No outlets on GFCI circuit work, won't reset

mixie57

We have 1 gfi reset in the bathroom.

It protects the living room outlets/kitchen outlets/ behind couch and the underbelly outlets both sides and the outlets on the bed frame. Rest of the rig is using normal outlets.

Came home, turned on fireplace to take the chill off. It worked maybe couple of minutes then went off. No breakers or fuses blown. Go in bathroom and find the emergency lighting plug we have in there by the sink has activated. I'm thinking, oh the GFI blew. Try to reset and it won't. Then we discover the outlets in the living don't work; no TV, no fireplace, no laptops charging. Then we discover the outlet in the basement isn't working because the portable porch light that is plugged in to it, won't come on. THEN we discover the outlets on each side of the bed don't work either. We think no biggy, replace the bathroom outlet and that will fix it. Not so! Doesn't work on shore power or generator. Now what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Do you have a power real for your power cable? Weather you do or not you may have lost one side of the 50 amp service. Unplug and look for a loose connection, in side the power real or back side of the 50 amp connector, and at the back of the circuit breaker box. Check continuity of you main power cable to make sure the connection to and through the connector(s) are good. Then it is a process of elimination as to where the junctions are made. There are no hidden junctions. All connections are made in junction boxes under the slide(s) and in the plugs. Not fun, but I had a loose neutral and one hot lead in the power real. I also had lost power to three plugs. The open wire was in a working plug.

danemayer

Hi mixie57,

Your 120V power distribution starts with the 50 amp service at the campground pedestal. It consists of two 50 amps legs, L1 and L2. Those legs connect at the circuit breaker panel where 1/2 of the breakers use L1 and half use L2. It sounds like you're missing one of the legs.

Since it also doesn't work on the generator, I'd look at the place where shore power and generator power meet, which is the automatic transfer switch. The problem could also be on the backside of the circuit breaker panel.

If you have a volt meter and are comfortable working with 120V high amperage electrical, take voltage readings on the backside of the circuit breaker panel inside the coach. You'll have to take out a few mounting screws to pull it away from the wall. Disconnect power before starting. Then after the breaker panel is in a safe position, reconnect power so you can take measurements. Also look for damaged wires.

If that's all ok, you'll have to locate the transfer switch, which is usually behind the rear wall of the basement pass through storage. With power disconnected, you can open the box. There's a wiring diagram on the inside of the cover. After reconnecting power, VERY CAREFULLY take voltage readings. You should have 120V between L1 and neutral, and also between L2 and neutral. 240V across L1 and L2.

mixie57

Hi mixie57,

Your 120V power distribution starts with the 50 amp service at the campground pedestal. It consists of two 50 amps legs, L1 and L2. Those legs connect at the circuit breaker panel where 1/2 of the breakers use L1 and half use L2. It sounds like you're missing one of the legs.

Since it also doesn't work on the generator, I'd look at the place where shore power and generator power meet, which is the automatic transfer switch. The problem could also be on the backside of the circuit breaker panel.

If you have a volt meter and are comfortable working with 120V high amperage electrical, take voltage readings on the backside of the circuit breaker panel inside the coach. You'll have to take out a few mounting screws to pull it away from the wall. Disconnect power before starting. Then after the breaker panel is in a safe position, reconnect power so you can take measurements. Also look for damaged wires.

If that's all ok, you'll have to locate the transfer switch, which is usually behind the rear wall of the basement pass through storage. With power disconnected, you can open the box. There's a wiring diagram on the inside of the cover. After reconnecting power, VERY CAREFULLY take voltage readings. You should have 120V between L1 and neutral, and also between L2 and neutral. 240V across L1 and L2.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will check those connections.

dlw930

I would also suspect a short or loose connection in the wiring associated with the outlets/appliances protected by the GFCI. Since it was the fireplace that worked and then went off, that would be the first thing I'd check. If the GFCI is seeing 120v coming in, the problem wouldn't be the transfer switch. If nothing coming in to GFCI, the TS or wiring would be suspect.

HOGHAULER

Fireplace shouldn't be on same circuit,it has its own but breaker.That the issue I had fireplace breaker was not hooked up.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

HOGHAULER

We have 1 gfi reset in the bathroom.

It protects the living room outlets/kitchen outlets/ behind couch and the underbelly outlets both sides and the outlets on the bed frame. Rest of the rig is using normal outlets.

Came home, turned on fireplace to take the chill off. It worked maybe couple of minutes then went off. No breakers or fuses blown. Go in bathroom and find the emergency lighting plug we have in there by the sink has activated. I'm thinking, oh the GFI blew. Try to reset and it won't. Then we discover the outlets in the living don't work; no TV, no fireplace, no laptops charging. Then we discover the outlet in the basement isn't working because the portable porch light that is plugged in to it, won't come on. THEN we discover the outlets on each side of the bed don't work either. We think no biggy, replace the bathroom outlet and that will fix it. Not so! Doesn't work on shore power or generator. Now what?

I had exactly the same problem but after replacing the GF I Outlet in the bathroom everything started working again I have not yet isolated the fireplace to its own breaker that's my next job to do. Weirdly enough on her mind even though the light on the GF I Outlet in the back bathroom was off the outlet actually have power at it but no other Outlet Daisy chained to the GF I Outlet including all those Outlets that you mentioned in the bedroom in the basement on either end of the sofa the TV the fireplace and the Blu-ray sound system all on that same circuit

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mixie57

Yes, we replaced the GFCI in the bathroom and still had issues. Replaced again and that resolved it completely. Still don't understand how so much can be affected but happy it's working now.

mixie57

And since the fireplace has its own breaker, why did this issue affect it?