Not sure what I did.....

slborba

I have a 2007 Monticello and took it out for the first time today. I just had it serviced by Leo's RV in MD, to include de-winterize. So, I turned the 4 valves on the basement wall to horizontal position (= city water use) and opened the valves to allow water, cold (in)/hot (out), to go in/out of the water heater. All of a sudden water started pouring from the water heater. Does anyone know what I did wrong or what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are only four places water could come pouring out of the water heater. Two are the inlet and outlets at the rear, inside the basement. The other two are outside, namely the drain/anode rod port and the pressure relief valve. As mentioned, remove the outer cover and look. The anode will be a large nut near the bottom, the relief valve is at the top. If the face is dry and the drain plug is in (anode rod is part of it), then you need to remove the basement wall and examine the two fittings in the back of the tank. The hot water outlet is plastic and at the top. This has been known to crack/break and be the major source of problems. Not too many reported cases of the lower cold water inlet failing.

olcoon

If the anode rod is out, and it's corroded & pitted pretty bad, I'd replace it. They need to be replaced from time to time, depending on use & don't cost that much.

slborba

Update: Unbelievable what I found --- a huge corroded cut/hole on the side of the tank. How does that happen, anyone know? I have never used this unit since I bough it last December from Tom Raper RV in IN.

Steve

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Update: Unbelievable what I found --- a huge corroded cut/hole on the side of the tank. How does that happen, anyone know? I have never used this unit since I bough it last December from Tom Raper RV in IN.

Steve
For sure no testing done by the selling dealer. They should have discovered that leak when it was de-winterized. It sounds like a new water heater is going to be needed.