mlpeloquin

Connections to the lights are above the lights. There maybe a loose connections there. You have to pull the light down, release the spring clips, and the wiring with the wire nuts are exposed. Check for12V there. At least that is the first place I would start.

plhroofer

Connections to the lights are above the lights. There maybe a loose connections there. You have to pull the light down, release the spring clips, and the wiring with the wire nuts are exposed. Check for12V there. At least that is the first place I would start.
Let me clarify I have no idea where the switch is or what switch it is. There is a ceiling light switch on the main panel but that does not do anything for the slide outs.

wdk450

re: "Let me clarify I have no idea where the switch is or what switch it is. There is a ceiling light switch on the main panel but that does not do anything for the slide outs."

My thought is that if you have an open circuit due to wiring problems in the slideout area the switch won't work. Fix the wiring problems and hopefully the switch will operate the lights.

plhroofer

re: "Let me clarify I have no idea where the switch is or what switch it is. There is a ceiling light switch on the main panel but that does not do anything for the slide outs."

My thought is that if you have an open circuit due to wiring problems in the slideout area the switch won't work. Fix the wiring problems and hopefully the switch will operate the lights.
Like I said I have no idea what the switch is for the lights. The switch that says ceiling lights operates the camper lights does nothing for the slide lights I've got no idea if it's supposed to or not That's what I'm trying to find out

plhroofer

2nd place to look would be underneath the slide for a junction box for loose connection
The only box is 110 for some reason
2nd place to look would be underneath the slide for a junction box for loose connectio One junction box 110 volt for the plug between the two windows. Like I said if I knew what switch control the lights that I'm more than capable of troubleshooting everything but I don't know what switch controls them. That's what I've been asking for what switch if anybody knows?

Bogie

I don't have your unit. But I looked for sales videos on line of the 37U. Both 2013 and 2014 models. In all the videos, there appears to be a switch on the wall at the opposite end of the slide by the dinette. This is consistent, in my view, as to how Heartland has wired in slide lights on their RV's, including mine.

So I would start by pulling that switch off the wall and checking for 12 volts there with a voltmeter. If no power at the switch, there should be a junction box on the frame under the slide as Dahillbilly suggests. If you find 12 volt power there, the flexablen cable between that junction box and the slide may have a broken conductor.

If no power at the junction box, check for a blown fuse.

Or there is a bad wiring connection where the lights themselves were connected to the cable that comes from the switch.

Or, though a bit unlikely, the lights themselves may have failed.

You will have to find the fault through a process of elimination using a voltmeter.

Last edited: